8 bar battery replacement metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,

Did you get any paperwork from your dealership indicating the full 8yr/1000k defect warr / 5yr/60k again ?

Also, did you pay taxes on the $1200 quoted goodwill from Nissan?

Thanks!

ttweed said:
bmetzner said:
What is a typical wait time for the replacement battery?
Dealer/Nissan EV agree that the battery was ordered back in late June but can not give me any more information on when it will arrive at Dealer.
I can say that currently (Nov., 2016), the replacement battery pack lead time is between 10 and 14 weeks. I just received one that was ordered in the middle of August. This backorder situation is obviously a fluid situation, and will vary according to production schedules of both the battery packs and the new Leaf output, I imagine. I was told 2-10 weeks when I ordered it, and it took about 11.

To summarize my experience I posted about previously, I was denied a warranty replacement of my 8-bar pack because it dropped the ninth bar 3.5 months after the 60-month warranty period. I was, however, offered an 80% discount off a new replacement pack as a "good will" gesture by Nissan. I believe this was because my Leaf was not part of the class action suit and Nissan was afraid I was going to take further legal action regarding the performance of the car compared to their advertising claims regarding degradation made in the past, before we bought it. I wasn't happy about having to pay $1200 for a new battery, but I didn't want to hassle any further and accepted the offer. Now, after having it installed, it is a joy to not have to worry about range and/or charge twice a day to get to where we want to go, so I figure it is money well spent. This will get us through to the 200-mile EVs on the horizon. Here is the Leaf Spy screenshot from driving it home 6 miles from the dealership after the installation, to compare with the image I posted above from when it lost the 9th bar. One consolation is that the new battery has a full 8-yr./100k defect warranty and a new 5-yr./60 month warranty again, since it was purchased and not replaced on warranty, which carries only a 12-month/12k mile warranty to stay at or above 9 bars.
< cut >

mxp said:
Tom,

Did you get any paperwork from your dealership indicating the full 8yr/1000k defect warr / 5yr/60k again ?
Yes. There was a two-page document I had to sign to buy a replacement battery pack that detailed this. It also contained an agreement to turn in my old battery pack as a part of the purchase.

Also, did you pay taxes on the $1200 quoted goodwill from Nissan?
There was no separate line item for tax on the final invoice, but I have no way of knowing if the total replacement job charge that was the basis for calculating my 20% contained tax or not. The dealer noted a total estimated cost for the job on the original work order, and said they could not offer any additional discount on the work, since it was a "good will" job authorized by Nissan, and then calculated my 20% portion of that total, and told me that was what I would be charged. That amount was exactly what I paid when the job was done. There was no breakdown of the initial estimated cost of $5980 for the complete replacement job shown to me, so it could have contained parts, labor, and tax charges in the total cost, for all I know, but there was no additional calculation of tax on the invoice for $1196 that I ultimately paid.

HTH,
TT

Marktm said:
Has anyone had such rapid Ahr/HX decline? - and now even SOH declining. It has been very mild here and all level II charging - with minimal miles!

In short: yes. Can't say it happened over a period of weeks, but I dropped from the (now familiar) 66.14 AHr to < 60 AHr over the summer. The question is: what will happen when we exit winter and/or I start driving/charging more (I haven't had a lot of deep cycling lately).

Marktm said:
My replacement battery seems to be on a rapid decline at slightly over 5 weeks:

Has anyone had such rapid Ahr/HX decline? - and now even SOH declining. It has been very mild here and all level II charging - with minimal miles!
FWIW I'm nearly 8 months and 6,000+ miles in (early May replacement) and I'm at 66.14 ahr, 100% SOH, and HX is even up a bit to 100.63%.

QueenBee said:
FWIW I'm nearly 8 months and 6,000+ miles in (early May replacement) and I'm at 66.14 ahr, 100% SOH, and HX is even up a bit to 100.63%.

As of today (about 2 months - cool weather and one QC), I'm at 64.21 AH, SOH 100%, Hx 96.5%. Most of the cells at positions 72 to 94 have always been 20-30 mv below all other cells (few exceptions). Cells 1-71 are within 5-10 mv. Wonder if I have a marginal/defective replacement? I'm going to keep good records if I ever need to go for the 10 year "defective" warranty.

Hi
I have a 2012 SV 28k. My battery shows 9 bars. (7white 2 red) 41.85 ah 187 gids and 14.5 kwh

I bought the car at carmax for 9k about a year ago. I am very glad I did,

My 5 yr battery warranty is up on November 2017. i hope by summer it drops to 8 bars and get me a new battery.

DP

halamadrid3000 said:
Hi
I have a 2012 SV 28k. My battery shows 9 bars. (7white 2 red) 41.85 ah 187 gids and 14.5 kwh

I bought the car at carmax for 9k about a year ago. I am very glad I did,

My 5 yr battery warranty is up on November 2017. i hope by summer it drops to 8 bars and get me a new battery.

DP

I can pretty much guarantee you'll drop the 9th bar at the first sign of summer (location?). You got a good deal!

I can pretty much guarantee you'll drop the 9th bar at the first sign of summer (location?). You got a good deal!
Hi Straton,

Thank you for the reply. I in southern california. I hope to get it by September 2017.

Marktm,

When was your battery replacement done? And, are you able to obtain the serial number of the battery?

There is a possibility (can't confirm) that you could potentially guess at the battery manufacture date from the serial number.

I think the latest Leaf Spy is able to extract and display the battery serial numbers. Are you able to find out?

Thanks.

Marktm said:
QueenBee said:

As of today (about 2 months - cool weather and one QC), I'm at 64.21 AH, SOH 100%, Hx 96.5%. Most of the cells at positions 72 to 94 have always been 20-30 mv below all other cells (few exceptions). Cells 1-71 are within 5-10 mv. Wonder if I have a marginal/defective replacement? I'm going to keep good records if I ever need to go for the 10 year "defective" warranty.

mxp said:
Marktm,

When was your battery replacement done? And, are you able to obtain the serial number of the battery?

There is a possibility (can't confirm) that you could potentially guess at the battery manufacture date from the serial number.

I think the latest Leaf Spy is able to extract and display the battery serial numbers. Are you able to find out?

Thanks.

It was replaced early Nov. of last year. Apparently there were two labels on the battery case.
Part no. 295B03NF9D, serial number 16A3000196.
Part no. 295B03NA1B, serial number 125N 001804

Not sure which one is the HV battery as the pics were taken by the dealer when it was replaced.

I know LeafSpy extracts the VIN - have not seen any numbers that are similar to the ones above.

Let me know if you have more information.

Interesting. I googled and saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_nOtsOYdwA

If I took a stab at the info, I would be guessing you have a "Lizard" pack (due to ... 3NF9D) and yours additionally being a CWP due to .... 3NA1B.

Note: If you look here: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20924&start=260#p479424
The screen shot from someone else shows a line "HV Battery" where a serial number is displayed. The 1st 3 digits could mean a battery build date, and in the example, I am simply guessing perhaps 1/16 is the battery build date.

(From my own tags/crate stickers, see thread: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23531)

Marktm said:
mxp said:
Marktm,

Thanks.

It was replaced early Nov. of last year. Apparently there were two labels on the battery case.
Part no. 295B03NF9D, serial number 16A3000196.
Part no. 295B03NA1B, serial number 125N 001804

Not sure which one is the HV battery as the pics were taken by the dealer when it was replaced.

I know LeafSpy extracts the VIN - have not seen any numbers that are similar to the ones above.

Let me know if you have more information.

Hi, just bought a 2013 SV here with 51299 miles for $8800 with the spy readings below. Have to call Nissan to check on warranty timeframe still. Do you guys think battery will degrade to 8 bars before 60k? Currently at 10 bars. Other than this one, the closest leaf I found with QC in my price range was $11000 for a 13 SL with 32k. Commute is 30 miles roundtrip in Colorado springs, CO. Worried I could have gotten a better leaf for a bit more...

AHr 48.72 soh 74% 371.0v hx 68.15%

Thanks for the reply. I think after driving the car for a few days now, I'm less concerned about the range. I'll just drive it and not worry about it. On days were longer trips are required, I'll just plan on spending a few more minutes at the charging station, or I'll drive the other car instead. 2 years from now, we'll see where we're at. Maybe pick up another used leaf... :D

Mine just dropped today.. 2012/ no CHAdeMO/36,300 miles on the dot.. LeafSpy Pro tells you all the goods..

I'll called Nissan today and they said I have until Sept 14th! So just made it! :shock:

once it hit below 42ah... it dropped pretty damn fast!

1160e639a6fb016766ea7e93572ce317.png

9d2ee045dcba21a1ca5d946a0cc38977.jpg

Hoping to make it. Have plenty of time left. 6 months. But have only 1511 miles left to 60,000

Took a reading on 10/11/17 and now on 10/22/17 and I dropped 0.74 AH in only 380 miles.

I think I’m 0.5 to 2.00 AHr left to drop. Should be able to do 2.9 AH drop in 1511 miles.

What you guys think?

86D68B4E-3D5A-4350-8008-29A242E57647.jpeg

Anyone have any good suggestions? My 2013 Leaf SL is at 58,031 miles. I lost my 3rd bar about 6 months ago (not sure the mileage). I just got Leaf Spy and my first reading shows AHr 45.73, SOH 69%, Hx 54.67%.

With less than 2,000 miles left in warranty, I need to seriously degrade this battery if I'm going to get a warranty replacement. I doubt it'll happen unless I'm proactive. Unfortunately, it's the slightly cooler season in Hawaii now, so it's hard for me to keep it hot. Does anyone know of any good way to degrade the battery without putting too many miles on it? I keep it charged to 100% on the trickle charger at home, and occasionally hit the QC when I can. BTW, the manufacture date on my Leaf is 04/2013, so I'm not sure if I have the older battery or the slightly improved one.

hawaiileaf said:
Anyone have any good suggestions? My 2013 Leaf SL is at 58,031 miles.
BTW, the manufacture date on my Leaf is 04/2013, so I'm not sure if I have the older battery or the slightly improved one.
As far we know, it seems Leafs built 4/2013 thru model year 2014 have better batteries. AFAIK, we don't know when the switch happened (i.e. when in 4/2013 or if it actually happened some time in late 3/2013).

When is your original in-service date? For now, you REALLY want to keep the # of miles down to avoid running out the mileage clock. Can you drive something else or rent something?

There was another MNLer who ran up too close against mileage limit. He got more desperate as he had fewer and fewer miles left. He wasn't able to hit 8 bars by the time he passed 60K miles.

You have at least several months, but yeah, heading into winter doesn't help. If you DO hit it before 60K miles and you have very little mileage remaining, get the car TOWED to the dealer service dept (ala TomT: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=440141#p440141 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=424426#p424426). Do NOT drive it and pass 60K BEFORE the dealer verifies the condition and orders the battery w/work order in hand. The guy at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20725 had a fight on his hands and luckily he won it. Don't count yourself as being lucky as Nissan (oddly) seems to have stopped w/goodwill (helping w/cost of replacement battery) once you're past capacity warranty expiration.

Definitely keep baking in the sun. If at night it gets cooler outside than in your garage, then keep it in a warmer garage.

Good luck!

cwerdna gives great advice. One way to really stress the battery is to drive up steep hills at max speed, then back down at max regen. Quick charging only is about 40-50 KW, but the max acceleration is 80 KW. Max regen is only 30 KW (and you probably can't get that with your degraded battery even at your temps).

Back