Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a KW902 from amazon. I tested the resistance and it was 20 ohms. I'm glad I found this thread before plugging it in! Is it worth removing the resistor or should i return it to amazon in hopes of getting a good one next?

Turbo3 posted to Amazon, as did I, warning people about the resistor issue. You would think the seller or Konwei might followup on that and fix the issue. Pretty disappointing that you just bought one that's still defective...

Think Turbo3 will have to removed them from his approved list for Leaf Spy.

jtpechacek said:
I just got one too. Measures 20 ohms. What to do?

Just flick the resistor off with your finger nail. There's some pics early on in this thread. I ended up contacting amazon about the bad unit before I removed the resistor and they refunded my money and let me keep the unit. Now i have a working KW-902 that cost me nothing but my time.

I recently bought a Konnwei based on the recommendation of the LeafSpy app, and I'm trying to determine if it is defective. I don't see a resistor as indicated in the original image. Here is a picture of my adapter.
BS0UvMI.jpg

When I measure the resistance it appears to be 27kohm which seems like it would be more than 120ohm, but I'm not confident enough in my EE skills to be sure.

ooaXIgx.jpg

I'm I correct in thinking it is safe to use?

Sorry, I just saw that someone up thread had mentioned that without the resistor he was getting a read of 27kohm. I plugged it into my Leaf and it seemed to work. I was getting data, and the car didn't malfunction. :D

It seems the problem still exists , just received a Konnwei from Amazon based on all the reco and review ( new LEAF owner didn't know of this forum) .
Put in the car it gave those T.M error and I-Key error .
Stumbled on this forum while searching the net . Same issue , measure the resistance on pin 6 - 14 , it's 20 ohm .
So it seems they have not corrected the issue and still shipping defective KW-902.

I ordered KW-902 from Ebay 7. july and received it a while ago. It's the new type. The resistor has clearly been reworked as there is a lot of flux around it. My measurement of it's value is 118 ohm. The device works very well with Leaf Spy. Happy Leaf is rather slow, sometimes works and sometimes not. I think it's just that Happy Leaf is not as well programmed as Leaf Spy.

I bought the konwei adapter several months ago. I noticed it freaked out my Odyssey when I connected it (tpms/low tire pressure/airbag/CEL all illuminated) I didn't think anything of it at the time other than the Honda must not like aftermarket obd II Bluetooth adapters for some reason.
I connected it to my Leaf and had similar problems, weird lights on the dash, junk data/no data coming back. I went to the play store to read the list of approved adapters and saw the warning to not use the konwei adapter. It didn't do anything to my car, but it pisses me off that I spent money on the adapter and it's basically junk for anything with a CAN bus (I guess I can open it and remove the resistor) but I've already purchased the LELink and it's been working just fine for me.

I received a KW902 in the mail today (took about a month to arrive), got super excited, plugged it in, turned the car on, and got the scary looking T/M Error. Panicked, shut the car down, pulled the reader and turned the car back on and everything is A-OK. Took the reader to my 2001 Explorer and plugged it in and it connected fine, reported back protocols ok, etc. Didn't try actually USING it, but came looking on the Leaf forum and found this thread.

I've metered it out and can report that as of Oct/Nov 2017, Amazon STILL has the 20ohm units for sale (here: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WPBGKT9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I have a message in to the seller indicating that I'll keep the unit but I want a partial refund. I've been burned by two other readers (one wasn't even soldered to the connector), and I was hoping that I had FINALLY found one that actually worked (there was a recommendation on here somewhere for this particular unit). ALL I have to do is remove that one SMD resistor and it will work fine? Should I replace it with the recommended 120ohm (I have a decent electronics stash)? I see now in the reviews that someone has posted about this error. I have NO idea how I managed to miss it. Oi.... I'm glad I didn't fry the car. It's so frustrating that you can't just buy a basic reader online....I mean, I could buy a pre-programmed ELM327 chip legitimately for $8.50 and build my own dongle, but to buy one is ridiculous money.

Edit: Seller basically told me to pound sand, that there was nothing wrong with it. I gave the product a bad review, and modified it. Runs great in my Explorer. Looking forward to using it in the Leaf.

Turbo3 said:
AdamFist said:
This thread was helpful and timely since I received my Konnwei KW902 yesterday. I'm returning it to Amazon. In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative ODB2 scanner that works?

Thanks,
Adam
The currently available test version of LeafSpy Pro supports the newer Bluetooth 4.x LE as will the next official releases of all versions of LeafSpy which I hope to start rolling out within the week.

There are two supported Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 with the LELink from Amazon being the cheaper of the two. The LELink is what I use and works with the iOS version of LeafSpy and will work with the next release of the Android versions of LeafSpy.

Bluetooth 4.x LE being a low power adapter will result in less drain from your 12v battery when the Leaf is off. There is also no pairing required.

Anyone with the Android version of LeafSpy Pro can try the latest test version using this link.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Does LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 works on IOS and Android? Does ScanTool OBDLink MX work with Leafspy? as their site says it might not work with Hybrid and EV.

dibun said:
Turbo3 said:
AdamFist said:
This thread was helpful and timely since I received my Konnwei KW902 yesterday. I'm returning it to Amazon. In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative ODB2 scanner that works?

Thanks,
Adam
The currently available test version of LeafSpy Pro supports the newer Bluetooth 4.x LE as will the next official releases of all versions of LeafSpy which I hope to start rolling out within the week.

There are two supported Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 with the LELink from Amazon being the cheaper of the two. The LELink is what I use and works with the iOS version of LeafSpy and will work with the next release of the Android versions of LeafSpy.

Bluetooth 4.x LE being a low power adapter will result in less drain from your 12v battery when the Leaf is off. There is also no pairing required.

Anyone with the Android version of LeafSpy Pro can try the latest test version using this link.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Does LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 works on IOS and Android? Does ScanTool OBDLink MX work with Leafspy? as their site says it might not work with Hybrid and EV.
Yes to all.

Here's the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WPBGKT9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works GREAT, but ONLY after I removed that one resistor as was suggested by folks.

Hello,
I'm in the process of finding a used Nissan Leaf for my daughter. I trust car salesperson about as much as a pit full of snakes. I see that some Kw-902 can cause problems with the Leaf. I was wondering how you can tell if a Leaf has been damaged by being scanned by the bad OBD2 scanner? I also ordered 2 (2 min order) ELM 327 KW902 wifi directly through Albaba which was recommended by Konnwie through there website messaging. However as you see I made the mistake of ordering the wifi version and had a few questions regarding the Leaf Pro and which would be the one that it would work best with being it's the wife model. I will be receiving the ELM327 any day and will still check to see if it reads 120ohm.

When I tried to use it on my car it gave me a 'CanBus' error, right on the dash display. I shut the car off, unplugged the scanner, and it booted right back up again normally. I'm not sure if you can actually damage a vehicle using these. The OBD port is actually fused on most vehicles, and I have blown a fuse on the port before which made readers non-functional on it until I changed the fuse.

Back