2014 Leaf, lost battery bar #12, is this about right? Future battery health

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Five temp bars shouldn't concern you. Think of six bars as the place where you might want to postpone charging if possible. Keep it between 20% and 80% most of the time, and occasionally charge to 100% right before driving it, and you're doing all you can do. Oh, and when the night will be cool, park it outside.

5 6 7 bars not too much to worry about. Again, you need to balance pack temps with ambient temps. Heating it up to 7 or 8 TBs and having it stay there for 2-3 days due to high ambient temps is what you need to be watching for. I check the weather for overnight lows since we frequently have very cold nights but every once in a while the low will be like 65 which means the garage in most cases will be heating up well into the mid 80's and beyond early the next day.

Granted you are in a little Sunbelt protected from the elements by the Olympics so a bit of a unique situation but it still gets relatively chilly at night even in Summer, right? You really don't have a lot to be concerned with.

As someone who doesn't live in a cool climate (or a really hot one), I do consider 7 bars to be the "don't charge unless absolutely necessary" threshold. Your reality may vary.

We have the timer set for 5am charging when the ambient is around 50F. If at all possible, I really think the LEAF should be outside at night in the summer to cool the battery. Our LEAF battery has now climbed to 6 bars when I check it during the day although peak daytime temps are about 100F and the average daily temperature ~ 75F

Well that is all very interesting. We finally saw six bars yesterday after charging for 3 hours just after returning from a long drive testing out how the Leaf climbs mountains.

Here is my other post regarding climbing mountains in the Leaf.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24136

Back