Update on NY Thruway L3's ??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, supposed to be dual plug units:

There are four travel plazas in the Hudson Valley now offer high-speed electric vehicle (EV) charging stations enabling fast-charge-capable EVs to be powered in approximately 30 minutes.
These stations are located:
I-87 northbound at the Plattekill and Malden Service Areas, between exits 17 (Newburgh) and 21 (Catskill)
I-87 southbound at the Ulster and Modena Service Areas between exits 20 (Saugerties) and 17 (Newburgh)
I-90 westbound at the Mohawk Valley Welcome Center between exits 28 (Fultonville) and 29 (Canajoharie)
The charging stations are each capable of supplying up to 50 kilowatts of power to an electric vehicle and support both of the standard connectors – Chademo and SAE Combo. Thruway motorists will be charged $8 per charge. Motorists will need a Greenlots account or use the Greenlots app via a smart phone to charge at these stations. For more information, please visit www.greenlots.com Leaving NYS Thruway Authority's Website .

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Apparently, supposed to be dual plug units:

There are four travel plazas in the Hudson Valley now offer high-speed electric vehicle (EV) charging stations enabling fast-charge-capable EVs to be powered in approximately 30 minutes.
These stations are located:
I-87 northbound at the Plattekill and Malden Service Areas, between exits 17 (Newburgh) and 21 (Catskill)
I-87 southbound at the Ulster and Modena Service Areas between exits 20 (Saugerties) and 17 (Newburgh)
I-90 westbound at the Mohawk Valley Welcome Center between exits 28 (Fultonville) and 29 (Canajoharie)
The charging stations are each capable of supplying up to 50 kilowatts of power to an electric vehicle and support both of the standard connectors – Chademo and SAE Combo. Thruway motorists will be charged $8 per charge. Motorists will need a Greenlots account or use the Greenlots app via a smart phone to charge at these stations. For more information, please visit http://www.greenlots.com Leaving NYS Thruway Authority's Website .

The four travel plazas in the Hudson Valley are different. All of them are on I-87, two northbound and two southbound, and they are single-unit / dual-plug. I've confirmed that myself.

The new one is on I-90 westbound. It has three single-plug units according to the pictures (I have not seen it in person yet).

The wording on this is confusing, but you're right; it does seem to imply that the Mohawk Valley Welcome Center should be dual plug units.

There is still nothing to facilitate driving to Canada or the Adirondacks on I-87. The DOT seems to assume that anyone driving North from NYC is just headed for Albany. There needs to be a QC/L-2 station somewhere around exit 17 in the Glens Falls area, or the Lake George exits.

Yeah, who drives from NYC to Albany? Not a lot of non-politicians. Most people pass through the Lake George or farther into the Adirondacks. I agree, they should have chargers in Lake George, maybe also Lake Placid. But what do I know.

That said, I'm thrilled we have something. The existing chargers allow me to easily get to family in the Hudson Valley with something like a Bolt. It's a little trickier getting home, though, since those chargers on I-90 are CHAdeMO only. That is, unless I buy a 2018 Leaf, which I haven't ruled out. Or I could just get a Tesla and not worry about the infrastructure.

GetOffYourGas said:
Someone has added the location to PlugShare, complete with pictures. There are 3 chargers, all of which are CHAdeMO. I think that's ridiculous, and all should be double-headed CHAdeMO + CCS.

https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/120491
Ok, now I'm pissed. I JUST now noticed that these are AV units, just like the 1st installations in OR/WA. I was told that AV won't be producing or installing any more of those units. Specifically, I was working to have one installed somewhere between Kennewick/Pasco/Richland and Cle Elum or Wenatchee (the closest DCQCs at about 120 mi).

GetOffYourGas said:
Yeah, who drives from NYC to Albany? Not a lot of non-politicians. Most people pass through the Lake George or farther into the Adirondacks. I agree, they should have chargers in Lake George, maybe also Lake Placid. But what do I know.

That said, I'm thrilled we have something. The existing chargers allow me to easily get to family in the Hudson Valley with something like a Bolt. It's a little trickier getting home, though, since those chargers on I-90 are CHAdeMO only. That is, unless I buy a 2018 Leaf, which I haven't ruled out. Or I could just get a Tesla and not worry about the infrastructure.
Last week I drove up to the Thousand Islands area, stopping at the Superchargers in Albany, Utica (just west of these 3 new CHAdeMOs), and Watertown. The key factor is that we just didn't need to worry about anything. "We" implies the all important WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) - she had not a concern about the whole trip. This is in contrast to when we just had the LEAF; she would balk taking it on a a trip more than 25 miles away.

Back