Chargepoint L2 won't plug in -SOLVED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kikbuti

I searched several pages of posts and couldn't find this problem. Monday, I parked in a lot that had Chargepoint L2 charging stations. I downloaded the app, signed up and tried to plug it in to my 2016 Leaf SL, but it wouldn't fit. Under closer inspection, it looked like it should fit. I couldn't figure it out. I couldn't find anything on the Chargepoint site. Has any of you encountered this?

Update.. I tried to plug in at a Blink Level 2 station that I had previously used with my original 2013 Leaf. It wouldn't fit. Upon closer inspection, I found that a piece of my J1772 plug at home had broken off. I will investigate replacing the J1772 plug on my EVSE. It still works, but the insulator on one of the contacts is now missing.

I removed the broken off insulator and now all is working fine. Thanks everyone for your responses.

kikbuti said:
I searched several pages of posts and couldn't find this problem. Monday, I parked in a lot that had Chargepoint L2 charging stations. I downloaded the app, signed up and tried to plug it in to my 2016 Leaf SL, but it wouldn't fit. Under closer inspection, it looked like it should fit. I couldn't figure it out. I couldn't find anything on the Chargepoint site. Has any of you encountered this?

I've encountered this problem before. The rubber seal inside the J1772 connector (through long periods of use) slips out of its guide and prevents the plug from inserting all the way. If you've taken apart a J1772 connector apart before, then you can slide out the inner sleeve and re-insert the seal. OR take the seal out completely (not advised due to potential vandalism charges). If you're not in a rush, then reporting the issue to chargepoint would be the best solution.

If you stop by the station again later today, you should be able to look inside the plug to verify this since it takes a few days for anyone to bother to report it to chargepoint (I've always just fixed it myself).

I also have seen this a number of times in different locations and primarily on charpoint J1772.

It is like you can't plug the J1772 in all the way and it is as others have said that the seal slides in the way of fully plugging in. I called one place about it and they said they checked with their volt and was fine but the Leaf jack must have tighter tolerances. The next time I was there I used a small screwdriver to push the seal out of the way and it worked fine.

estomax said:
i had the same issue at a chargepoint charger, i just ripped the seal out, works fine without it.

The seal is needed to prevent moisture intrusion while charging in a monsoon. Although unlikely to be an issue, you still want that fixed by Chargepoint instead of being left out.

BrockWI said:
The next time I was there I used a small screwdriver to push the seal out of the way and it worked fine.

Why does this sound like we are talking about sticking screwdrivers into electrical connections? Please tell me this is something that is completely on the outside casing. I assume it is, but since I'm not near one right now, I can't go look to see what it is we are talking about using a screwdriver to adjust.

DarthPuppy said:
BrockWI said:
The next time I was there I used a small screwdriver to push the seal out of the way and it worked fine.

Why does this sound like we are talking about sticking screwdrivers into electrical connections? Please tell me this is something that is completely on the outside casing. I assume it is, but since I'm not near one right now, I can't go look to see what it is we are talking about using a screwdriver to adjust.

It's just outside of the electrical connectors. And unless you're providing the hand-shake signal on the comm pin, the relays inside the EVSE prevents any electricity from being present on the main power pins. The whole evse charging protocol makes the j1772 plug more safe than your household GFCI outlets.

Back