Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With version v0.39.97 I see the new
Motor Temp
Inverter 2 Temp
Inverter 4 Temp

Motor Temp seems to vary during a drive from 71 to 78, with a rise after stopping to 82,
The two inverter temperatures stay at 40, always.

2013 Leaf S, Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy S7, LeafSpy Pro v0.39.97, Konnwei KW903 from Amazon "Best Compu".

ClarD said:
With version v0.39.97 I see the new
Motor Temp
Inverter 2 Temp
Inverter 4 Temp

Motor Temp seems to vary during a drive from 71 to 78, with a rise after stopping to 82,
The two inverter temperatures stay at 40, always.

2013 Leaf S, Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy S7, LeafSpy Pro v0.39.97, Konnwei KW903 from Amazon "Best Compu".
Starting with the 2013 model year Nissan changed some of the response formats. I will need to check if the Inverter temps were changed as 40 with a motor temp in the 71 to 82 sounds wrong.

Hi Turbo3,

I've emailed you this post as well - apologies for the duplication - I'm not sure what's best.

First of all - thank you for the new version 0.39.97. It installed cleanly over the previous and seems to work fine.

I use the CSV format logs and written scripts to parse these and produce graphs and reports. It could be helpful to mention in the changelogs when the CSV format changes.

It looks like the first (comment) line in each log file with the field labels in might still be the same as in the previous version - although possibly this is because I already had a logfile for today generated by the previous version of the app?

It also looks like log lines generated after the upgrade have 3 extra fields at the end - are these new fields for the new motor (x1) and inverter (x2) temperature fields, in that order?

I have a UK-built (so "gen 1.5/2") 2013 Leaf.

In the Leafspy UI I'm seeing a motor temperature number which seems sane (14C when outdoor temp 11C after the car has sat for a few hours), and 0C for both motor temperatures.

In the logs, assuming I've understood the fields correctly as above, I'm seeing 40 recorded for the motor temperatures (which I assume is F, although it is not the same as the 0 which the UI is showing), and 54 (F?) for the inverter temp, which corresponds to 12.2C when the UI is showing 14.

I noticed that elsewhere in Leafspy, for instance where the pack temperatures are logged separately in both F and C, the conversion appears accurate, and the logged values match the UI.

If I floor the accelerator with the parking brake hard on, the car "sits down" showing that considerable torque is being generated, the inverter temperature rises rapidly, but the motor temperatures do not move. The degrees F value in the logs continues to not-quite-match the degrees C value displayed in the UI.

Cheers

strowger said:
Hi Turbo3,

I've emailed you this post as well - apologies for the duplication - I'm not sure what's best.

First of all - thank you for the new version 0.39.97. It installed cleanly over the previous and seems to work fine.

I use the CSV format logs and written scripts to parse these and produce graphs and reports. It could be helpful to mention in the changelogs when the CSV format changes.

It looks like the first (comment) line in each log file with the field labels in might still be the same as in the previous version - although possibly this is because I already had a logfile for today generated by the previous version of the app?

It also looks like log lines generated after the upgrade have 3 extra fields at the end - are these new fields for the new motor (x1) and inverter (x2) temperature fields, in that order?

I have a UK-built (so "gen 1.5/2") 2013 Leaf.

In the Leafspy UI I'm seeing a motor temperature number which seems sane (14C when outdoor temp 11C after the car has sat for a few hours), and 0C for both motor temperatures.

In the logs, assuming I've understood the fields correctly as above, I'm seeing 40 recorded for the motor temperatures (which I assume is F, although it is not the same as the 0 which the UI is showing), and 54 (F?) for the inverter temp, which corresponds to 12.2C when the UI is showing 14.

I noticed that elsewhere in Leafspy, for instance where the pack temperatures are logged separately in both F and C, the conversion appears accurate, and the logged values match the UI.

If I floor the accelerator with the parking brake hard on, the car "sits down" showing that considerable torque is being generated, the inverter temperature rises rapidly, but the motor temperatures do not move. The degrees F value in the logs continues to not-quite-match the degrees C value displayed in the UI.

Cheers
As described in the built in help the three new fields are in C offset by 40 so you need to subtract 40 to get the real C value. A value of 0 would be -40 C but would also be the value if the app has not read the sensor yet or the format is not as expected. Above someone was getting 0 for both inverter readings with a 2013 Leaf so it is more likely the format was changed starting in that year.

I am returning today from vacation so will try to look at this tomorrow and see if I need to adjust how I read 2013 and newer model year inverter temperatures.

Turbo3 said:
As described in the built in help

I don't see a search option in the built-in help. Can I save that, or is it viewable some other way?
I sent an email request for a current pdf, just in the past day or two, while you were out.

ClarD said:
Turbo3 said:
As described in the built in help

I don't see a search option in the built-in help. Can I save that, or is it viewable some other way?
I sent an email request for a current pdf, just in the past day or two, while you were out.
I have responded to all requests for the PDF help file but I don't see a request from "ClarD".

I just went through my Junk mail folder and found a few requests for the PDF help there and sent them out.

Ever since I (got auto) upgraded to 0.39.97, in the screen w/all the cell voltages, VIN, SOH, etc. the VIN alternates between my VIN (which is correct) and one that's totally wrong. Mine begins with 1N4AZ and the wrong one starts with 230SM and is way off.

I've never seen this behavior with previous versions of Leaf Spy Pro. I've been using this on my non-rooted Nexus 5X for quite some time. I used to always use the 1st dongle at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=490442#p490442 but switched over to the Panlong one a few weeks ago. The Panlong never had this VIN goofiness until what seems like this recent update.

cwerdna said:
Ever since I (got auto) upgraded to 0.39.97, in the screen w/all the cell voltages, VIN, SOH, etc. the VIN alternates between my VIN (which is correct) and one that's totally wrong. Mine begins with 1N4AZ and the wrong one starts with 230SM and is way off.

I've never seen this behavior with previous versions of Leaf Spy Pro. I've been using this on my non-rooted Nexus 5X for quite some time. I used to always use the 1st dongle at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=490442#p490442 but switched over to the Panlong one a few weeks ago. The Panlong never had this VIN goofiness until what seems like this recent update.
Have a look at the help for that field. If you have read the ECU versions information which will also include the battery serial number then the battery serial number will alternate with the VIN.

If you wish to examine either number in more detail just tap the lower right status area to enter "Screen Frozen" mode.

Just got 39.98. Nice update.

Headlight settings: Don't appear to do anything on my UK 30kw.. I have auto on set to 'wiper' and nothing happens when I turn the wipers on, and the auto off delay doesn't appear to do anything. Possibly not implemented on my model - is there a way to detect that?

VSP settings - only 'Drive Sound' appears to do anything (mentioned this in the other thread). Was unable to switch the reversing beeps on. OTOH having the car not making headache inducing screeches when you start it is a big win, thanks :p

Can Leaf Spy read the input voltage the charger is getting from the EVSE and the pilot signal max amps setting that the EVSE has reported to the charger? I have not seen any easy way to get the actual input voltage other than guessing based on 208V charges significantly slower than 240V. I like the read out that Tesla shows drivers while charging.

BillHolz said:
Can Leaf Spy read the input voltage the charger is getting from the EVSE and the pilot signal max amps setting that the EVSE has reported to the charger? I have not seen any easy way to get the actual input voltage other than guessing based on 208V charges significantly slower than 240V. I like the read out that Tesla shows drivers while charging.
Nissan only allows this to be read on 2011 and 2012 Leafs. In 2013 they switched to the 6 KW charger and drop the codes that allowed it to be read from the CAN bus.

On this discussion on the Tesla TMC forum, someone posted a photo that compares the SOC between the Tesla main screen and LeafSpy...I wasn't aware that the LeafSpy software worked on a Tesla. Do I have to buy a new version or will my existing version work right out of the box?

Thanks....

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/low-soc-terrible-supercharging.90581/page-3

So recently I noticed a warning from Dropbox that the old API was going away on June 28th.
Today, LeafSpy was crashing immediately after I opened it until I disabled Dropbox.
Coincidence? Unhandled Dropbox API errors? I saw this on 2 different devices...

From 2014 model year, there were 2 new functions in the Nissan Leaf.
1. After releasing the windshield washer after 10-20 seconds, the wipers are activated once more.
2. When turning the turn signal (not full turn ON) - the indicator flashes 3 times, in the old version - flashes 1 times.
Turbo, try please do it in your new version of the program.
TNX

Randy said:
I wasn't aware that the LeafSpy software worked on a Tesla. Do I have to buy a new version or will my existing version work right out of the box?
LeafSpy doesn't work on a Tesla. He's got a separate app called TMSpy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.TMSpy

I have a strange issue with Leaf Spy Pro. The battery meter is way to large. I see 4 lines Batt, Aux, Hetr and A/C. And batt is always a tiny line. It used to be a lot bigger. Does anybody know which setting I changed wrongly?

This is what I used to see:
leafspy-pro-app-showing-real-time-nissan-leaf-electric-car-operating-data-image-rick-santangelo_100611772_m.jpg

How do I return it to the image above?

Many of the various displays will change their appearance if you tap them. Press and hold the "menu" button (three bars) in the upper right corner to bring up an overlay that shows all the different places you can tap to change the current display between various modes.

Back