Fob Programming

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ed5000 said:
Reed Brothers Security
4432 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA

They quoted me $176 to buy a fob plus $80 to program it. I'll post the final total when I buy mine (Dublin Toyota only gave me one). I asked him (at Reed Bros.) if these dealers are selling the extra fobs and he said "No, they always keep one in case they have to reposses the car. Grrrr. :evil:

So, a tip for cash buyers, ask for the extra fob because they don't need it to re-posses the car!

I found a new 4 button FOB for 80 bucks, cut the key myself, I have access to a key cutter, by the time I took it to Nissan, there was so little left to do, they programmed it for free!
NICE!!!

KK6PD said:
I found a new 4 button FOB for 80 bucks, cut the key myself, I have access to a key cutter, by the time I took it to Nissan, there was so little left to do, they programmed it for free!
NICE!!!
Which dealer did the programming for you for free? Thanks.
One of the FOBs for my 2012 LEAF stopped working a few years ago. When I replaced the LEAF battery about 3 weeks ago I asked them to reprogram it. After the battery work is done he told me the FOB is bad because it doesn't emit any signal. He would have probably done it for free if the FOB is still good. Now we ask him for a quote to program if we buy a FOB elsewhere. He said the programming fee is $85. This is from Premier Nissan in Fremont.

anjieli said:
Which dealer did the programming for you for free? Thanks.
One of the FOBs for my 2012 LEAF stopped working a few years ago. When I replaced the LEAF battery about 3 weeks ago I asked them to reprogram it. After the battery work is done he told me the FOB is bad because it doesn't emit any signal. He would have probably done it for free if the FOB is still good. Now we ask him for a quote to program if we buy a FOB elsewhere. He said the programming fee is $85. This is from Premier Nissan in Fremont.

Glendale Nissan, but teeth had to be pulled to get it to happen.

I bought the FOB here ...
http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2012-nissan-leaf-remote-smart-remote.html

this URL is for a 2012.... your year.
You will also need to get the key cut, I had access to a key machine where I work..

Levenkay said:
LeftieBiker said:
Here is what you can do (and I have done) to go swimming or whatever activity is awkward with the whole fob: remove the steel key from the fob, and put that securely on your person (a zippered key pocket is best), then wrap the fob inside a 4" or so ball of aluminum foil, and place that out of sight inside the car. The foil will block the fob's signal and stop the car from throwing a fit because of a fob inside, the steel key gets you back inside, and once you unwrap the fob, it works once again to start the car.
That sounds as if the "ball of aluminum foil" gets worn out & replaced often. Would an Altoids tin work as well? The lid may not seal electrically, I guess.. will try it this evening.

Here is a thought. What about one of those RFID envelopes that they use to block chip signals on things like Credit Cards or Passports. Seems like it might be a lot more practical than a ball of foil if it works.

Does Leaf model year matter for the remote key fobs? Is the correct part number Nissan 285E3-1KM0D ?

I see two packs of 2012 or 2013 fobs for about $70/pair online, but much higher price for those specifically labeled as 2011.

A local locksmith quoted $600 for a pair of fobs programmed as a remote service call.

brycenesbitt said:
Does Leaf model year matter for the remote key fobs? Is the correct part number Nissan 285E3-1KM0D ?

I see two packs of 2012 or 2013 fobs for about $70/pair online, but much higher price for those specifically labeled as 2011.

A local locksmith quoted $600 for a pair of fobs programmed as a remote service call.

Call your Nissan dealer and see what they will do on price for two of them. When I had mine done, the dealer charged $80 for labor and programming, and I supplied a new fob and key that I paid $105 for from another dealer. The local dealer quoted $300 to supply one fob and key, and do the programming.

I would order the fob that is specifically listed for your car. For my 2013, it was part number 285E3-3NF4A, listed for use on cars produced from 12/1/12 to 4/1/14. The blank key was part number H0564-ZN50A. You should be able to find the correct part number on the Nissan Parts site using your VIN number, or call the local dealer parts department and have them confirm the part number and price for your VIN.

Hey Gang, I found a friendly locksmith in Mountain View California and he worked with me to program fobs for 2 salvaged leafs I fixed up recently.

At first, I cheaped out and bought the lowest priced knock-offs I could find for fobs on Ebay. They looked right but the logo on the 3rd button was the trunk instead of the charge port. Also they did NOT have the Nissan badge. My guy worked on them for 2 days but could get them to work. I still had to pay him $40 in labor for trying. Lesson learned.

Eventually I bought these fobs for $39.99 each: "OEM NISSAN LEAF smart keyless entry remote fob transmitter CWTWB1U840 +UNCUT KEY" on Ebay.

They worked on my 2014 and 2016 Leafs.

Alan, the owner of Kwik Key Lock and Safe Co, 1949 El Camino Real, Mountain View California, programmed them for me for $49 in labor, plus $2.50 to cut the mechanical key. I also got 2 spare mechanical keys, for an out the door price of only $58.59.

The catch is that he does a largely walk in business, and it's a bit time consuming, so he'd prefer that we can leave the car with him for a day or so. Then he can work on it when the store is quiet. If that's a problem, call ahead and make an appointment for a Tuesday or Thursday, when he has help in the store. I gather it takes some time, so you should still plan to go for a walk and find food near by while he does his thing.

Not counting the learning curve, it was $100 total for each car. That includes the Fob, programming and 2 spare mechanical keys.

Cheers.

Rwolf01 said:
Hey Gang, I found a friendly locksmith in Mountain View California and he worked with me to program fobs for 2 salvaged leafs I fixed up recently.

Eventually I bought these fobs for $39.99 each: "OEM NISSAN LEAF smart keyless entry remote fob transmitter CWTWB1U840 +UNCUT KEY" on Ebay.

They worked on my 2014 and 2016 Leafs.

Alan, the owner of Kwik Key Lock and Safe Co, 1949 El Camino Real, Mountain View California, programmed them for me for $49 in labor, plus $2.50 to cut the mechanical key. I also got 2 spare mechanical keys, for an out the door price of only $58.59.

Not counting the learning curve, it was $100 total for each car. That includes the Fob, programming and 2 spare mechanical keys.

Cheers.

The fobs on Ebay in that price range are pre-owned. Was yours 3 or 4 buttons
thanks

Sounds like programming a Nissan or Infinite key fob requires "consult 3" software + adapter to connect laptop with the car. This apparently costs $30 for a day of use or $1300 per year. See https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/dep...h a Nissan Vehicle Interface (J-47446-VI2-B).for more details. I guess better option is to let the dealer do it for $80 (1 hour) . One tip that may be useful is that dealer charge does not change based on number of keys to be programmed. For example, I purchased two keys online (for $40*2 + tax) and programmed them at dealer for a single charge of $80 + tax.

mwalsh said:
Found an interesting .pdf while looking for battery controller information. Looks like it's a third-party way of programming 2011-12 fobs for the LEAF. Costs a fortune for the system, and I don't know how many independent shops would have it, or what they would charge for the service if they did, but at least you might be able to find an alternative to dealer programming.

LEAF is on pages 403-413 (pages 73-83 of the .pdf file):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mt19jsu8nd8cr4/9.14_Manual_Infiniti-Nissan-P.331-422_1.pdf?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the company:

http://www.adusa.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,

I was wondering if you still have this manual and if you could send it to me.

Regards
Tom

tommurphy73 said:
mwalsh said:
Found an interesting .pdf while looking for battery controller information. Looks like it's a third-party way of programming 2011-12 fobs for the LEAF. Costs a fortune for the system, and I don't know how many independent shops would have it, or what they would charge for the service if they did, but at least you might be able to find an alternative to dealer programming.

LEAF is on pages 403-413 (pages 73-83 of the .pdf file):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mt19jsu8nd8cr4/9.14_Manual_Infiniti-Nissan-P.331-422_1.pdf?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the company:

http://www.adusa.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,

I was wondering if you still have this manual and if you could send it to me.

Regards
Tom

Too bad the link isn't working.

Back