Anyone into regular cycling?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
As for bells and horns, I find my voice works fine, and shouts of "don't do it" or "watch it" have prevented many a case of dooring, right hooking etc. Overtaking other bikes, a quiet "passing on your left" still works, although less experienced riders can be startled by it and swerve, so I say it before getting next to them. A bell is probably less startling, and sounds less threatening to some; a loud horn may cause them to crash.
That's the difference between city/suburb riding and rural riding. No one hears you yell (or scream) in the country. I still have my voice to use when appropriate, but when entering a blind one lane underpass, for example, there is no substitute for loud noise. (Except when a train is going over, in which case it's down to the headlight strobe at night, or dumb luck in daylight.)
Okay, you've piqued my interest - why does "no one hears you yell (or scream) in the country", barring the specific extreme instance you describe? I need to do it far less often when riding in rural areas, but I've still been able to get people's attention.

Okay, you've piqued my interest - why does "no one hears you yell (or scream) in the country", barring the specific extreme instance you describe? I need to do it far less often when riding in rural areas, but I've still been able to get people's attention.

They are driving fast, usually with the radio on, and they close with you so fast that anything you say will either not be heard or won't matter. My horn can be heard from 50' away. Pedestrians and cyclists in the country can usually hear you, of course.

Back