Hi, everyone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My description was somewhat lacking. The EVSE signals the available current via the pilot. If the current is equal to or more than the car needs it charges at its full current and ignores any excess. If the current is less (like a EVSE connected to a 30A dryer outlet at 24A) then the car matches the available current. In the example my eGolf would charge at 24A even though it could charge at 30A.

Both the enhanced Leaf and my eGolf are current limited only. The supplied EVSE says 12A via the pilot so the car matches that. An enhanced Leaf can charge at 27.5 A @120V in violation of the J1772 spec. It only wants enough current at any voltage be it L1 or L2. One of our members does charge at high current at L1.

GlennD said:
Both the enhanced Leaf and my eGolf are current limited only. The supplied EVSE says 12A via the pilot so the car matches that. An enhanced Leaf can charge at 27.5 A @120V in violation of the J1772 spec. It only wants enough current at any voltage be it L1 or L2. One of our members does charge at high current at L1.
I regularly charge my '13S w/charge package at 20a @ 120v(actually a true 19a measured, short term use) and have charged up to 27.5a 120v for a short period of time, 24a long term when I have access to a TT-30a(120v 30a breaker) RV outlet, although this is rare. Most often I charge my '13S at 20a(19a measured) 208 or 240v and 30a(27.5a measured) 208 and 240v. Even charging at 15a @ 240v is faster than 27.5a@120v and probably more efficient.

Marktm said:
JGR said:
I only have about 3K miles on them, but they are wearing fine, and I drive pretty agressive.

Have you noticed any difference in your miles/kwh (or range) with similar driving conditions?

A rough estimate would be I lost about .3 miles/kwh over the Ecopia's and stock wheels on average. I was able to get 4.0 mi/kwh on a hiway trip of just over 100 mi. total. (had a two hour charge in there for the return trip) Speed was pretty steady in the 60-63 mph. range. It seems as though since it has warmed up and the tires a getting some miles on them I am getting slightly better range. I am currently running 40 lbs. cold, I am going to bump that to 45 and see if it helps.

JGR said:
A rough estimate would be I lost about .3 miles/kwh over the Ecopia's and stock wheels on average. I was able to get 4.0 mi/kwh on a hiway trip of just over 100 mi. total. (had a two hour charge in there for the return trip) Speed was pretty steady in the 60-63 mph. range. It seems as though since it has warmed up and the tires a getting some miles on them I am getting slightly better range. I am currently running 40 lbs. cold, I am going to bump that to 45 and see if it helps.

There is a noticeable loss in mileage on my ICE vehicle when I go from stock tires to Michelins - on all of my last 3 Suburbans (work vehicles). I accepted the trade-off of the much more reliable tires to lowered MPG as I go on gravel roads. Not sure I want to do that with the limited range of my Leaf. On the other hand, it may be that new tread is just less efficient than worn out tires. Please let me know about upping the tire pressure. What is the max recommended pressure on the Westlakes?

Marktm said:
JGR said:

There is a noticeable loss in mileage on my ICE vehicle when I go from stock tires to Michelins - on all of my last 3 Suburbans (work vehicles). I accepted the trade-off of the much more reliable tires to lowered MPG as I go on gravel roads. Not sure I want to do that with the limited range of my Leaf. On the other hand, it may be that new tread is just less efficient than worn out tires. Please let me know about upping the tire pressure. What is the max recommended pressure on the Westlakes?

Max tire pressure is listed at 51psi.

Back