The Best, Least-Known Tips & Tricks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the FAQ:

* Partial Recirculate Mode. The Leaf has a barely-documented feature that is actually very helpful in Winter, especially when combined with the next Trick after this. With the ventilation set to one of the modes that allows Recirculation (any of the non-defrost modes), and with Recirculate mode on, press and hold the Recirculate button until the light above it starts to flash, then quickly release it. The light will flash twice, then go out, making it look like the car is in Fresh Air mode. In fact, if done correctly (and it may take a little practice, to avoid re-engaging full Recirculate) the ventilation system is now taking in roughly 1/3 fresh air, and recirculating the other 2/3. This mode does two things: it reduces the amount of external smog getting sucked into the car, and it increases the efficiency of the heater in cold weather, because most of the air doesn't have to be heated from outside ambient. It is also called "Auto Recirculate" (not to be confused with Auto Climate Control).

If the valve does open and close automatically, what are the parameters that determine an open position? They are unlikely to be present only in Summer. Once I have more info I'll change it to reflect that.

On the Re circulation subject.
I noticed a marked improvement in the very cold. 0ºF. Below and a bit above. The Energy use meter would drop substantially when the "partial" was engaged. We have no way of knowing what parameters Nissan uses to operate this control in auto mode. May be there is a CAN buss output that LeafSpy could read. I know when I use Auto for heat or AC it starts in full recirculate mode then fades. I can tell this by the fan noise at the defrost outlets . I believe the car uses this vent as an intake during recirculation. That's why we cant have recirculation and defrost at the same time.
I will have to try it with AC in the summer to see if I get an energy reduction from using it. I tend to just use full auto in the summer anyway though if I am using AC. In Vermont AC days are not that often.

Recirculation happens if it's cold outside. Technical manual has logic drawing.
It is fixed at 30%. Partial recirculation is VERY good if it is cold outside and cabin is very warm.
With cold cabin it is absolutely useless. Still, if there are more than 2 people I switch to fresh
due to fogging on the rear windows.

This post is to "bump" the topic up, and explain how to use it. Those looking for Leaf driving Tips & Tricks just have to go to the first post in this topic and read that. The rest is discussion of that FAQ-type document.

This post is to "bump" the topic up, and explain how to use it. Those looking for Leaf driving Tips & Tricks just have to go to the first post in this topic and read that. The rest is discussion of that FAQ-type document.

After 6 "bumps," maybe this will be something worthwhile. I didn't think of it, although at some point hopefully the person can be recognized. It is definitely a "Least-Known" item.

But, under the hood, on each side, where the shock struts come through, on the 2011 - 2012 there is a small plastic cover. I believe it might have been changed for newer LEAFs. The way Nissan designed it though, it holds water and causes unacceptable rust to the threaded part of the strut and the nut attaching it. I clean it out on occasion and put grease on the parts, but the damage has already been done and I'm only slowing it down a bit.

The Australian LEAF group has run into the same issue on their forum, and there is a better part that people can get from Nissan, but I'll have to look up where I've got that data. I took it to Hill Nissan near where I'm at (a great dealership IMHO), and when the service manager looked at it he said it was possible to hurt the strut seal in removing the nut if it isn't done correctly, so they would have to do it and it would cost me a bit of money, and also said by now it really isn't worth it after almost five years.

But, if you have a relatively new LEAF, I would get some grease on the strut and nut assembly under the hood on each side. If you can prevent the rust from starting, you are so much better off. I'm a bit upset that $0.02 of grease could have been used, and would have greatly helped, but wasn't done at the factory, and is so obscure that people don't think to look at it.

There was a post about this: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=21723.

The plastic dust caps have a small hole in the top which allows water to drip into the strut housing - my 2013 did not come with the caps so I bought them. I think from 2013 forward there were no caps so water can collect. On mine the bolts were painted black but after three years it started to wear off. What I did was to plug the small hole in the cap with a small stainless steel screw; I greased the bolts and now no water collects with the caps in place. It's a cheap fix worth doing.

Maybe you might want to add this: Park in the sun when it's cold and in the shade when it's hot. If you can't park in the shade use a sun shade in the windshield. I recommend the Eclipse brand sun shade since it mounts directly to the windshield and automatically retracts making it easy to use.

have you thought about adding a section for tires to the original post? summarize opinions and feedback from other forum members, so other tire options as well as the stock OEM replacements?

Back