Disable VSP sound by software

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ElectricEddy said:
Have you tried to get the sounds back (enable) ?
If its as easy as pushing enable/disable I may consider this .

I played around quite a bit trying to make sure which sounds were affected by which checkboxes and can verify that enabling sounds is as easy as disabling them.

LeftieBiker said:
Anyone who disables the factory backup beeping is risking injuring someone, and also risking a lawsuit if it happens. Lowering the volume somewhat would seem to be a better idea.

There is no US regulation requiring the reverse beeper, and other domestic EVs like the Volt don't have it.

The relevant OSHA regulation is 29 CFR Part 1926.601(b)(4) which requires "a reverse signal alarm audible above surrounding noise level", but only when the motor vehicle has "an obstructed view to the rear". The determination of the noise level is left to the employer. However, because equipment is moved from place to place, the loudest alarms are often selected.

LeftieBiker said:
Anyone who disables the factory backup beeping is risking injuring someone, and also risking a lawsuit if it happens. Lowering the volume somewhat would seem to be a better idea.
Not sure that is true. 1- It is always the driver's responsibility to not hit anyone/anything. Doing so pretty much guarantees a lawsuit, beeper or not. 2- The factory backup beeping was optional for 2011, i.e., you could turn it off. Would those vehicles have some sort of beeper risk exemption? 3- Many cars, not just EVs, are very, very quiet, or not heard because ambient noise levels are high. Few other than the EV have backup warnings other than backup lights and, oh yeah, the sight of a large multi-thousand-pound object moving.

I agree certainly that in general more presumed safety factors are better than not, and the backup beeper is one of these. I also agree with some posters that an optional ability to turn the beeper off is actually the best approach, to accommodate those of us backing out of garages in the early morning, hospital area parking, and other designated or expected-to-be quiet areas.

Lastly, and I don't know the answer to this, do people really pay attention to backup beepers anymore? Even today in any busy area there are so many such beepers and other noise pollution, my skepticism leads me to believe most sounds are just automatically tuned out, or masked by ear pods tuned to some favorite news or music channel. This doesn't negate a beeper's potential safety aspects, but I think it would be very, very hard to prevail in a lawsuit about a non-operational beeper.

Success using Samsung Note 5 (Marshmallow) and LELink OBDII adapter I normally use with my iPhone. Sounds are disabled or re-enabled easily.

Drive Start Sound is the initial woosh
Drive Sound is the continuous whine up to 18 MPH
Vehicle Start sound is the hello/goodbye song
Sound A ?
Sound B ?
Sound C are the external beeps related to charging

As far as I can surmise, VSP has no part in the turn signal clicker sound, seatbelt warning, door open chimes, or the LBW / VLBW voice warnings. I had previously completely unplugged the VSP synth box and still had all those.

The Elf with a LEAF Blower is annoying at times, but helpful to get the attention of pedestrians and cyclists in many situations. I'd not recommend anyone permanently disable it. It's the pedestrian you don't see that you want to alert.

Of course, even our 2016 LEAFs are not in compliance with the new regulations that require an idle sound as well.

As Elon Musk said, there are two sides to this issue.

ElectricEddy said:
eyedrop said:
Got it working perfectly on my MY2015 Leaf S. Here is exactly what I did:

1. Bought Leafspy Pro from Play store. Scrolled to bottom, signed up for beta testing. Waited 10 minutes. Refreshed the LeafSpy Pro listing in google play store. An update appeared, which I installed .

2. I then opened LeafSpy, went into the settings (three little bars on upper right hand corner), and made sure the "service screen" was checkmarked. Clicked the back button on my phone, which brought me to the blue service screen.

3.I then clicked on VSP Settings, and edited to my hearts content. On first try, it gave me a "not supported" error, and during the attempt, I noticed the bluetooth connection in the bottom right was going wacko. So I just restarted my phone, restarted the leaf, and made sure the leaf was on and ready to drive (I was in accessory before). After that, it worked like a charm and very simple! I decided to disable the backup beep as well as the 0-18MPH driving noise. I like the startup song and the rest of the beeps.

Im super happy this function has made it into LeafSpy Pro! This was the catalyst to make me want to purchase the program. Well worth the $15.

Thanks again to the people that helped make this happen!!
Have you tried to get the sounds back (enable) ?
If its as easy as pushing enable/disable I may consider this .

I have disabled all the sounds on my 2016 SL and it did disable all of them.
I then re-enabled all but the backup sounds, and it worked perfectly.

SalisburySam said:
LeftieBiker said:
Lastly, and I don't know the answer to this, do people really pay attention to backup beepers anymore?

May be not . . .
The other day some people were chatting behind my car. They saw my family getting into my car. They keep chatting. I shifted into R to activate the reverse beeping. They keep chatting . . . . Eventually they were done and walked away.

LeftieBiker said:

I agree. The lawsuit would exonerate Nissan and your auto insurance company because the owner modified their car to remove a safety freature. This is
I'll advised in my view.

Is the beta version still available? I scrolled through all the details in the Google Play app, and there's no mention of a beta.

I dusted off the pre-paid Android phone I had just for LeafSpy, downloaded the Beta, and disabled my running sounds. No problems! (2015 LEAF S.)

SalisburySam said:
LeftieBiker said:
Not sure that is true. 1- It is always the driver's responsibility to not hit anyone/anything. Doing so pretty much guarantees a lawsuit, beeper or not. 2- The factory backup beeping was optional for 2011, i.e., you could turn it off. Would those vehicles have some sort of beeper risk exemption? 3- Many cars, not just EVs, are very, very quiet, or not heard because ambient noise levels are high. Few other than the EV have backup warnings other than backup lights and, oh yeah, the sight of a large multi-thousand-pound object moving.

I agree certainly that in general more presumed safety factors are better than not, and the backup beeper is one of these. I also agree with some posters that an optional ability to turn the beeper off is actually the best approach, to accommodate those of us backing out of garages in the early morning, hospital area parking, and other designated or expected-to-be quiet areas.

Lastly, and I don't know the answer to this, do people really pay attention to backup beepers anymore? Even today in any busy area there are so many such beepers and other noise pollution, my skepticism leads me to believe most sounds are just automatically tuned out, or masked by ear pods tuned to some favorite news or music channel. This doesn't negate a beeper's potential safety aspects, but I think it would be very, very hard to prevail in a lawsuit about a non-operational beeper.

I'm going to second what you've said. I personally can't stand the back up beeps, makes me feel like I'm driving a clown car or a short bus (j/k)! No but seriously I don't think they are even necessary as from what I've observed, no one pays attention to the beeps anyway. Most modern vehicles are just as quiet when backing up yet they don't have back up beeping?!?

I think all vehicles going forward should just use park assist sensors to alert the driver of an object/person behind the vehicle when backing up. The back up beeping is just an unnecessary annoyance to the driver (and to your neighbors trying to sleep!).

Ah hah! Found the beta link. https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro/join

After signing up for the beta it took about 36 hours for Google to update the app on my phone. I'm now the very happy owner of a very quiet Leaf. Worth every penny of the Pro app.

This change feels like I have Leaf 2.0. I really did not know that I hated the beeps and the driving sounds so much. I am pretty sure my neighbors are also very happy about this, they won't hear the beeps at 3am at night. I don't feel like I am driving a garbage truck now.

magico13 said:
I tried this on my 2015 SV last night and it didn't work for me. Mind you I also hadn't messed with the CAN bus at all before then and only use the bluetooth dongle I have for LEAFSpy normally. I sent everything verbatim, with the exception of changing the startup sound line to end with 00 so it would turn it off. After the last command that reboots the VSP it still made the startup chime and shifting into reverse still had the beeps. Going through it again and not rebooting the VSP still resulted in the reverse chime happening. That's the only one I really want to turn off.

This could just be user error (probably) or it might be because of the model year/trim being different, or it doesn't work in the first place. Not sure which.

I'll probably wait until it's in LEAFSpy before I try again.

aarond12 said:
No success on my 2015 "S". The commands did indeed reboot my VSP (I heard the startup chime), but neither the backup nor the drive sound was disabled. I also tried just disabling the drive sound and that also didn't work. :(

Edit: I now cannot turn off the startup sound in the cabin. :evil:

Same result on my MY2015 Acenta. And exact same inputs too - wonder if we did anything wrong?

aarond12, you can turn off the startup sound by enabling it (selecting sound1) and then disabling it!

Here is what I sent:

Code:
atz
atz

ELM327 v2.1

>ate0
ate0
OK

>ath1
OK

>ats0
OK

>atsp6
OK

>atcaf0
OK

>atv0
OK

>atsh 73f
OK

>atfcsh 73f
OK

>atfcsd 30 00 10
OK

>atfcsm 1
OK

>atcra 761
OK

>02 10 C0
7610250C00000000000

>03 3b 01 00
761037F3B7F00000000

>03 3b 02 00
761037F3B7F00000000

>03 3b 03 00
761037F3B7F00000000

>03 3b 04 00
761037F3B7F00000000

>02 10 85

I figured out the mystery sounds.

Sound A ? = Vehicle Start Up Sound "Effect 2" under Settings - Effects on the Cluster
Sound B ? = Vehicle Start Up Sound "Effect 3" under Settings - Effects on the Cluster
Sound C ? = Charge Port Door Sound Effects

Back