LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveinOlyWA said:
I also saw a test mule charging in Tacoma and I was surprised that the car does appear to be longer than my LEAF. If I had to guess, maybe 6-10" or so?...
How tall is the GEN 2?

Anyone who has the chance, at least try to walk up to the Gen 2 and measure it with your body (unless you have a better method).

Once we know the height, we can more accurately estimate the other dimensions by comparing photos.

Bonus points to whoever parks their LEAF next to a GEN 2 and posts the photos.

edatoakrun said:
GetOffYourGas said:
...shorter (height) and longer (length) would result in the same interior volume with much better aero.
And to me the camo images of the Gen 2, seem to show just that.

You can quantify the benefits in higher efficiency and larger interior volume in the Ioniq, a BEV ~ four inches lower than a LEAF, ~six inches lower than a Bolt (and ~two inches wider than either) in the comparison here:

http://plugincars.com/hyundai-ioniq

BTW, an i-3 is about 1" taller than a gen one LEAF.

Too bad this photo isn't from a better perspective.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
...Here's another:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/download/file.php?id=2499&mode=view

It does look a bit longer. Whats the possibility they were able to fit in a third row either like the model S or even a tiny one like the rogue?

Why yes, now that you mention it, I think that it IS also a minivan! And do I see hints of AWD? And a REX in the trunk, along with the spare tire??? Maybe!!!

NeilBlanchard said:
WAIT - the charging door is NOT the center of the grill? It is essentially the same shape - but up on the front of the hood?
That looks correct. I think the connector would be too low and pointed in an odd direction if it were behind the faux-grill.

Well if so, that is a disappointment, in terms of design. It also will (probably) be harder in the winter time - snow and ice will collect in there.

The current charging ports are down low in the same position as the new one, so if this is the final design, it is inelegant, to say the least.

NeilBlanchard said:
Well if so, that is a disappointment, in terms of design. It also will (probably) be harder in the winter time - snow and ice will collect in there.

The current charging ports are down low in the same position as the new one, so if this is the final design, it is inelegant, to say the least.
Hard to say, it looks roughly similar in this shot

2018_nissan_leaf_1.jpg

leaf-range-charging-electric-car.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.smart.jpg

It is similar to where it is now, but the angle is closer to level on the new Leaf.

Definitely surprising to me ...

The lower location would have resulted in access issues, and much more frequent damage to the ports in minor front end bang-ups. There is no perfect spot to put the ports on that nose...

I expect I'd use e-Pedal mode exclusively.

A single accelerator/decelerator pedal just makes sense in a BEV where regenerative braking meets nearly all normal driving requirements.

We will probably think of the friction brake pedal as an emergency brake, in the none-too-distant future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoEjXbHczo

Simple things can be amazing

Nissan announced today that the widely anticipated new Nissan LEAF will come with e-Pedal, a revolutionary technology that transforms the way we drive.

With the flip of a switch, the technology turns your accelerator into an e-Pedal, allowing drivers to accelerate, decelerate and stop using just the e-Pedal*. e-Pedal technology is the world's first one-pedal operation that allows drivers to bring the car to a complete stop even on hills, stay in position, and resume driving instantly.

Drivers can cover 90% of their driving needs with the e-Pedal, making the process of driving more exciting. In heavy traffic and during city commutes, drivers will greatly reduce the need to shift from one pedal to the other, making your drive simpler and more engaging.

The e-Pedal technology represents another key milestone in Nissan's ongoing commitment to bring accessible, advanced driver assistance technologies to the mainstream. Set to make driving safer and more enjoyable, the development of these technologies is part of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company's blueprint for transforming how cars are driven, powered and integrated into society.

By launching the Nissan LEAF, the world's first mass-market electric vehicle, Nissan established itself as pioneer in the EV movement. Today the Nissan LEAF is the world's best-selling electric vehicle, with more than 277,000 sold worldwide.
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/simple-things-can-be-amazing

From the graphic:
Press e-Pedal for an exciting drive
I hope they live up to that claim. Jumping ahead from a stop light is a cheap thrill, but my 2012 Leaf does not really provide an "exciting drive". And the 2013-2017's have even less torque, so less excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back