Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
DanCar said:
Poll for which Bolt improvements matter most to you. Poll results are visible after answering question and you can edit your answer as many times as you want.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SBK273Q

My #1 complaint was not there - lease price.

My #2 complaint was room - not just cargo but overall. May be we just don't like sub-compacts.

I think I'll echo those same comments. Not so much the lease price one, because I always seem to end up purchasing. However, if I ever got to a point where I wouldn't be owing the Govt. $7500 and yet still had enough income to get a new car (the two never seem to coincide) it might be more of an issue.

However, number 2 I'm 100% with you - the Bolt, even though I'm probably going to end up buying, is not an ideal size for me. I for one would like to see the Bolt drive train under the longer Volt body shell. I can't imagine the range sacrifice would be so great.

LeftieBiker said:
For us, it is the heating all the seats and the steering wheel that is forcing us to buy the Premier.

Eh? You can get heated seats and wheel in the LT by ordering the "Comfort & Convenience Package." The real bundling crime is making Surround View available only on the Premiere.

Not the rear seats, though.

mwalsh said:
evnow said:

My #2 complaint was room - not just cargo but overall. May be we just don't like sub-compacts.
I think I'll echo those same comments. Not so much the lease price one, because I always seem to end up purchasing. However, if I ever got to a point where I wouldn't be owing the Govt. $7500 and yet still had enough income to get a new car (the two never seem to coincide) it might be more of an issue.

However, number 2 I'm 100% with you - the Bolt, even though I'm probably going to end up buying, is not an ideal size for me. I for one would like to see the Bolt drive train under the longer Volt body shell. I can't imagine the range sacrifice would be so great.
I suppose you already know this, but GM CEO said that a huge range of vehicles with Bolt platform are coming.
https://youtu.be/ENW4ygOhCnY?t=1m

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
DanCar said:
Poll for which Bolt improvements matter most to you. Poll results are visible after answering question and you can edit your answer as many times as you want.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SBK273Q

Its all a matter of personal finances but the reality is that even if I did qualify for the 7500, Nissan leases are near zero interest loans against you financing that 7500 to get it back as much as a year later. I did the math and you pretty much have to buy in the last 2 months of the year to break even on a 4% loan...

waaaaay too much headache for me. But I don't have the tax liability so lease to purchase is the ONLY way to go afaic. Besides a nearly no risk 3 year test drive, I also have the real possibility of negotiating a better residual as well but then again,

this has nothing to do with the Bolt leasing does it? Only talking about how leases should be.

oh well, moving on!

DanCar said:
I suppose you already know this, but GM CEO said that a huge range of vehicles with Bolt platform are coming.
https://youtu.be/ENW4ygOhCnY?t=1m
I've stopped caring about announcements without dates / prices. Even with dates, if it is coming in 3 or 5 years, it is saying almost nothing. We can go back and count the dozens of EVs we should have had by now, going by such announcements.

evnow said:
I've stopped caring about announcements without dates / prices. Even with dates, if it is coming in 3 or 5 years, it is saying almost nothing. We can go back and count the dozens of EVs we should have had by now, going by such announcements.
You are going to have to shape up Mr. or Mrs. Evnow. The revolution is happening. Major car companies are announcing EV products in a big way! Sell the vision! haha

Purchased a Bolt Premier to replace the Honda Fit EV lease after 5 years. For me Fit EV was an excellent car for its 60k miles, and the Bolt is a close replacement with addition of DCFC, more room inside, better performance, and 3x the range. Can’t do solar and SCE tier plan was getting expensive, so moved to TOU. And the big battery lets me do all charging on Super Off-peak. After a month and 2K miles, I'm averaging the same 4.5mi/kWh I was getting in the Fit EV. Extra range is trans-formative. I don’t carry an EVSE or adapters unless I’m going camping. But performance is my favorite part of the Bolt. Jack Brown shared a clip from REFUEL this year.

Chevy Bolt Sets EV Production Record At REFUEL http://insideevs.com/chevy-bolt-sets-ev-production-record-refuel-beats-every-tesla-video/

GRA said:
Some more real-world Bolt road trip data, via GCR:
Electric-car road trip: lessons learned in Chevy Bolt EV over 1,300 miles
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1111505_electric-car-road-trip-lessons-learned-in-chevy-bolt-ev-over-1300-miles

See I don't get why they even bother with articles focusing so much on road trips in BEVS? Everyone knows that road trips are the ahilles heel of battery electric cars. If you do a lot of road trips then a BEV isn't the right choice for you. All the great things about BEVs and so many articles want to focus on the one negative thing. That would be like reading articles about ICE vehicles and all they focus on is the fact that you have to get oil changes with them, or that you always have to go to the gas station.

rcm4453 said:
...See I don't get why they even bother with articles focusing so much on road trips in BEVS? ...

EVs have a learning curve. Old news to those of us that have already made all the rookie mistakes, but as EVs are starting to show up on the radar of average buyers, this is all still news to them. Bolt Facebook page (actually, almost any EV Facebook page) is a daily lesson on the misconceptions held by new or potential owners. Putting these stories out helps educate the newly interested in what to expect, and an opportunity for experienced users to offer some useful sage advice on how to have a good experience.

KeiJidosha said:
rcm4453 said:
...See I don't get why they even bother with articles focusing so much on road trips in BEVS? ...

EVs have a learning curve. Old news to those of us that have already made all the rookie mistakes, but as EVs are starting to show up on the radar of average buyers, this is all still news to them. Bolt Facebook page (actually, almost any EV Facebook page) is a daily lesson on the misconceptions held by new or potential owners. Putting these stories out helps educate the newly interested in what to expect, and an opportunity for experienced users to offer some useful sage advice on how to have a good experience.

I understand the educational aspect for new people I just get tired of the articles that put BEVs in a negative light based solely on their inability to compete with ICE vehicles on road trips. Why focus so much on the 1-2% of a vehicles utility (road trips) when it excels in every other way 98-99% of the time?

I personally feel it's just a mindset thing, what do people really NEED vs. what they THINK they need. Because people are so used to having 400 miles of range all the time they think that's what they need every day. Same way of thinking comes into play with road trips, you don't need a vehicle that excels in that area when you rarely ever use it for that purpose. Better to have a vehicle that excels in 98-99% of it's required utility (BEV) vs an ICE vehicle which only excels in 1-2% of it's total utility. Is it really that big of a deal to rent a car for the 1 or 2 road trips you might take a year? I don't know, maybe I'm just too practical of a person, maybe the mainstream population just doesn't think that way.

rcm4453 said:
I understand the educational aspect for new people I just get tired of the articles that put BEVs in a negative light based solely on their inability to compete with ICE vehicles on road trips. Why focus so much on the 1-2% of a vehicles utility (road trips) when it excels in every other way 98-99% of the time?

I personally feel it's just a mindset thing, what do people really NEED vs. what they THINK they need. Because people are so used to having 400 miles of range all the time they think that's what they need every day. Same way of thinking comes into play with road trips, you don't need a vehicle that excels in that area when you rarely ever use it for that purpose. Better to have a vehicle that excels in 98-99% of it's required utility (BEV) vs an ICE vehicle which only excels in 1-2% of it's total utility. Is it really that big of a deal to rent a car for the 1 or 2 road trips you might take a year? I don't know, maybe I'm just too practical of a person, maybe the mainstream population just doesn't think that way.

Agree with you on everything. But to our collective disappointment, many (most) car buying decisions are emotional, and so somewhat irrational. An $8k used Toyota Yaris would do for me essentially everything the Bolt will. But for subjective reasons, I bought the Bolt anyway. Irrational to others, but it makes me happy :)

rcm4453 said:
GRA said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1111505_electric-car-road-trip-lessons-learned-in-chevy-bolt-ev-over-1300-miles
See I don't get why they even bother with articles focusing so much on road trips in BEVS? Everyone knows that road trips are the achilles heel of battery electric cars. If you do a lot of road trips then a BEV isn't the right choice for you. All the great things about BEVs and so many articles want to focus on the one negative thing. That would be like reading articles about ICE vehicles and all they focus on is the fact that you have to get oil changes with them, or that you always have to go to the gas station.
I agree that they're somewhat redundant, but occasional ones do serve a purpose, by showing the effects of improved infrastructure (or where it's needed). However, in the specific case of a new vehicle, the data is useful even if the trip isn't a practical one.

rcm4453 said:
GRA said:

See I don't get why they even bother with articles focusing so much on road trips in BEVS? Everyone knows that road trips are the ahilles heel of battery electric cars. If you do a lot of road trips then a BEV isn't the right choice for you. All the great things about BEVs and so many articles want to focus on the one negative thing. That would be like reading articles about ICE vehicles and all they focus on is the fact that you have to get oil changes with them, or that you always have to go to the gas station.

Well I guess you would likely consider me to be a medical miracle...

DaveinOlyWA said:
rcm4453 said:
GRA said:
Some more real-world Bolt road trip data, via GCR: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1111505_electric-car-road-trip-lessons-learned-in-chevy-bolt-ev-over-1300-miles

Well I guess you would likely consider me to be a medical miracle...

Please do explain....

rcm4453 said:
KeiJidosha said:
rcm4453 said:

I don't need more than 240 miles range because of superchargers. Could even deal with 215 but it makes some super charger trips more pleasant. However I never have to rent a car or worry about driving anywhere. Now I don't need a second car and I can go anywhere I need to go in the US. with little effort, that is until all the Model 3 people sit and charge from 90 to 100 every day two blocks form their homes.

There is no way in hell I could do the trips I've done lately with DC "fast" charging.

GRA said:
A very good road trip summary, though not necessarily Bolt-specific.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Too many Bolts?
https://electrek.co/2017/07/18/gm-chevy-bolt-ev-inventory-factory-shutdown/

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-extends-shutdown-bolt-factory-inventory-hits-selling-days/

Reuters adds that Bolt inventory is now at 111 selling days, up from 104 in June. That’s way over GM’s target number of around 70 selling days for its vehicles.

Back