Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While there have been a few other SC openings this month, there are two which opened today I consider significant: Truth or Consequences, NM (I-25, joins El Paso to ABQ although a slightly longish leg @ 149 miles), and Grenada, MS (I-55, chops the leg distance in half between Memphis and Jackson). Others have been Dows, IA; Sequim, WA; and Marshall, MI.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Any thoughts on when the AlCan highway will have coverage?
I would think very late. After all, Alaska's just about the least suitable climate for a BEV there is, especially one with lots of unreliable features that are unlikely to work well in cold and snow/ice.

OTOH, someone charged at the (still not officially open) Rock Springs, WY SC on I-80 on Friday, and made it all the way to Cheyenne in their Model S90D, driving at night so no a/c (temps in the '60s), Range mode with a full charge, keeping their speed down to 60 mph to Rawlins, 70 between Rawlins and Laramie and 85 between Laramie and Cheyenne. Westbound will be tougher given the climb from Cheyenne. Still needed are Evanston and Rawlins to make it possible for S60s to get across Wyoming (just Rawlins to make it easy for big battery cars), and Laramie as well to make it easy for all year-round in both directions. As they're all under construction, they should open within the next month or two.

Also, there are now 3 sites known to be permitted with 40 SC stalls each, in Kettleman City and Baker, CA, and one in Norway.

LTLFTcomposite said:
40 stalls? That's more hookups than the Downton Abbey finale.
There are other big ones going on as well 20/18/16...

Via supercharger.info
CtBOr0h.jpg

Wow, a 20 stall SC in Albany? That will be worth checking out. Makes sense to me - a lot of people heading north on I-87 pass through Albany before heading East / North / West.

GRA said:
...Also, there are now 3 sites known to be permitted with 40 SC stalls each, in Kettleman City and Baker, CA, and one in Norway.
At 40 stalls that certainly changes the charging dynamics. Even if full, a car should be leaving every minute or two, on average, keeping the line of cars moving. Although I would expect that those 40 stall sites would rarely be completely full if the rest of the network continues to expand apace. If DCFC stations become as ubiquitous as gas stations — a long way to go, to be sure — charge station lines should disappear as a concern.

GetOffYourGas said:
Wow, a 20 stall SC in Albany? That will be worth checking out. Makes sense to me - a lot of people heading north on I-87 pass through Albany before heading East / North / West.
I've seen the existing Albany SC with at most 5 cars in the 8 times I've been there, but I'm sure it's going to get more crowded as deliveries ramp up.

I hope the new SCs planned for Buffalo and Rochester are as close to the highway as the Albany one is. The existing one in Buffalo is physically close to the highway but takes about 10 minutes to get to because of the traffic lights.

If Tesla would focus as Porsche appears to have, i.e. per the previous Mission E link - a 15 minute charge time,
on increasing the charge rate to approach 10C (6 minutes), Tesla wouldn't have to build so many SCs. Once that occurs,
a BEV's 're-fueling' time basically equals that of a typical ICEV and only range is left as a key differentiator for the consumer.

lorenfb said:
If Tesla would focus as Porsche appears to have, i.e. per the previous Mission E link - a 15 minute charge time,
on increasing the charge rate to approach 10C (6 minutes), Tesla wouldn't have to build so many SCs. Once that occurs,
a BEV's 're-fueling' time basically equals that of a typical ICEV and only range is left as a key differentiator for the consumer.
:roll:
Tesla has shown more focus and dedication to a charging network than any other manufacturer.
When Porsche has as many chargers as well distributed as Tesla's then I will agree. Certainly not now.

Zythryn said:
lorenfb said:
:roll:
Tesla has shown more focus and dedication to a charging network than any other manufacturer.
When Porsche has as many chargers as well distributed as Tesla's then I will agree. Certainly not now.
A fair point. OTOH, there are often advantages to being a follower rather than a pioneer. While no BEV manufacturer to date other than Tesla has made more than a token effort at building a charging network, VW's now being forced to, and seems to be allowing for the next gen of EV QCing from the get-go. What's also needed will be battery packs that can handle the higher 3rd gen (ca. 350kW) QC rates, either through voltage/size or chemistry.

Construction of 8 superchargers now complete behind Chapter's Woodgrove mall Nanaimo.
The construction fencing still up and the meter is not flashing yet so it is yet to be commissioned, I did manage to sneak a quick look through the open gate looks like 4- 300 amp superchargers c/w 8- 150 amp pedestals.
Great for Vancouver island, now if I could only afford to buy one :(

I heard this in the Model 3 turn over presentation last night (28July2017) --- triple superchargers by the end of 2018 (world)
28 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xikAWPjWxQ

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/first-tesla-model-3-s-handed-over-in-live-streaming-party-ar177162.html
"What’s more, Musk says Tesla will triple the number of superchargers in service over the course of the next year..."

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/new-tesla-model-3-launch-heres-what-we-learned
"Not only that, there’s a plan to triple the number of superchargers across the globe, making it possible to quick charge your car anywhere."

Current state.
HjMhKZK.jpg

QIQi8tZ.jpg

End of July summary. 7 U.S. SCs opened last month, making 39 for the year and 379 total: Dows, IA (7/1; I-35); Sequim, WA (7/5; U.S. 101 on the Olympic Peninsula); Marshall, MI (7/8; Jct. I-69/94); Truth or Consequences, NM (7/8; I-25 between El Paso and ABQ); Grenada, MS (7/8; I-55, halves the leg between Memphis and Jackson, MS); Evanston, WY (7/18; I-80); Cambridge, OH (7/26; Jct. I-70/77, infill).

Three other SCs, in Rock Springs, WY, Erwin, NY, and McAllen, TX, have been reported used at least once by customers, but aren't officially open. Rock Springs is reported offline today.

36 U.S. SCs (including the 3 above) are known to be under construction, which I believe is the highest total ever: Sacramento, Fremont - Kato Rd., Monterey, and Burbank - Town Center, CA; Stateline, NV (South Lake Tahoe); Rawlins and Laramie WY; Austin, TX; Green Bay, WI; Chicago - Lakeshore and Rolling Meadows, IL; Steele, AL; Cookeville, TN; Traverse City and Lansing, MI; Ft. Wayne, IN; Live Oak, Pinellas Park and Sarasota, FL; Morgantown and Weston, WV; Charlottesville, VA; Irwin, Breezewood and Falls Creek, PA; Aberdeen, Grasonville, National Harbor, North East and La Vale, MD; Albany - Cross Gates Mall, NY; Danbury, CT; Leominster, MA.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Canadian SC, In Nanaimo, BC opened last month, making 27 total.

2 Canadian SCs are known to be under construction: Edmonton, AB, and Saint-Romuald, QC.

lorenfb said:
Tesla is way too smart to pursue that approach.

Falls Creek, PA. is open, finally making driving I-80 between NYC and Cleveland easily possible year-round for big battery cars, still a bit tight for small ones (158 and 138 mile legs between Macedonia and Bloomsburg now, vice 296 until now). The legs will be further shortened once they add Bellefonte and W. Middlesex. Now they just have to get the four Wyoming SCs on I-80 open to finally complete it end to end, especially for S60s and small battery Model 3s. Should happen this month or next. This is all long overdue and they'll have missed most or all of the summer vacation travel, but at least the finish line is now in sight.

Although this is likely an edge/unsual case for this Supercharger (folks traveling for the eclipse), https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/15-cars-in-line-2-hour-wait.96550/#post-2263917 was nuts. The OP of the thread waited almost 4 hours to Supercharge in Corning, CA.

Back