LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the default mode has free wheel coasting - which is more efficient, because you accelerate less. Regen is great - but having it integrated on the brake pedal is the best way to use it.

As long as you can choose a mode (normal, coast, e-pedal) and have the car stay in it, I don't care which is the factory default, as long as it actually has all three.

Sounds like next level tech to what the BMW i3 has. As someone who uses "B" a lot in everyday driving, this is a feature I would enjoy having.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-one-pedal-driving-video/

Interesting update below explains one way that e-Pedal operation differs from Bolt (and other BEVs?).

Obviously, there could be some benefits in terms of added safety and efficiency from the e-Pedal system.

We Should Welcome The E-Pedal In The New Nissan Leaf, But It's Not The World's First: Updated

...Update: I heard back from Nissan spokesman Joshua Clifton who explained that the unique feature of the e-pedal system is that as the car comes to a stop, the hydraulic brakes are automatically applied to keep the vehicle stationary without the driver having to apply the brake. GM offers similar functionality in Bolt to hold the car but it is implemented differently. On the Bolt, the hydraulic brakes are only applied when the driver actually presses the brake pedal as well as for assist systems like automatic emergency braking and stability control. When the car slows under regen braking, at low speed as kinetic energy fades out, the control system applies a trickle of juice to the motor to generate sufficient reverse torque to bring the car to a full stop and hold it in place.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2017/07/19/we-should-welcome-the-e-pedal-in-the-new-nissan-leaf-but-its-not-the-worlds-first/#5b8f2c9c72a2

The regen system of the Ioniq sounds, to me, like the best system currently available.

From what I understand, it has two steering wheel paddles - one that bumps up regen and the other that lessens regen. Also, there are 4 levels of regen to choose from including a coasting mode that basically disables regen completely.

Hope the new Leaf has similar functionality, even if the implimentation details are different.

edatoakrun said:
Interesting update below explains one way that e-Pedal operation differs from Bolt (and other BEVs?).

Obviously, there could be some benefits in terms of added safety and efficiency from the e-Pedal system.

We Should Welcome The E-Pedal In The New Nissan Leaf, But It's Not The World's First: Updated

...Update: I heard back from Nissan spokesman Joshua Clifton who explained that the unique feature of the e-pedal system is that as the car comes to a stop, the hydraulic brakes are automatically applied to keep the vehicle stationary without the driver having to apply the brake. GM offers similar functionality in Bolt to hold the car but it is implemented differently. On the Bolt, the hydraulic brakes are only applied when the driver actually presses the brake pedal as well as for assist systems like automatic emergency braking and stability control. When the car slows under regen braking, at low speed as kinetic energy fades out, the control system applies a trickle of juice to the motor to generate sufficient reverse torque to bring the car to a full stop and hold it in place.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2017/07/19/we-should-welcome-the-e-pedal-in-the-new-nissan-leaf-but-its-not-the-worlds-first/#5b8f2c9c72a2
Tesla's system holds the brakes once you press the brake pedal once, after which you can release the brake pedal but the brakes are held on until you press the accelerator (or the brake pedal). Once I started using it, I liked it and wondered why they just didn't implement the next obvious thing, similar to how the E-Pedal is described in the quote above: just apply the brakes automatically as the car comes to a stop.

Then I realized a potential downside: if you got used to the car doing this, and then moved back to a car that didn't do this, you might end up tail-ending the car in front of you at a traffic light.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I also saw a test mule charging in Tacoma and I was surprised that the car does appear to be longer than my LEAF. If I had to guess, maybe 6-10" or so? l
I hope it's not closer to the 10" side... A few inches bigger is probably OK.
Otherwise, it might not fit in my garage.. ;-(

It would be funny to end up with a Bolt mostly because the Leaf wouldn't fit in the garage.. ;-)

desiv

jlv said:
... if you got used to the car doing this, and then moved back to a car that didn't do this, you might end up tail-ending the car in front of you at a traffic light.

I haven't heard any Bolt drivers reporting having these accidents, after switching back to other cars.

Tesla's system holds the breaks once you press the break pedal once, after which you can release the break pedal but the breaks are held on until you press the accelerator (or the break pedal). Once I started using it, I liked it and wondered why they just didn't implement the next obvious thing, similar to how the E-Pedal is described in the quote above: just apply the breaks automatically as the car comes to a stop.

Please, folks. It's "brake" or "brakes." Or at least use the wrong word more sparingly! ;-)

edatoakrun said:
I haven't heard any Bolt drivers reporting having these accidents, after switching back to other cars.
I said might. I doubt "these" accidents are happening. I wasn't trolling. I think auto braking like this will be another good thing the car can do for you. I was just pointing out the possible pitfalls of depending upon new features and switching back to cars that don't have them.

For instance, I really like the mechanism in the Tesla that just turns off the car when you get out with the fob. I've already left the LEAF on twice by getting used to that feature.

Nissan's implementation sounds like it could be pretty ideal to me. BMW will bring you to a complete halt and then it shuts off the brake lights at rest (I roll up on one doing this on my commute often). Tesla requires you to push the brake following regen and then it activates the hold feature. The Bolt comes to a stop with negative torque and then just sits there but I don't remember it holding the car or keeping the brake lamps on.

If the Leaf's single-pedal operation will slow the car to a complete stop and then keep the brakes and the brake lights engaged that would be exactly what I would want. Sounds slick.

alozzy said:
The regen system of the Ioniq sounds, to me, like the best system currently available.

From what I understand, it has two steering wheel paddles - one that bumps up regen and the other that lessens regen. Also, there are 4 levels of regen to choose from including a coasting mode that basically disables regen completely.

Hope the new Leaf has similar functionality, even if the implimentation details are different.

Agreed - the e-Golf also does it this way. The difference is it has the different levels on the shifter, and doesn't have paddles.

NeilBlanchard said:
alozzy said:

Agreed - the e-Golf also does it this way. The difference is it has the different levels on the shifter, and doesn't have paddles.
I definitely think paddle(s) are the best way to go, but putting regen levels on the shifter is a good second best. Actually, I think I might prefer what the Volt 2 (and Bolt) do, with a regen paddle plus B mode. AIUI, that gives you coast/mild regen/strong regen/really strong regen depending on which combo you're using, which is all I need. Use the paddle for slowing down while cruising, B mode around town and on steep downhills, with the paddle as well if more is needed. The only time multiple levels of regen on a shifter/paddle would be needed is if you regularly drove long steep descents that required constant high levels of regen. Course, whether that's necessary all depends on just how much regen is available with each option.

Interesting range prediction (165 mi?) on insideevs.com : http://insideevs.com/next-gen-nissan-leaf-spotted-dash-displays-265-km165-miles-of-range/

From the photo, it also looks like there might just be 1 set of bars in the 2018... Wonder how degradation for the warranty will be calculated?

Dooglas said:
The 165 mile range would be compatible with the 39/40 kwh battery pack we have been hearing about.
Related to your 40 kWh comment. A 60 is 'required' to compete with the Bolt's range for sure.
From article by Jay Cole
http://insideevs.com/next-gen-nissan-leaf-spotted-dash-displays-265-km165-miles-of-range/
Given expectations of the new LEAF arriving with a ~40 kWh and also a ~60 kWh battery option, this would seem to at least confirm the entry level around 40 kWh, as the current generation’s 30 kWh battery is rated for 172km/107 miles of EPA driving.

We should note that Nicholas states “99% battery is shown for 295 km (183 miles)” when describing the picture, but upon further inspection, it appears to us to read 265 km…you be the judge.
Also to note: these pictures where taken by the Aire de Corbières (in Aude), just off the A61 motorway (the vehicle was registered in Spain), so the numbers are likely conservative after recently having completed a stretch of driving on the 130 km/h (81 mph) route.
From comments section in above article:
Jay Cole July 23, 2017 at 2:24 pm
The ‘scuttlebutt’ has been for a ZOE-sized 40 kWhish offering out of the gate, and a 60 kWh shortly thereafter.

With that said, there has been no hard confirmation of either, other than obvious completed 60 kWh pack displays from the IDS and Nissan’s comments about a 200+ mile EV, and early reports of an entry 40 kWh pack for the new LEAF – and now these photos.

Given the way Nissan has priced the LEAF in the past (and the currently advertised competition), if there is a 40 kWh (~160 mile) and 60 kWh (~140 mile) split, one would expect (as a WAG) the base LEAF to retail around ~33-35k USD, and the 60 kWh at more like ~$38-40k USD. But who knows? …well, we will know in about six weeks I suppose. It is just nice to finally get to the point where the 2nd gen EVs are finally launching – been a long wait, (=

scottf200 said:
<snip>
From article by Jay Cole
http://insideevs.com/next-gen-nissan-leaf-spotted-dash-displays-265-km165-miles-of-range/
Given expectations of the new LEAF arriving with a ~40 kWh and also a ~60 kWh battery option, this would seem to at least confirm the entry level around 40 kWh, as the current generation’s 30 kWh battery is rated for 172km/107 miles of EPA driving.
While around 150-165 miles of range is reasonable for a 40kWh pack, the location of the 265km display, adjacent to what appears to be the odometer reading (5133 km) makes me wonder if the 265km is a trip meter read-out rather than a GoM display. If so, we have no idea whether it was reset when it was charged.

scottf200 said:
Related to your 40 kWh comment. A 60 is 'required' to compete with the Bolt's range for sure.
I consistently get 120 miles or more on a 30 kwh battery so 160 miles or so on a 40 kwh battery sounds about like what I would expect (though I'm sure the EPA rating will be less than that). And it isn't clear to me that Nissan is "required" to compete directly with the Bolt. A 160 mile vehicle at ten thousand dollars below the price of the Bolt (and a better built vehicle at that), is likely to be a viable choice IMO.

Dooglas said:
... And it isn't clear to me that Nissan is "required" to complete directly with the Bolt. A 160 mile vehicle at ten thousand dollars below the price of the Bolt (and a better built vehicle at that), is likely to be a viable choice IMO.
Hmm, besides price and range how can the Leaf compete well against the Bolt?
1. Will the Leaf have uncomfortable seats?
2. Will the Leaf have cheap hard plastic interior?
3. Will the Leaf be bigger?
4. Will the Leaf have better performance?
5. Will the Leaf have higher efficiency? Better aerodynamics? Cost less per mile driven?
6. Stop and go cruise control? Adaptive cruise control?
7. Embedded android auto with always listening Google Assistant?
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/15/15640596/google-android-auto-audi-volvo-apple-carplay-io-2017
8. Navigation system?
9. Luxury features like multiple fast USB chargers throughout cabin?
10. 150 kW fast charging speed?
11. Better utilization of floor space? Don't take up valuable space with a shifter.
12. Dual drive system?
13. Lane keep assist? ProPilot.
14. Very unlikely, but would be nice if Nissan took the dealer hassle out and allowed ordering online. This was done with original 2010 Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back