NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was kind of surprised yesterday when I received a phone call from my dealer advising me that my 2011, which I've always had serviced there, was due for it's maintenance inspection and to have recall work done. They told me that the recall was for the 2G to 3G upgrade. I purposely never upgraded as I rarely used it and read of the problems with it. I asked about the $200 cost and was told it was complimentary. As I like to keep the car in the best shape possible and knowing the early backstory of this upgrade, I am asking myself whether I should leave well enough alone or gamble that has there been headway made in the "fuse pulling" situation. I'm seeing some posts here about a resolution and wonder if they are calling me because they found one or just need to clear modems off the shelf. I've always had great service from the Dealer (United Nissan) but would hate to open a can of aggravation.

AlanSqB said:
TCU upgrade completed Friday morning. Warning light on Saturday morning and ever since.

Yay :-(
If it's a yellow ! car, it should go away after a couple power cycles, but may return.

If you have Leaf Spy, would be curious to know the DTCs and if any are the P3131 we've posted about. If so, clear it and see if the yellow ! car returns, accompanied by P3131.

No new update for me from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=499192#p499192. I haven't gotten any more of the above issues after doing what I mentioned there. Receipt of charging stopped/complete emails from Nissan Connect is still intermittent.

It did clear after a couple days. I didn't get Leaf spy on it in time.

Seems ok now. I don't get any charging notifications but I can turn on my A/C which is the most important thing.

Lambtron said:
II am asking myself whether I should leave well enough alone or gamble that has there been headway made in the "fuse pulling" situation.

I'd suggest waiting. The old unit will do no harm, the new unit might cause 12V battery problems.

Once there are second generation upgrades out for 6 months or so with few reports of issues, then upgrade.

Let those of us that use the feature more debug it.

Lambtron said:
They told me that the recall was for the 2G to 3G upgrade.
If you would be so kind, can you try to find out the recall number associated with this? I'd love to contact my dealer to see if I could get it done as part of a recall, and I'm sure others on the forum would too, so you'd be help many of your fellow long-time LEAFers. :D

Thanks in advance!

AlanSqB said:

Seems ok now. I don't get any charging notifications but I can turn on my A/C which is the most important thing.
Even if the yellow ! car goes away, the DTCs should still be stored.

ahagge said:
Lambtron said:
They told me that the recall was for the 2G to 3G upgrade.
If you would be so kind, can you try to find out the recall number associated with this? I'd love to contact my dealer to see if I could get it done as part of a recall, and I'm sure others on the forum would too, so you'd be help many of your fellow long-time LEAFers. :D

Thanks in advance!

The story sounded strange so I went to to the dealer to confirm the offer and see if the probs have been solved. The probs still exist but they are waiting for a fix and the phone call was legitimately placed but the info was wrong. $199. makes this an easy decision. used it only to update charging locations but with plugshare it is not needed at all.

cwerdna said:
AlanSqB said:

Even if the yellow ! car goes away, the DTCs should still be stored.
I can't get LeafSpy to work at all. Got the module plugged in and it shows up, but no data.

Going to mess with it more when I have free time.

Had to give up on my Bluetooth module and dig the Wifi module back out.

Ok None ---> ABS
Ok None ---> AIR BAG
C1704 0008 BCM Low Pressure FL WT-26
C1705 0008 BCM Low Pressure FR WT-26
Ok None ---> BRAKE
B2820 0008 CHARGER Quick Charger VC-63
U1008 8708 CHARGER Quick Charger Comm VC-49
U100B 8708 CHARGER Quick Charger Comm VC-49
U100B 8F08 CHARGER Quick Charger Comm VC-49
Ok None ---> EPS
Ok None ---> EV/HEV
Ok None ---> HVAC
Ok None ---> HV BATTERY
Ok None ---> IPDM E/R
Ok None ---> METER
Ok None ---> MOTOR CONTROL
U1232 0108 MULTI AV St Angle Sen Calib AV-88
Ok None ---> SHIFT
Ok None ---> TCU
Ok None ---> VSP

I got mine replaced 3 weeks ago. The owner's portal can't talk to my Leaf anylonger and the NissanConnectEV never worked even though I tried a number of times (last year and this).

I'm not paying the monthly fee (is there one these days?) for their "service". Do I need to do that, or is there something else I should do?

tlim said:
I got mine replaced 3 weeks ago. The owner's portal can't talk to my Leaf anylonger and the NissanConnectEV never worked even though I tried a number of times (last year and this).

I'm not paying the monthly fee (is there one these days?) for their "service". Do I need to do that, or is there something else I should do?

Call the Nissan LEAF EV Support line at 877-664-2738 and explain the situation. You may need to update information in your online account on their servers or it could be something with the TCU that the dealer would need to address. It could also be both so you need to talk to Customer Service to get started toward resolution. There is no monthly fee.

For the past two weeks Can't use Nissan EV_zero emission app, shows 0 miles range And gives error message 'no communications with vehicle could be established..." Owner Portal website not getting communications either. Opened Case with EV_Customer Service. Had TCU replaced in December, had to go back to dealer 2x but all was working fine 2 weeks ago, but all of a sudden everything stopped connecting. Tech Department at EV_Customer Service has no clue, which is hard to believe because these problems have been occurring for many many many other owners over the last 6 months to a year. Incredible Customer Service, Nissan. NOT!!!

* ****Update pulled fuse number 34, 20 amp by the battery waited two minutes reinserted it, checked my app and everything works fine. This is so ridiculous.

Have we seen any progress yet on these TCU upgrades? Have they issued any fixes? Upgraded any hardware? Or should I continue to wait on doing the upgrade? I been holding off based on the input here. The dealer tells me "oh, we have done a lot of TCU upgrades and have not heard of a single problem". So for some reason they are pushing hard for me to get this upgrade done.

When I inform them of this forum and the massive thread about problems with the TCU upgrade they give me the "you believe anything you see on the internet don't you..." look. I really get tired of explaining to "people" at dealerships of known issues and get treated like dog doo doo... I keep explaining it anyway and they keep insisting there isn't a problem. So I am waiting on the green light here on the forum before I do anything.

So are we still waiting for action from Nissan on this issue? Thanks.

dsh said:
For the past two weeks Can't use Nissan EV_zero emission app, shows 0 miles range And gives error message 'no communications with vehicle could be established..." Owner Portal website not getting communications either. Opened Case with EV_Customer Service. Had TCU replaced in December, had to go back to dealer 2x but all was working fine 2 weeks ago, but all of a sudden everything stopped connecting. Tech Department at EV_Customer Service has no clue, which is hard to believe because these problems have been occurring for many many many other owners over the last 6 months to a year. Incredible Customer Service, Nissan. NOT!!!

* ****Update pulled fuse number 34, 20 amp by the battery waited two minutes reinserted it, checked my app and everything works fine. This is so ridiculous.
It's your 12v battery as explained 1,000,000* times in this thread already. Also don't use Nissan's app use Leaf Manager.

*not actually 1,000,000

VitaminJ said:
It's your 12v battery

Does not explain the issue. Battery voltages are higher in hotter temperatures, so the problem would be much worse in winter and less so in summer if it was explained by battery voltages. I don't see any hint of this.

Sure, a nearly dead battery can cause all sorts of issues. But these kinds of flakies get worse as the battery dies. I don't see any hint of this.

VitaminJ said:
dsh said:

It's your 12v battery as explained 1,000,000* times in this thread already. Also don't use Nissan's app use Leaf Manager.

*not actually 1,000,000

The battery is not the source of the problem. It's the recipient of the problem, which is the TCU's failure to
power-down (enter its 'sleep' mode) under some modes of operation, thus draining the battery.

Back