sound insulation for highway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estomax

hey guys,

I am quite happy with the new (to me) leaf, but I expected it to be a bit quieter on the highway. My main complaint is noise from the tires probably, as I cannot hear wind noise like I can hear in my other cars. Has anyone done any testing to add insulation (like dynamat) to reduce interior noise at freeway speeds?

changing out tires with good tread is not a good economical choice either, rocking the stock Michelin energy saver a/s right now on 17s.

cheers
Marko

Tires do seem to be the main variable when it comes to road noise. I'm not sure it makes sense to try to insulate the whole car from tire noise. Try experimenting with different tire pressures.

My buddy has a car audio shop and he uses dynamat for sound deadening. Fatmat is another good material

cool plan, please post some pictures / before and after results if you can. maybe capture sound levels on the highway with your phone before and after for the sake of science too :) Coming from Audis and Lexuses I wouldn't mind making this thing quieter on the highway.

cheers,
Marko

I put Dynamite equivalent in all 4 of my doors when I did speakers. road noise isn't hugely improved, but perceived interior quality (tinnieness) improved notably.

It seems that the quietness of the powertrain led Nissan to totally cheap out on the sound deadening. Of course that does nothing for other noise sources like tires. I noticed that if I play the stereo even at a moderate volume, even with the doors shut and windows rolled up I could easily hear the lyrics while standing outside the car.

Andrejun said:
I put Dynamite equivalent in all 4 of my doors when I did speakers. road noise isn't hugely improved, but perceived interior quality (tinnieness) improved notably.

Hopefully you mean "DynaMat" and not "dynamite." The latter would actually make the interior very loud, albeit for fractions of a second :lol:

Back