After several minutes the car shuts itself off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

This from experience. A few times I have left the car 'on' and eaten up range. I would like to see a Leaf that would have the option to shut down automatically after several minutes to prevent this from happening.

My eGolf does this and personally I find it to be more annoying than anything else.

If you continually forget to turn the car off, perhaps use the power button as the "Park" button. When the car is stationary and your footy is on the brake; just turn off the car. It will automatically put the car in Park.

RonDawg said:
If you continually forget to turn the car off, perhaps use the power button as the "Park" button. When the car is stationary and your footy is on the brake; just turn off the car. It will automatically put the car in Park.

That's what I've done all along. Problem avoided.

LeftieBiker said:
RonDawg said:

+1, what PARK button :lol:
Like I do with our '07 Prius, just put foot on break and push the power button, goes in park and turns off in one easy push.

LeftieBiker said:
RonDawg said:

O/T but I got so used to this that when I rented an ICEV with pushbutton start, on the first day I repeatedly would turn off the car but not put the conventional transmission lever into Park first, which would leave the ignition energized.

It's one feature of the Leaf that I do miss now that I have an eGolf.

Oh and BTW that should read "foot on the brake" and not "footy on the brake." (I wrote that while using my smartphone so I didn't catch the error.)

RonDawg said:
LeftieBiker said:
RonDawg said:

O/T but I got so used to this that when I rented an ICEV with pushbutton start, on the first day I repeatedly would turn off the car but not put the conventional transmission lever into Park first, which would leave the ignition energized.

It's one feature of the Leaf that I do miss now that I have an eGolf.

Oh and BTW that should read "foot on the brake" and not "footy on the brake." (I wrote that while using my smartphone so I didn't catch the error.)

I have had that same problem with rental ICEV's.

People forget to turn on ICE vehicles too, it's not the car's problem. Same thread popped up all the time with the Prius before they were more mainstream. "It's so quiet, I left it running all night." The car did exactly what you told it to do, that's a design win.

I leave cars on purposefully for reasons. I would be angry if the car decided to shut itself off. Then it can't be used as an emergency generator. Can't be left to heatup, left to cool-down, and if you get stuck in traffic, does it just randomly shutdown if you don't move for 5 minutes?

Not a problem that needs solving. Just turn the car off before you get out like every other vehicle ever made excluding Tesla.

I am also glad the Leaf does not turn off automatically after a period of time and I had a first hand chance to use this feature over the last few days. New Orleans had an extreme rain on the Aug 5th and street flooding got a little bit of water inside our car. Not too bad, but enough to get water under the cushioning under the carpets. I took the seats out and lifted the carpet vacuumed out the water and left the Leaf ON to use the air conditioner as a dehumidifier. It worked well and dried out the interior. If the car would have been turning off every few minutes this would not have worked.

Back