Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2011 66393 odo, 50.46ah, 76% state of health.
27QC, 2219 L1/L2 charges.

Just lost my second bar last night 7/7/17.

Battery temps ran really high while driving on a flat battery. 113 degrees, it spent all day parked, I charged at night, after that charge I lost another bar.

Purchased this car used. Came from Ventura ca. Had very few QC on it. 11bar. I don't think it likes the Bakersfield ca weather to much.

oleviking said:
Just lost my second bar as well, but at about 7,500 miles. 77% SOH
This is on a 30 kwh '16 SV, right? I'd seen an earlier reply of yours at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=499004#p499004.

Let me start by saying that I am 79+ yrs old. I LOVE this car. My wife LOVES this car. Maintenance during the past 6 yrs? 1-12V battery, and a new set of Ecopias. Also a new battery for the key fobs. The Annual Traction Battery checks were performed as required, with no problems. I always rotate my tires myself. I've never had a flat tire. No one has ever driven the car except my wife and I (and the Nissan folks).

So, I lost my 4th bar today on my 2011 SL, with 37,475 miles. I made payment in full, in cash when I took delivery of the car new from Kearney Mesa Nissan here in San Diego on 6/16/2011. The VIN is: JN1XXXXXX XXXX4248, which is the 4248th Leaf off the line in Japan. In my opinion, It is probably the most pampered 2011 SL on the planet, due to the following:

1. I've never seen 7 temp bars--I do see 6 bars about once a week for a short period, in July-Aug here in SAN. Most of the time, I'm @ 5 temp bars all year.
2. I have quick charged exactly once for about 5 minutes about 4 yrs ago @ KM Nissan, just to make sure the CHADEMO worked. It worked just fine.
3. Over 95% of my charging has been level 2, at home in the garage, at night and almost always to only 80%, using the onboard timer. I've used public Level 2 charging about a half dozen times in the past 6+ yrs.
4. During the past 6 months, I've needed to charge to 100% about once a month, on occasions where I needed to drive more than 40 miles round trip from home. Now, it looks like we'll need to charge to 100% every Saturday night, in order to make it to church and back without stopping somewhere to charge.
5. My car is always garaged at night, in a cool garage about 7 miles from the beach here in SAN. It has been rained on a couple times.
6. I've never driven over 70mph, except for an occasional brief period to pass another car or going downhill and not watching my speed. My lifetime dashboard power consumption is 4.6 miles per KWh. We like to drive in the right lane, when on the freeway, usually @ 55-60 mph. We've never had a problem with that, and never caused traffic issues with other drivers who like to go 70-80 mph. Each to his own.
I installed the Leaf Dash Display several yrs ago, and use it to monitor my traction battery very closely.

Here's my problem: Since my traction battery is out of warranty, the cost of a new battery apparently exceeds the value of my car. What are my options?
1. I don't believe in leasing. We really can't afford to buy a new car at this time. We've been saving money for a new battery, knowing that the time would eventually come when we'd have to do something. I'm inclined to talk with Nissan HQ, to see if I can get some financial relief in the cost of a new battery. I'd really like to do this, because my wife doesn't want to get a different car.
2. We could sell (practically give away) the Leaf, and also sell our hi-mileage 2006 Prius. Go down to one car, which would probably be a used Volt, newer low mileage Prius or some other hybrid, or an electric with at least 50-60 mi range.
What say ye?

Can you get a used car in the same condition as your Leaf for $6,500? Sounds like you have a cherry and since you put minimal miles on it, a new battery would give you another 7 years at least.

Thanks all for your input---I appreciate it.

I called Nissan HQ Customer service today. A super knowledgeable and courteous man named Jason took all my information. Jason requested that I have the battery checked by my dealer, so I have an appt with Mossy Nissan in Kearney Mesa (SAN) tomorrow morning to do that (at my cost). If the battery data verifies my statements regarding my driving habits, charging profile, etc., he says there's a possibility that I may receive a discount on a new battery, due to my low mileage and driving habits. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but am optimistic. We'll let you know how this all works out.
Just think--if I can afford to get a new and improved battery, this car could last me until I make my final trip to Heaven. :)

Rough history of bar loss for my 2013 SV.

I began using LeafSpy after first bar loss so no LeafSpy stats for that first loss. Unfortunately I don't know exactly when the first 3 bars were lost but can infer value ranges by correlating LeafSpy trip log data with random photos showing odometer & bars on my car dash - usually taken to scare-text my wife ("Look honey I'm in turtle mode!" type of silliness).

Code:
BarLost  AHr        SOH    Hx         L1/L2      QC       Odometer       
-------  ---------  -----  ---------  ---------  -------  -----------
1st      ?          ?      ?          ?          ?        29000-33700    
2nd      53.0-49.9  81-76  76.5-70.4  1934-2009  150-151  44000-45700
3rd      47.8-45.4  73-69  66.6-62.7  2280-2361  155      50800-52400   
4th      41.5       63     56.0       2646       158      58490

derkraut said:
If the battery data verifies my statements regarding my driving habits, charging profile, etc., he says there's a possibility that I may receive a discount on a new battery, due to my low mileage and driving habits. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but am optimistic. We'll let you know how this all works out.

It certainly never hurts to ask, but something I missed in your original post was the part about the vehicle not meeting your travel needs any more. You did say you would have to charge to 100% once a week to make the round trip to church, but if 80% charging is still meeting your needs the rest of the time, then do you really need to even worry about getting a replacement battery? If otherwise the car is in great shape, and you still love it, and you don't tax it, and it still meets your needs, why isn't just continuing to drive it (with or without the new battery) an option?

Well....really good news from Nissan Corporate. They have offered to provide a new battery @ 50% discount out the door, which I have gladly accepted. My total cost will probably be around $34-3500, including the onerous CA sales tax of 8 3/4%, which I have to pay on my own. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to make an appointment. Everyone I've dealt with was most courteous. The most important thing is---my lovely wife of 59+ years is very happy. Life is good. :)

derkraut said:
Well....really good news from Nissan Corporate. . . . . . The most important thing is---my lovely wife of 59+ years is very happy. Life is good. :)

Congratulation ! !
Yep, the most important thing is the wife is happy. :D

derkraut said:
Well....really good news from Nissan Corporate. They have offered to provide a new battery @ 50% discount out the door, which I have gladly accepted. My total cost will probably be around $34-3500, including the onerous CA sales tax of 8 3/4%, which I have to pay on my own. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to make an appointment. Everyone I've dealt with was most courteous. The most important thing is---my lovely wife of 59+ years is very happy. Life is good. :)

Am I correct in thinking you went from approval to replacement in 4 days? Well, that is good news. Hope you enjoy your pack. you now have a car that is literally better than new!

You are absolutely correct, Dave. I couldn't believe the fast---and super courteous--- service all across the board from Nissan Corp. to the dealer. I charged to 100% @ home the first night with the new battery; and you can see the results in my sig line. So now, I have a new car.
BTW, the total cost for me out the door was considerably less than the estimate---less than $3K.

derkraut said:
You are absolutely correct, Dave. I couldn't believe the fast---and super courteous--- service all across the board from Nissan Corp. to the dealer. I charged to 100% @ home the first night with the new battery; and you can see the results in my sig line. So now, I have a new car.
BTW, the total cost for me out the door was considerably less than the estimate---less than $3K.

That is AMAZING!

Great to hear the positive report on a negotiated discount on the battery.

I think my 2013 SL will be getting down to 8 bars a few months after the battery warranty has expired also.

Will Nissan look more negatively at my request for possible discount given I have not taken the vehicle for its annual battery "checkup" since 2015?

jdcbomb said: " Will Nissan look more negatively at my request for possible discount given I have not taken the vehicle for its annual battery "checkup" since 2015?"

FYI, I did not do traction battery checks after three years on mine either.
First, you have to be down to 8-bars on capacity. Then, I think the main thing Nissan looks at regarding partial assistance with battery replacement costs is your total mileage, number of quick charges, past battery temperatures, accident/maintenance history, and how long you have owned the car---are you the original owner? etc.
Anyway, that's what they told me. Above all, I think you need to be courteous and reasonable in addressing the issue with Nissan Corporate and the dealer.

derkraut said:

Was it less than $3K because they increased your discount % or because the cost to replace the battery is now under $6K (full list), or for some other reason? I suspect We'll be down four bars by Oct or Nov and I'm also looking at our options. A new $3K pack would be just the ticket.

derkraut said:
Looking at my paperwork, the amount I paid was 50% of the "parts" charges. So, they apparently did not charge me for labor.
Wow, that's great! Could you possibly PM me the number you called at Nissan HQ and who you spoke with. Thanks.

Back