Official Honda Clarity FCEV/BEV/PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
THe Clarity BEV actually outsold the Model 3 in July! Now there's a meaningless statistic for Honda to spin!
Even Honda seems to realize that the BEV Clarity is going nowhere, and their defense of its 89 mile range as enough seems to be pro forma.

Finally a BEV that I could drive with comfort without having to take a second mortgage. Sadly the 25kWh pack doesn't cut it for me, such a shame.

For anyone that cares about the BEV, via GCC:
Honda Clarity Electric in California and Oregon dealerships; $269/mo
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/08/20170805-clarity.html

The 2017 Honda Clarity Electric sedan arrived at the beginning of August in select dealerships in California and Oregon. With an introductory lease price of $269 (plus tax) a month for 36 months, the lease terms include an allowance of 20,000 miles per year and 24/7 roadside assistance. (Earlier post.)

The lease, which reflects a federal tax credit built in, requires $1,730 down plus the first month’s lease payment due at signing (not including tax, registration or official fees). In addition, if they apply, California and Oregon customers may qualify for their state’s rebates of $2,500 once they become available.

The Clarity Electric sedan is powered by a 120kW electric motor producing 221 lb-ft of torque and drawing power from a 25.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack. The vehicle can be fully charged in just over three hours at 240 volts and when using DC fast charging with the SAE Combined Charging System, it can achieve an 80% charge in 30 minutes. The Clarity Electric has an EPA fuel economy rating of 126/103/114 MPGe (city/highway/combined)3 and an EPA range rating of 89 miles on a full charge. . . .
Yesterday was noteworthy for sighting two Clarity FCEVs, and I wasn't even near the H2 station.

I don't think I saw this interview when it was originally published, but am linking it now because there's a lot of good discussion in it. In particular, IMO, Steve Center seems to have a pretty clear idea of how things are likely to develop over the next five years, and along with him, I think the PHEV has potential if Honda can keep the price down to no more than $35k (but preferably less):
Honda Clarity Q&A: Midsize Plug-In Hybrid From $35,000 (Or So)
http://insideevs.com/honda-clarity-midsize-42-mpg/

Add to the mix the next gen Honda Insight mule with Accord PHEV guts is testing in the Euro zone in a piecemeal Honda City

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.motor1.com/news/175502/honda-mysterious-test-mule-spied/amp/

Question: Does anyone know where the charge plug-in port is located on this car?

Anyways, I am surprised the Clarity PHEV isn't getting the attention it deserves.
It is a large and spacious vehicle, very comparable to the width of Tesla Model S and has a higher ground clearance which I prefer over the Model S lowered chassis. Assuming the trunk space isn't robbed by the size of the battery, this car is definitely a better choice over a small compact hatchback EV.

40 miles on electric alone is good enough for me, and I am just tired of the compact hatchback experience...

mxp said:
Question: Does anyone know where the charge plug-in port is located on this car?

Anyways, I am surprised the Clarity PHEV isn't getting the attention it deserves.
https://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/clarity-plug-in-hybrid shows it on the front drivers side fender.

I think I saw the first Clarity Electric for the first time in my life at the Cupertino EVent, pulling into a parking spot. Unfortunately, I couldn't step away to confirm it was the electric version as I was waiting for a Bolt test drive and I think a woman who seemed quite interested in the Bolt was talking to me and some DGDG dealer staff.

I've yet to see a BEV Clarity, and the 47 mile AER PHEV isn't on sale yet. Assuming Honda doesn't price it ridiculously high the way they did with the Accord PHEV, it should provide strong competition for the Volt, for those who want or need more room and don't mind the looks.

P.S. Last Thursday, during the occasional evening commute PEV count I do, I saw 3 Clarity FCEVs, and no Mirais. 5 Primes (and 10 PiPs) though, and the Volt 2 finally exceeded the total of Volt 1s. I don't have my tally handy, but it was something like 13 to 12, putting the Volt nameplate in 1st place that night. The LEAF came in first for a particular generation model, mainly because it's been around so long, with 24. I think the Model S was in 2nd place with about 17 or so. Only a couple Model X, but the e-Golf was well represented.

IEVS hasn't posted September Clarity FCEV sales yet. I found one site which claimed 31, but they also showed only 41 for August when IEVS had 56, so I don't know how accurate that is. If accurate, that would make 463 YTD. IEVS has 35 Clarity BEVs for September, so as expected their sales aren't going to set the world on fire. [Update]. IEVS now shows 14 Clarity FCEV leases in September, so that would make the YTD 446 rather than 463. Not sure why the big dropoff vs. the Mirai (184 in Sept.), as I still see far more Clarity FCEVs than Mirais around here.

Saw my first Clarity BEV in the wild last Thursday. I still have trouble conceiving of any rational reason why someone would want one, given the current or soon to be available alternatives.

IEVS hasn't posted any lease numbers for the Clarity BEV for October, and probably that's because GCR says that none were delivered. I assume none were shipped or in inventory, because the Mirai sold 249 last month so there's obviously a (small) market for FCEVs, and the Clarity FCEV's a better buy if you need more range or annual miles (or a 5th seat). Meanwhile, IEVS shows 34 Clarity BEVs sold last month, down from 52 in September, as that over-priced and under-ranged BEV continues to demonstrate its irrelevance.

Hi,
Just received an email for a Honda Clarity EV deal (Cali and Oregon only).
Its now $199 pm 36-month lease with $899 due at signing.
Total monthly payments $7164.
The $899 due at signing includes the 1st month pay ($199, and the $700 down payment)
Total miles is 20K miles for the lease.
Includes Honda Roadside Assistance.

It feels like a very solid deal, given that the Clarity has more trunk space, seems roomier and feels more "luxe" than the Leaf. Not sure how it compares feature-wise to the new 2018 Leaf (like the self driving tech features)....

What do you guys think?

mxp said:
Hi,
The $899 due at signing includes the 1st month pay ($199, and the $700 down payment)

It feels like a very solid deal, given that the Clarity has more trunk space, seems roomier and feels more "luxe" than the Leaf. Not sure how it compares feature-wise to the new 2018 Leaf (like the self driving tech features)....

What do you guys think?

I'd jump on it had it 20 mile more range. My wife is using our Leaf mostly these days and her commute is 70 freeway miles round trip with some hills and while I could do this trip on a single charge she charges at work as she gets nervous when she gets near LBW and totally freaks out when below it. This costs us additional $50-60/month, so considering the CA rebate it would be a good deal had it a tad more range. Alas, I don't want to spend $220/mo more on a lease and also pay for charging. If Clarity's range is sufficient for your needs it sounds like a solid offer. I doubt 2018 Leaf leases will be very attractive initially.

mxp said:
Hi,

What do you guys think?
What are your range requirements and climate? The Clarity's biggest problems are its 1st gen BEV range and high MSRP, but that lease deal looks pretty decent if it meets your needs. Still, unless your range needs are well within its EPA range, you'll be dealing with all the range anxiety that 24kWh LEAF and other small battery 1st gen. BEV owners did. Given the availability of longer-ranged options with comparable or lower prices, I'd lean towards one of them if you can find a good lease deal. But it really comes down to your priorities and needs.

The deal is very tempting, but I'd agree with Valdemar that if it had an extra 20 miles of real world use, it would be a great vehicle to get into.

Also, if I understood AB544 correctly, buying the vehicle this year will not help you get the HOV sticker out to Jan 1, 2022. Correct?
Perhaps, that is why the deal is out there... to get some sales before 2018 rolls around.

Existing 2011 Leafs still have HOV access until Jan 1, 2019 ; so I guess we still have one full year to decide what we want to do with our old Leafs.

GRA said:
mxp said:
Hi,

What do you guys think?
What are your range requirements and climate? The Clarity's biggest problems are its 1st gen BEV range and high MSRP, but that lease deal looks pretty decent if it meets your needs. Still, unless your range needs are well within its EPA range, you'll be dealing with all the range anxiety that 24kWh LEAF and other small battery 1st gen. BEV owners did. Given the availability of longer-ranged options with comparable or lower prices, I'd lean towards one of them if you can find a good lease deal. But it really comes down to your priorities and needs.

Back