Replaced Battery. Lost 1 AHr + 72% SOH in a week and 2 charges

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorge

Hey MNL!

I got my 2011 battery replaced last week. I got it back with 66.14 AHr. I checked on LSP today and saw that I'm down to 65.14 AHr and shows 72% SOH.

Is that normal? SOH is the same as before I got my battery replaced. Losing 1 AHr in a week, 72% SOH, I've had 2 charges (both on level 2. One to 80% and the other to 100%), weather has been in the low 70s all week.

Is this normal for a lizard battery?

66.14 AHr is default value provided from LBC (lithium battery controller) on 2011 and 2012 Leaf until it learns actual capacity of new battery. Leaf Spy numbers dropped on my 2011 by the time I drove 10 miles home from the dealer.

It takes the BMS some time to learn the health and capacity of the battery pack. A few full cycles, down to 20% and then a full charge, should help with the process. I would also suggest a few full charges to balance the cells. Just don't let it sit at 100% for extended periods of time.

I've seen 2 distinct differences in behavior with my replacement (lizard) battery pack:
1) The (now) well-known 66.14 AHr reading for the first several months (as mentioned earlier).
2) A steady decrease in capacity for the next few months...until it simply stopped.

Even with the heat, I've been 'stuck' around 57 AHr (and 12 bars) for a while now; it will be interesting to see how long that holds up, as I have yet to reach the point where even my first battery pack dropped a capacity bar.

Stanton said:
I've seen 2 distinct differences in behavior with my replacement (lizard) battery pack:
1) The (now) well-known 66.14 AHr reading for the first several months (as mentioned earlier).
2) A steady decrease in capacity for the next few months...until it simply stopped.

Even with the heat, I've been 'stuck' around 57 AHr (and 12 bars) for a while now; it will be interesting to see how long that holds up, as I have yet to reach the point where even my first battery pack dropped a capacity bar.

Have you seen your mileage change?

Gorge said:
Stanton said:

Have you seen your mileage change?

Of course...but not lately (if that's what you mean).

So it's been 6 weeks since I replaced the battery. I drive it regularly (900 miles since then). I charge it to 80% with Level 1 or 2 every other day or so. I occasionally charge it to 100% (probably about once a week or so). I've had it go down to 1-2 bars a few times too. My SOH is still at 72%. AHr has dropped a bit, but like everyone else said, it could be calibrating, but I still don't know why my SOH hasn't moved.

63.54 AHr
72% SOH
+900 miles since Battery Swap.

That's odd. I has my 2012 SL battery replaced in October 2016 and when I dropped it off it was 62% SOH and when I picked it up it was at 100% SOH. Now about 5500 miles later it's still at 100%. Don't understand why you didn't bump up as soon as it was replaced.

John

You could take it to the dealer and have them do a BMS reset. Of course, all that really matters is the GIDs and the range you get, so you could ignore the oddball SOH counter. It would bug me a bit, but I'd live with it if the dealer wanted to charge $ to fix the problem. Doubt they'll cover that under warranty.

I'm just speculating...but the Ahr and SOH measurements suggest his battery was replaced...with something less than a new battery.
We all know that lizard batteries are "pegged" to 66 AHr with a high-90's SOH for several months after replacement.

Except, I've.never heard of anyone with an AHr over 65 with such a low SOH. Doesn't make any sense...

I wonder how many GIDs it reports when fully charged.

what is the Hx reading? What is the GID reading after full charge? I am suspicious that low SOH might be caused by slightly higher than normal resistance of connections between cells. Since Hx seems to be inversely related to internal resistance, a low Hx number would indicate higher than normal internal resistance.

Could it be a degraded 30 kWh battery...?
30 kWh x 72% = 21.6 kWh.

Wild guess

LeftieBiker said:
Are you 100% sure that the dealership actually replaced the battery? Did you see any part of the process?

I did not see any of the install portion, but I'm getting significantly more range and higher AHr. My SOH has been stuck at 72% since I bought the car used.

GerryAZ said:
what is the Hx reading? What is the GID reading after full charge? I am suspicious that low SOH might be caused by slightly higher than normal resistance of connections between cells. Since Hx seems to be inversely related to internal resistance, a low Hx number would indicate higher than normal internal resistance.

I'll charge the car to 100% tonight and get back to everyone.

Charged it up to 100% and checked LSP today.

AHr: 62.95
SOH: 98%
Hx: 92.13%
GID: 284

Looks like my SOH finally reset after 2 months and 1,000 miles of driving.

If the Leaf's SOH was actually that low (72%), then its range would have been much less than normal and you would have mentioned that. Not at all surprising it was a software glitch. Glad that worked out for you :)

alozzy said:
If the Leaf's SOH was actually that low (72%), then its range would have been much less than normal and you would have mentioned that. Not at all surprising it was a software glitch. Glad that worked out for you :)

Yah. Who knows. My SOH was 72% from the day I bought it used and even after I dropped my 3rd and 4th bars. Odd.

Back