How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just lost my 4th bar. Leafspy was reading 66% SOH for over a week before i lost the bar. From 68 to 66 percent was fast and im not sure why.. i figured this would happen in about 6 momths from now at the fastest.... I will call nissan tomorrow to see what they say for out of warranty assistance. (56k miles but 5.5 ish years old.... 2012 leaf SL. Check out my youtube channel for the video review . Channel name is 'try to help you'

Just lost my 4th bar on my 2012 w/ 18467 miles. SOH=65% AHr=42.71. My in service date pushes my warranty date back into 2018. Can I keep driving around another six months and I'm good so long as I report to the dealer before my warranty date is hit?

A few people have done that, I think. If it were me I might check with the dealer and ask if you can get the warranty verified but defer the repair date - you should be able to schedule the work at a time of your choosing within reason, I'd think.

(Aside: Do you know what your Hx reading was when the bar went?)

sandeen said:
A few people have done that, I think. If it were me I might check with the dealer and ask if you can get the warranty verified but defer the repair date - you should be able to schedule the work at a time of your choosing within reason, I'd think.

(Aside: Do you know what your Hx reading was when the bar went?)

Hx was 58.44%

Thanks for the advice I'll reach out to the dealer.

brian0123 said:
Hx was 58.44%

It'll be interesting to see what they say - most people I've read here have just driven it w/o going to the dealer, but man, you don't want to forget! The "schedule it out w/ the dealer" was just a random thought, tbh.

The way I'm trending I'll make it just in time if at all, so I won't have to navigate this part.

BTW that seems really high for Hx, most 2011/2012's seem to drop around 45 or lower. 2013s are higher... I wonder if you had a newer battery in that 2012 or something?

sandeen said:
brian0123 said:
Hx was 58.44%

It'll be interesting to see what they say - most people I've read here have just driven it w/o going to the dealer, but man, you don't want to forget! The "schedule it out w/ the dealer" was just a random thought, tbh.

The way I'm trending I'll make it just in time if at all, so I won't have to navigate this part.

BTW that seems really high for Hx, most 2011/2012's seem to drop around 45 or lower. 2013s are higher... I wonder if you had a newer battery in that 2012 or something?

Original battery. My in service date wasn't until March 2018 so it sat in a lot in Louisiana for a year. I have paperwork from Nissan from my battery check stating my capacity warranty exp date in 2018. What exactly is the Hx again? I live in Houston so my car gets a lot of heat.

brian0123 said:
Original battery. My in service date wasn't until March 2018 so it sat in a lot in Louisiana for a year. I have paperwork from Nissan from my battery check stating my capacity warranty exp date in 2018. What exactly is the Hx again? I live in Houston so my car gets a lot of heat.

LeafSpy says "Hx (% of new battery conductance)" and "The meaning of this number is not fully understood but it appears to be inversely related to the battery internal resistance. As the internal resistance of the battery pack increases it is thought this percentage decreases."

(Incidentally, it seems to vary perfectly linearly with Ahr, based on my experience)

I didn't mean that you'd already had it replaced, I was just speculating that perhaps your car was later in the 2012 model year, and might have received a pack similar to the 2013s, which seem to show higher Hx values. I've seen a couple other 2012s like that, for example this one: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19967&start=350#p470679

sandeen said:
brian0123 said:

LeafSpy says "Hx (% of new battery conductance)" and "The meaning of this number is not fully understood but it appears to be inversely related to the battery internal resistance. As the internal resistance of the battery pack increases it is thought this percentage decreases."

(Incidentally, it seems to vary perfectly linearly with Ahr, based on my experience)

I didn't mean that you'd already had it replaced, I was just speculating that perhaps your car was later in the 2012 model year, and might have received a pack similar to the 2013s, which seem to show higher Hx values. I've seen a couple other 2012s like that, for example this one: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19967&start=350#p470679

Very interesting. I'm also curious what a replacement pack for mine will also be especially if I'm able to wait many more months before a swap. I'd imagine Nissan doesn't have a lot remaining and I'd probably be one of the last replacements. Refurbished? Lizard? Something newer?

Never had my guess o meter go above 90. But after my replacement. I'm showing at best, 106.
I've been able to exceed 106 per charge several times while using the eco mode and cautious driving, and the AC on!

Got my replacement battery in. Only took 2 weeks to arrive at dealer and 2 day to install.(they forgot to order a part)
It is awesome! Leaf spy showing 66.36Ahr and overall just a relief to have more range. I can actually limit the charge to 80% and still have more range than before the replacement. I could have waited until March for the replacement but with winter coming the range anxiety from my wife would have been bad for my marriage.

I went out and checked my Leaf again today. I think the 4th bar should have dropped by now, but it is still holding on.

The vehicle was manufactured in January 2013, spent it first two years in Georgia, was auctioned after lease return and brought to Las Vegas. I got it in March 2015. It dropped the first bar in October 2015, the second bar in June 2016, and the third bar in November 2016.

Aug 12, 2017 - AHr=39.25, SOH=60%, Hx=53.34%, odo=25,451 miles, QC=4 L1/L2=2119

Interesting that mine dropped the 4th bar at such differing conditions:
AHr = 42.73, HX=43.99% => significantly higher AHrs and lower HX. Had not noticed that in previous postings, but admittedly have not actually looked for it. The reason I noticed was that your Leaf shows such low AHrs and still not dropped!

Pre P3227 update '11-12 cars and '13+ cars have much higher Hx readings than '11-12 P3227 updated cars, so you can't quite compare them.

baustin said:
I went out and checked my Leaf again today. I think the 4th bar should have dropped by now, but it is still holding on.

The vehicle was manufactured in January 2013, spent it first two years in Georgia, was auctioned after lease return and brought to Las Vegas. I got it in March 2015. It dropped the first bar in October 2015, the second bar in June 2016, and the third bar in November 2016.

Aug 12, 2017 - AHr=39.25, SOH=60%, Hx=53.34%, odo=25,451 miles, QC=4 L1/L2=2119

That's what worries me for mine - we have lots of data about when people did lose the 9th bar, but not a lot of data for those with 9 bars still holding on. I wonder how many low Ahr batteries still have 9 bars ...

I've been able to find about 8 reports of 2013s dropping the 9th bar; the average was 41.55 Ahr and the min was 40.05Ahr. I bet yours goes soon, though...

I guess we are coming to a close on the 2011-2012 battery replacement relevance, but thought I would add my info.

2012 Leaf
Battery Replacement Deadline 28 May 2017

I dropped the 4th bar on 18 July 2017. :roll:
AHr 43.408
SOH 66
Hx 45.09
ODO 28678

I took it immediately to my service manager. He called be back confirming the battery tested as "under", and would have been eligible for replacement prior to 28 May 2017. He gave me the number to call and open a case with Nissan for consideration. I did so. 8 days later I was approved at 100%. My battery is on order with a 6-8 week estimate. :cool:

A couple factors that I know came into play as they were questions my service manager or I had to respond to.

Multi Nissan customer. -We have a Juke.
Good Service customer. -I have spent the last year letting them service/replace everything needed on the Juke and Leaf. Even things I would normally do myself or source elsewhere for a discount. (New battery, Oil changes, New tires, Etc.) I also paid for the 3g Upgrade to the Leaf as soon as it was available.

I was also asked if I bought new or used. -Used
And how many miles it had when I bought it. -22K

I have to think that the low mileage weighed heavily on the decision.

For those with a burning interest in all the data LeafSpy has to offer, I uploaded the log for the day of 4th bar drop. I am 99% certain that when I parked the car at 12:47 PM it had 9 bars, and when I got in at 4:53 it had 8 and I basically drove across the street to my Nissan Service center. There is a 1% chance I did not notice the drop at the noon drive, but I had been watching it like a hawk on every power up so I doubt it. You will have to download the file and widen the cell for Date/Time to see that data. CSV format issue.

For what it is worth.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/he8xr6t3x1271sp/Log_CT021278_170718_36D54_clean.csv?dl=0

Good luck to all those still waiting to see that bar drop in time, and to those that "missed it by that much".

murduc2 said:
Good luck to all those still waiting to see that bar drop in time, and to those that "missed it by that much".

Thanks for sharing all that! 43.4 Ahr is actually one of the higher reported values at 4th bar drop I've seen. Congrats on getting Nissan to accommodate!

I just posted this in the CAN bus section...

Mine just dropped today.. 2012/ no CHAdeMO/36,300 miles on the dot.. LeafSpy Pro tells you all the goods..

I'll called Nissan today and they said I have until Sept 14th! So just made it! :shock:

They opened and created a case for me..

once it hit below 42ah... it dropped pretty damn fast!

1160e639a6fb016766ea7e93572ce317.png

9d2ee045dcba21a1ca5d946a0cc38977.jpg

Mine dropped on May 31st. I wanted to wait until the end of the summer before getting replacement so drove it for over two months with 8 bars. I dropped it off at the Dealership last week. Approved. (Multiple Nissan owner, purchased Leaf 2 years ago with 36K miles)

No other data available. I joined forum due to 4th bar loss.

Back