Any other 6 year owners out there?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
April of 2011 in Phx AZ ........58000 miles ....2nd battery has loss 4 bars .....Main battery and headlight replaced .....I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....
LOL in how wrong they were ...

mark1313 said:
April of 2011 in Phx AZ ........58000 miles ....2nd battery has loss 4 bars .....Main battery and headlight replaced .....I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....

Sucks you just missed a 2nd warranty replacement!

mark1313 said:
I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....
Do you have a pointer to that video? I've seen other Nissan videos with claims that turned out to be untrue but not those specific numbers (e.g. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=469608#p469608).

cwerdna said:
mark1313 said:
I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....
Do you have a pointer to that video? I've seen other Nissan videos with claims that turned out to be untrue but not those specific numbers (e.g. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=469608#p469608).

I only remember the "10% after 5 years, 20% after 8 years" or something along those lines. The reality is miles never were a good barometer since there is easy miles, stop and go miles and "drive like a nut" miles....

We're considering either selling or paying for a new battery pack in our 2011 blue Leaf, 26,000 miles, 10 bars left but we have to make a regular longish trip that the Leaf can't quite do any more. I saw one post from a San Diego owner saying he paid about $1200 for a new battery pack. Anyone have other examples of the cost? We're in San Francisco. We love our Leaf, so might go that route.

I've got another little niggle with my car now - just the last week my passenger seat has developed a squeak. Probably the seat springs, since I can make it happen by wiggling my tush. All the more noticeable in an otherwise quiet car.

Randy said:
Took delivery of VIN #191 in January 2011. Still have it and drive it every day...Almost 50K miles...Have 8 bars of capacity (lost 4 bars)...

Useful range is about 35 miles on freeway, slightly more on city streets...

I've been very happy with the car, except for the battery...

May 16 Edit: Even though I'm way out of the battery capacity warranty, I called Nissan to see if they would offer assistance on a battery replacement. I had a battery test done at the local dealer, and Nissan offered me an 80% / 20% replacement deal, so I had my battery replaced recently for about $1,230...Happy camper....Guess-o-meter now reaches over 100 with full charge and some down-hill....I smile even though I know I can't go quite that far...And getting the regen function back is very nice as well...Thanks, Nissan....

Haven't been on the forum in awhile, but we passed 6 years in April and now have 71,095 miles on the car, using it daily and enjoying the renewed range since getting the same 80/20 deal on a new battery as Randy 10,000 miles ago. We would have bought a new Bolt by now if Nissan had not helped us out with the battery replacement cost. As it is, the car got a new lease on life for $1200, and it seems to be a better battery than the original as far as degradation goes so far. The guessometer shows 120 miles regularly on a full charge still. We can now wait several years to see what the new generation of EVs brings. We won't settle for less than 200 mile range, though, so I'm disappointed that the new Leaf coming for 2018 is only a 40KWH pack. What's up with that?

I'm on the list for a new Mission E at the local Porsche dealer (depending on what the final MSRP is). Can't wait to see that car on the road and be able to test drive it.

TT

ttweed said:
Randy said:
Took delivery of VIN #191 in January 2011. Still have it and drive it every day...Almost 50K miles...Have 8 bars of capacity (lost 4 bars)...

Useful range is about 35 miles on freeway, slightly more on city streets...

I've been very happy with the car, except for the battery...

May 16 Edit: Even though I'm way out of the battery capacity warranty, I called Nissan to see if they would offer assistance on a battery replacement. I had a battery test done at the local dealer, and Nissan offered me an 80% / 20% replacement deal, so I had my battery replaced recently for about $1,230...Happy camper....Guess-o-meter now reaches over 100 with full charge and some down-hill....I smile even though I know I can't go quite that far...And getting the regen function back is very nice as well...Thanks, Nissan....

Haven't been on the forum in awhile, but we passed 6 years in April and now have 71,095 miles on the car, using it daily and enjoying the renewed range since getting the same 80/20 deal on a new battery as Randy 10,000 miles ago. We would have bought a new Bolt by now if Nissan had not helped us out with the battery replacement cost. As it is, the car got a new lease on life for $1200, and it seems to be a better battery than the original as far as degradation goes so far. The guessometer shows 120 miles regularly on a full charge still. We can now wait several years to see what the new generation of EVs brings. We won't settle for less than 200 mile range, though, so I'm disappointed that the new Leaf coming for 2018 is only a 40KWH pack. What's up with that?

I'm on the list for a new Mission E at the local Porsche dealer (depending on what the final MSRP is). Can't wait to see that car on the road and be able to test drive it.

TT

Would you mind sharing your experience with Nissan getting them to agree to the 80/20 deal? My 2011 is showing 8 bars just barely out of warranty.

glad to see some of us early adopters able to stick with it. 6 yrs, 2 mo in San Diego. Lizard appears to be outperforming the original battery & no significant out of pocket expenses so far on any repairs. fingers crossed. Looking forward to the M3!

It's been a while since I posted. I took delivery in August 2011. I knew when I bought this car that I would be the first and the last owner! For the first three years my wife drove it 60 miles daily down to San Jose and back, taking advantage of the diamond lane on 101. The car sat under scorching sun down in San Jose during working days. The wife changed job, moved on to a BMW 4 series and the leaf has continued to serve the family. My daughter drives it around town now. It may have terrible resale but I am not thinking about selling it. It will serve us for a long time to come. It would be great to get a new battery. Glad to see some folks are getting assistance. Will try the Nissan # to see if I can take advantage of it too.

Battery loss history:
1st bar at 33k miles in November 2013
2nd bar at 47k miles in December 2014
3rd bar at 54k miles in May 2016

Back in January, I was around 45.5 AHr. Expecting it to drop the 4th bar any time now.

Cinnabar said:
I passed my 6 year anniversary on May 3rd. I have about 71k miles and am down 5 bars. I plan to contact Nissan this week to see how much I can get them to pitch in on a new battery. The current range is extremely limiting in the use of the car, but I still drive it every time the math works.

Did you contact Nissan? Any luck on a discounted replacement battery?

Today is a full 6 years for me, 40,067 mi, 46.44 Ah, 70% SOH, 50.02 Hx, at 42.8% SOC this morning. I have 9 bars and extrapolated estimate for the 4th bar dropping in Oct 2018, perhaps April 2019 (since there's no measurable degradation from Nov 1 - April 1). No maintenance except new tires, wiper blades, and wiper fluid. Interior is still nearly perfect, paint's a bit dirty, but still in great shape except for that small scrape in it. I typically keep the battery around 40-50% SOC, hoping to improve longevity. While in the PNW, I'm actually in the hottest part, typically 30 day over 100 F each summer. I park in the garage all winter, but outside at night in the summer, again hoping to improve cooling. For all of my extra work, I've extended the battery just slightly, enough to miss the 5 yr, 60,000 mi warranty. :cry: However, the car still meets all of my in-town needs and we still don't have a realistic, 50 mi connection to the WA-OR Electric Highway system that dominates that very slim slice (~10% of the area) along the I-5 corridor. I am hopeful that 2018-19 brings a chance to receive a new battery for less that $2000, otherwise the battery might cost more than the value of the car. In any case, I'll still drive it as long as it has 20 mi range, though I will be disappointed in being required to pay $150/yr for the EV road tax.

ENIAC said:
Cinnabar said:
I passed my 6 year anniversary on May 3rd. I have about 71k miles and am down 5 bars. I plan to contact Nissan this week to see how much I can get them to pitch in on a new battery. The current range is extremely limiting in the use of the car, but I still drive it every time the math works.

Yes, my car is in the shop getting it's battery replaced. Nissan is picking up 80% of the cost so I was told my out of pocket will be around $1400.

ENIAC said:
Cinnabar said:

My LEAF is back at 12 bars. The cost to me was $1617.08 on an 80/20 cost share with Nissan.

Ours is now 6 years and 4 months, 79,000 miles 68% SOH, AHr 44.6.
Replaced original 12V battery, 1 new set of tires, front wiper blades and air filter(every 2 years).
Will look into getting the 80/20 deal if Nissan is receptive.

Not quite up to six years yet but close. Will get there Dec-2017.
About 45K miles, 75% Hx. Lost two capacity bars.

It's been my daily driver since I bought it and I still love it. :)

Cheers, Bert

I was one of the first orders from PA; I took delivery in Feb 2012, so I'm coming up on 6 years. 75K miles, down 4 bars on battery capacity. The loss in range has been made up by huge improvements in the charging network. However, I'm currently deciding whether to have the traction pack replaced before the cold weather this year, or weather to try to make it through this winter and replace the pack before the cold weather next year... Other than battery degradation, the car is doing fine.

Back