New MY18 Leaf Lease Extension program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
They also fixed their call center script about repaying the 3 free months if you don't buy. As in the contract language below, as long as you cancel within 6 months of the new expiration, there's no repayment. For me, that would be before September, so I'm safe there.

The paperwork says more than 6 months prior to maturity.

However, since it's a 9 month lease... that means you can cancel only after 3 months without penalty. And I believe that the free months are on the front end.

Thoughts?

Just a heads up: I sent in my extension paperwork almost a month ago, with my lease payment mailed at the same time, in the same mailbox. The payment was processed, but NMAC claims that the lease extension never arrived. They had called me 5 days after I mailed it, and when they didn't call again I assumed they'd gotten it. Nope. I had to resend it this week - this time via Certified Mail. I suggest others use Certified Mail.

LeftieBiker said:
Just a heads up: I sent in my extension paperwork almost a month ago, with my lease payment mailed at the same time, in the same mailbox. The payment was processed, but NMAC claims that the lease extension never arrived. They had called me 5 days after I mailed it, and when they didn't call again I assumed they'd gotten it. Nope. I had to resend it this week - this time via Certified Mail. I suggest others use Certified Mail.

Did that lease paperwork ever go through? I really can't decide what to do right now. Was planning to hand back the Leaf next month and pick up a Model S, but we may be moving out of state soon and I really don't want to add a big loan on a Tesla to my situation if I need to buy a new house in the next couple of months. I can extend my $400/month payment by 6 months, get 3 months free and then that gives me some wiggle room to figure things out. Maybe my Model 3 reservation will be up by then. I have no intention of buying the new LEAF, but it doesn't look like that has any effect on the lease extension.

Mine went through easy and fast. Now payment free until 9/13, and will know by then if the gen 2 was worth waiting for. If not, off to the Bolt and thanks for the 3 free months.

We just had to mail the paperwork for the THIRD time. I had scanned and emailed copies of it, as requested by them last week. They got it (but didn't let me know despite my repeated emails) but decided that since the white areas at the top and bottom of each page were cut off (new scanners built into printers don't handle legal size documents any more) that it wasn't acceptable. So the third set just went into the mail, via certified mail, and I'm still worrying that I may have to turn in my car soon, after having spent extra money on cabin filter and brake flush services. What a DELIGHTFUL experience.

The USPS finally delivered my second set of lease extension paperwork this morning. Unless NMAC decides to lose it, I should be safe, now... If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, make sure that the lease payment for the current month has been made. The site showed me owing next month's as well, so I paid both, figuring I'd at least get until August to find a Bolt. Hopefully now I'll have until next June.

You might want to sent it overnight mail for $26. Certified Mail is crap.

Just called this afternoon to get my paperwork (maturity date 7/3/17). I should not have dragged my feet this long on this. Person on the phone said there is 10 day grace period, so as long as I make my next payment and they get the paperwork by 7/13 I should be OK.

We'll see...

My lease was to mature June 27th, 2017.

May 25th, 2017. I sent in my paperwork for the lease extension with certified USPS mail.
June 1, 2017. They received the paperwork and updated my account and gave me a credit equivalent of 3 months.
Sept 27, 2017. My account says that's when the next pmt is due.
March 27, 2018. The extended lease maturity date.

I know I can turn in my Leaf as early as Jan 27, 2018 and get keep the credit without any fees.

All of these factors give me plenty of wiggle room. I think the Tesla Model 3 will be in my hands by Q1 of 2018. I put my $1,000 payment to reserve it on day 1 the preorders were possible. I'm in the low 100,000s queue, but live in Atlanta.

Also, it'll give me time to see if the new Leaf that will be unveiled in September will be good enough to tempt me away from the Model 3!

Newbie here. Jointed because I just got the paperwork for the lease extension. My lease ends at the end of the year, so this is almost too good of a deal to be true -- 3 extra months for free (well, taxes excepted).

So, what are the downsides? Here's my analysis?

* No obligation to buy or lease a new Leaf
* Early termination penalty ceases in September (6 months from end of Mar 2018), and we're almost there.
* Prorated miles
* Residual continues to decrease (just called and verified)

Only true downsides I can think of:

* You have to register your car one more year (significant in CA) for 3 months of use
* Extra wear and tear could force a higher end of lease charge (maybe those tires would have passed, but the extra 3 months of driving forces you to buy new tires).

Anyone have other downsides to this offer?

kurisleaf said:
Newbie here. Jointed because I just got the paperwork for the lease extension. My lease ends at the end of the year, so this is almost too good of a deal to be true -- 3 extra months for free (well, taxes excepted).

So, what are the downsides? Here's my analysis?

* No obligation to buy or lease a new Leaf
* Early termination penalty ceases in September (6 months from end of Mar 2018), and we're almost there.
* Prorated miles
* Residual continues to decrease (just called and verified)

Only true downsides I can think of:

* You have to register your car one more year (significant in CA) for 3 months of use
* Extra wear and tear could force a higher end of lease charge (maybe those tires would have passed, but the extra 3 months of driving forces you to buy new tires).

Anyone have other downsides to this offer?

Off-warranty repairs?

Off-warranty repairs? How is that possible? I thought if they offered a lease extension, the warranty is extended as well. Would appreciate quick thoughts as I have to make a decision in a couple of days. Thanks

noanalyst said:
Off-warranty repairs? How is that possible? I thought if they offered a lease extension, the warranty is extended as well. Would appreciate quick thoughts as I have to make a decision in a couple of days. Thanks

The warranty is NOT extended with the lease. The lease and the warranty are two separate agreements. Some of us bought extended warranties from Jim Bone Nissan (?) but mine has expired. All you'll have is the 5 year powertrain warranty.

Really!! What is the point of extending my lease if you will not extend the warranty. The whole point of a lease is not to deal with any car repairs.

Thanks for this information. Will go to the dealer tomorrow. If I can't extend the warranty in some way, will just pass.

You want the Nissan "Preferred Plus Gold" plan, or something like that. If your factory warranty is expired you have to get the more expensive plan for used cars. Prices are all over the place on these plans. I paid roughly $500, but expect to pay more.

Why extend my lease with no warranty extension? $159 a month for an SV with Premium and 12 bars (barely).

Ok. Will go in tomorrow or Tuesday and find out how much it will cost to extend the warranty. I know the lease extension is a good deal but I can't afford any out of warranty car repairs.

I understand completely. You can buy the plan from any Nissan dealer, so get multiple quotes if your local dealer is very high. Just make sure you get a plan that covers the A/C, infotainment system, and brakes.

Back