Possible convenient emergency charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aslangroudi

Just for curiousity, how much charge(if any) can be received on a nissan leaf from this portable charger?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RAV...rd_wg=5xm84&psc=1&refRID=FWCYFJE0YESCXTATT8CK

Was wondering if it was possible to buy/use this as an emergency charger if I ran out by accident and needed just a block or two or ideally a mile to find/get home for an outlet. If it worked, it would also reduce anxiety of pushing the closer to empty battery because right now even at around 8 miles left the -- started blinking and it was hard to judge how many miles I really had left.

None.

When I've run my Leaf all the way to shutdown, it's taken 3-4 hours of charging on the trickle charger before it would agree to restart, just to go an additional 200 feet to a charger. It probably had enough energy to make that trip after 10 minutes of charging, but the car will refuse to start back up until you've put a decent charge back in the battery.

This little thing isn't going to do anything for you.

That devices has a 65watt max draw, your leaf on trickle will pull 1,200 watts. That would be great for phones and small laptops but would do nothing for your car. Even an expensive sine wave inverter and a big 12 volt battery won't do much more then a few minutes of charging. Maybe an hour, but that would be the only portable solution to get your car a couple blocks.

Your best bet for avoiding running out of charge is to treat the second Low Battery Warning (at roughly 9 miles of range left) as something to be avoided at almost all cost. Then if you fail and reach that point, you still have a few miles of careful driving as your 'emergency charge'.

aslangroudi said:
because right now even at around 8 miles left the -- started blinking and it was hard to judge how many miles I really had left.
Read the Ahr remaining from your LeafSpy

I do have leafspy pro but I'm pretty new to it and my leaf. How would I go about judging how many miles I have left with AHr? Also...please forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question, but I would then have to always keep that bluetooth diagnostic tool plugged into car?

aslangroudi said:
I do have leafspy pro but I'm pretty new to it and my leaf. How would I go about judging how many miles I have left with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgE8lmySdMI may help. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, listen from to 3:20 to 5:00,1:14 to ~1:35 and 10:25 to the end.

Back