Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys have turo.com? It's banned in NY State unfortunately, but in other states you can rent all sorts of vehicles, including tons of teslas at prices I found surprisingly low considering the cost of the vehicles. Like I saw one guy renting that electric BMW super car thingy (cant' remember its name) for I think just shy of $1000/day.

I think you might mean the BMW i8? It's a pretty sweet looking car, but it's a PHEV unfortunately.

I would love to rent a Bolt for a weekend. It would give me a real taste of living with a long-range EV on a regional trip (~250 miles each way).

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Chevy replacing bad packs:

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-battery-failure/

Good idea.

Brilliant!

And I think your implication is with regards to how Nissan treated their customers... I will point out that Chevy is facing actual failures whereas Nissan hasn't had many of those (that I have heard about). Just longevity issues.

I have to share...

So, we took the kids to Disney World last week and went on "Test Track" at Epcot and we got to the end and I was happy to see they had a Bolt there for people to sit in and look at since there are none anywhere near us up here in Wisconsin. I asked my wife, to look at it becasue it had a lot more range then our Leaf. I had the kids get in the back, they immediately commented how much smaller it was than the Leaf (in the back) and they said that three of them wouldn't fit (they would). Then my wife got out and the first thing she said was that the drivers seat was TINY, she asked me if it could be adjusted somehow because in the 3 minutes she sat in it, it really bothered her. So I told her all had heard about it and then I sat in it, maybe it was becasue I was expecting it, but it didn't seem as bad to me, but that was enough for my wife to say no way. I told her I had heard of aftermarket ways to "fix" it but she said that was stupid and why would they make them like that in the first place.

I wanted to see the charge port and under the hood but of course I couldn't open it, the button didn't work and I didn't mess with figuring out if there was a manual way to open it. The car seemed smaller than I had thought it would be, not sure why, otherwise it seemed (for better or worse) like a Chevy.

GetOffYourGas said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Chevy replacing bad packs:

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-battery-failure/

Good idea.

Brilliant!

And I think your implication is with regards to how Nissan treated their customers... I will point out that Chevy is facing actual failures whereas Nissan hasn't had many of those (that I have heard about). Just longevity issues.

You're implying that I was being implicit? Not at all. Meant what I said. Good idea.

BrockWI said:
I have to share...

So, we took the kids to Disney World last week and went on "Test Track" at Epcot and we got to the end and I was happy to see they had a Bolt there for people to sit in and look at since there are none anywhere near us up here in Wisconsin. I asked my wife, to look at it becasue it had a lot more range then our Leaf. I had the kids get in the back, they immediately commented how much smaller it was than the Leaf (in the back) and they said that three of them wouldn't fit (they would). Then my wife got out and the first thing she said was that the drivers seat was TINY, she asked me if it could be adjusted somehow because in the 3 minutes she sat in it, it really bothered her. So I told her all had heard about it and then I sat in it, maybe it was becasue I was expecting it, but it didn't seem as bad to me, but that was enough for my wife to say no way. I told her I had heard of aftermarket ways to "fix" it but she said that was stupid and why would they make them like that in the first place.

I wanted to see the charge port and under the hood but of course I couldn't open it, the button didn't work and I didn't mess with figuring out if there was a manual way to open it. The car seemed smaller than I had thought it would be, not sure why, otherwise it seemed (for better or worse) like a Chevy.
I sat in the same one at Disney and thought it was too small as well. Not for me, although I appreciate what they are trying to do. Hope you had a great time at Disney! Such a great place, I try to go at least every few years.

BrockWI said:
The car seemed smaller than I had thought it would be, not sure why, otherwise it seemed (for better or worse) like a Chevy.
I blame it on all those "small on the outside, big on the inside" reviews. Its small on the outside, small on the inside. There is no magical way to make something feel bigger.

evnow said:
BrockWI said:
The car seemed smaller than I had thought it would be, not sure why, otherwise it seemed (for better or worse) like a Chevy.
I blame it on all those "small on the outside, big on the inside" reviews. Its small on the outside, small on the inside. There is no magical way to make something feel bigger.
You clearly don't live in Harry Potter's world. ;)

evnow said:
BrockWI said:
Well I'm guessing you've never seen Grimm.......
A small Airstream trailer on the outside......like a small house on the inside :lol:

evnow said:
BrockWI said:

Sure there is - many cars are large on the outside, but have badly designed insides, so they have less room than the should. The proportion of length to height, also affects the interior volume, and how usable it is.

The Bolt EV has MORE interior volume than a Tesla Model S.

NeilBlanchard said:
The Bolt EV has MORE interior volume than a Tesla Model S.
Do you have figures to back that up? I've sat in a Bolt (there are 4 or 5 here at work now) and I can't imagine anyway that it had more volume that the Model S, passenger or cargo. Certainly the full size futon frame+mattress I put in my Model S last week would not have fit in a Bolt.

The best comparison I find is from MotorTrend: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-vs-2016-tesla-model-s-60/
Although the Tesla’s passenger cabin is ever so slightly smaller than the Bolt’s, its front and rear trunks do give it a 9-cubic-foot advantage in cargo capacity.

jlv said:
Do you have figures to back that up? I've sat in a Bolt (there are 4 or 5 here at work now) and I can't imagine anyway that it had more volume that the Model S, passenger or cargo. Certainly the full size futon frame+mattress I put in my Model S last week would not have fit in a Bolt.

The best comparison I find is from MotorTrend: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-vs-2016-tesla-model-s-60/
Although the Tesla’s passenger cabin is ever so slightly smaller than the Bolt’s, its front and rear trunks do give it a 9-cubic-foot advantage in cargo capacity.
I've put a ten foot length of electrical conduit in my S, something that I doubt that I could do with the Bolt. The S is lower and longer for better aero — the low height reduces interior volume a bit — but has the width, length and hatch to carry useful cargo, unlike many other cars. I use it like a truck to carry tools, such as a rock bar, postholer, and shovel when doing street sign work here.

evnow said:
OrientExpress said:

Goes to show how useless of a number this is.
Goes to show that its a single measure, more useful for calculating passenger space (since passengers vary little in their shape, and tend to need height as much as width and length) than cargo space, which varies considerably depending on what needs to be carried. For suitcases or many boxes volume is a good measure. For long but flat cargo, length, width or area is more important. Just depends on your needs or priorities.

Back