2011 heater, what to expect?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supersleeper

Hi Folks,

So, used owner here, and haven't owned it long enough to experience the mild California winter with the car yet. So, coldest I've ever experienced here at the bay is 30 F. That doesn't happen often. We're lucky to see 30 at all. At what point does the heater become useless? It it's only in the 30's, I'll just deal a couple days, but if it's 40's-50's, I may consider driving my 17mpg gas hog those days.

Thanks!

It doesn't really ever become useless. It just becomes an energy hog. It can consume up to 5-6 KW in sub-zero temps, reducing range by 1/2. If you're happy with 2/3, or 1/2 of the EPA 72 mi range (when new), then you'll be fine. My commute is 8 mi RT, so I don't care, I blast the heat all winter long. Even with 9 of 12 battery bars, I've still got plenty of range.

Supersleeper said:
Hi Folks,

So, used owner here, and haven't owned it long enough to experience the mild California winter with the car yet. So, coldest I've ever experienced here at the bay is 30 F. That doesn't happen often. We're lucky to see 30 at all. At what point does the heater become useless? It it's only in the 30's, I'll just deal a couple days, but if it's 40's-50's, I may consider driving my 17mpg gas hog those days.

Thanks!

I've leased a 2012 with old heater and 2015 with the heat pump. For typical Bay Area temps, the old heater's power consumption was rarely a factor for me; only when really stretching the range. Either heater will keep you as warm as you want, as long as you have the charge to accommodate it.

If range becomes an issue, you'll want to either learn to turn the climate control off for more range, or get the heater off switch and harness sold by a member here. As it is the heater will run whenever the climate control is on and it isn't Hot outside.

thanks for the feedback. I've got a 6.5 mi commute, so I never have a range issue. Plus I use the climate scheduler, and it seems to work.

Back