Should I jump on this 2017 Labor day weekend Leaf special?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcottage

What do you all think? It's for a 2017 Leaf offered by Nissan's Kingston NY dealership

Lease: $0 down pymt. + $139 1st mo. pymt.+ dmv fee + tax = total due at inception. $595 bank fee + $0 sec dep. + $75 doc fee + destination all included in payment. Total pymts/purch opt: $5004/$8710. Mileage allow: 12K mi. per yr. 15¢ per mi. thereafter. Prices include all costs to be paid by consumer. All rebates to dealer. Lessee resp. for maint, excess wear & tear. Subject to NMAC credit approval with Tier 1 through Tier 3. $10,000 dealer discount + $1700 NY State rebate + $7500 Federal Tax Credit. Excludes tax, licensing & registration

All that info quoted, and no model given... If it's an S, then it's not a good fit with Upstate NY. You want an SV. If it is an un-optioned SV, then it's a great deal.

redcottage said:
What do you all think? It's for a 2017 Leaf offered by Nissan's Kingston NY dealership

Lease: $0 down pymt. + $139 1st mo. pymt.+ dmv fee + tax = total due at inception. $595 bank fee + $0 sec dep. + $75 doc fee + destination all included in payment. Total pymts/purch opt: $5004/$8710. Mileage allow: 12K mi. per yr. 15¢ per mi. thereafter. Prices include all costs to be paid by consumer. All rebates to dealer. Lessee resp. for maint, excess wear & tear. Subject to NMAC credit approval with Tier 1 through Tier 3. $10,000 dealer discount + $1700 NY State rebate + $7500 Federal Tax Credit. Excludes tax, licensing & registration
What is the $595 bank fee ?
How long is the lease ?

Based on the inventory over at the dealership it's an S Model which seems to be the only ones in stock.

The $595 bank fee is an acquisition or administrative fee to arrange the lease.

It's 36 months on the lease.

$139 a month and about $1K upfront in fees seems pretty good, but I'm not that well versed in leasing.

It comes down to your range needs and desire for more or less technology. The S30 should go about 70 miles in the worst Winter weather, and typical Winter range should be roughly 80-85 miles when new. It will have no remote access or Nav system.

Is there an end of lease charge ?
Does the monthly rate include interest ?

I'm not trying to be negative, but to add to the list of questions one should know the answers to before signing a contract.

Thanks for the info, remote access and Nav (I have Google Maps, Plugshare and LeafSpy Pro on my Android Phone) aren't big concerns. Winter driving will mostly be in a 15 mile radius.

Thanks for the questions I need to ask at the dealership. I do get a corporate discount through work and one of the local dealerships shows a $1400 reduction off MSRP with that discount which could lower my monthly to $110ish

There is always an end of lease charge if you don't buy the car. Usually $395, IIRC. With that payment, you can also take advantage of lease extensions, as I have done.

LeftieBiker said:
If it's an S, then it's not a good fit with Upstate NY. You want an SV.

While generally, this is good advice, you word it too strongly. It ultimately depends on the OP's use case.

redcottage said:
Winter driving will mostly be in a 15 mile radius.

Even my degraded 24kWh 2012 Leaf (without heat pump) easily handles 30 miles round-trip in all but the worst of weather. In the worst case (-10F to -20F) that I've seen, 30 miles between charge is still doable if you pay attention to heat usage. Heated seats are a God-Send. But with a 30kWh battery, I wouldn't worry about heating the car for 30 miles.

Plus, the heat pump (SV/SL models only) only really helps down to about +14F. Below that, it is no more efficient than the resistance heater in the S model.

I generally don't like leases, but I could see this being a good option if you wanted an EV now, but also wanted to be able to upgrade to something with more range in a few years.

I would recommend getting a used car, but wouldn't fault the logic with this lease. All depends on if it's right for you.

$139/month for a car that doesn't use gas or oil is pretty darn cheap.

Back