Just got my Leaf!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddOcelot

Hello from Texas everyone!

I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Leaf SV as of Monday! I made the switch looking for something more economic and it is a bit of a change coming from my Mazdaspeed3 for sure :lol:
I did a good deal of research before buying and snagged the CPO SV with the QC/LED package and 12 bars. I also purchased an LE Bluetooth adapter and picked up LeafSpyPro before going to the dealer to verify everything was good.

I did have one question that I looked and looked for and didn't seem to find an answer to. My SV has no backup camera and I've seen the threads about how to add it (I have 7 wires, yuck!). However, I never found a thread or info that seemed to mention adding an AroundView camera. I'm sure it would require all four cameras and a new headunit of course but I'm just wondering if there is any software system in place or anything that would prevent this from being semi-plug-and-play or at least possible with running wires.

y4mpskb1aNVfGAOkn990u1OihYkNb89GZaeXkoluoLEZnTZJx-xD8BPZ_yIScF9Or0e9RwfJfNvZybO7uNSptXVI5Dg4ho1nXkFsn2k6VTOmfr7OHpMTaBoj8KGzUPgEFEGIUpP9W6az6iMImjVZcmSfzvSgqdvimjMKU2wwYeVZ6MUdHumAZPcmGvd5w82hVBoO0QUBDuhXP6p8MI-OSdBWg

If you're the type who thinks of pulling a dashboard apart and reassembling it as a nice way to spend one afternoon - and have actually done it in that short a time - it should be possible, given enough parts swapping. You'd need at least the dash infotainment unit, new mirrors, new front emblem/camera, new hatch handle/camera, and some wiring harnesses. At least the SV was designed to accept the parts.

LeftieBiker said:
If you're the type who thinks of pulling a dashboard apart and reassembling it as a nice way to spend one afternoon - and have actually done it in that short a time - it should be possible, given enough parts swapping. You'd need at least the dash infotainment unit, new mirrors, new front emblem/camera, new hatch handle/camera, and some wiring harnesses. At least the SV was designed to accept the parts.

I suppose I am that type :cool:
I was checking out the service manual and it seems that I would need all of the cameras and housing of course, along with the upgraded headunit, Around View Monitor Control Unit, and possibly a Steering Wheel Angle Sensor? I'm not sure if all Leaf's have these or if it is just ones with the premium package.

Must have been an amazing deal you got, as I'm sure otherwise you would have held out for a Leaf that already had the AroundView camera system included in the Premium package.

Good luck, hope you figure out how to make it work but I suspect that, even if you do, you'll end up spending more for the parts than it would have cost you to buy a Leaf with Premium Package in the first place.

There are lots of 3rd party wireless backup camera solutions on the market, you might want to consider that option.

...and possibly a Steering Wheel Angle Sensor? I'm not sure if all Leaf's have these or if it is just ones with the premium package.

If the Leafs with just the backup camera display your projected path in the monitor, then they should all have the angle sensor installed. If there is no projected path display without Around View, then I'm not so sure.

Congrats on the new Leaf!

I have not input on your original post, but I just wanted to welcome you to the club. I thought I was the only crazy person to give up my Mazdaspeed 3. I bought my 2015 Leaf S in February, trading in my beloved 2009 Black Mazdaspeed 3 that I had for 8 years. It was an awesome car but I was ready for a big change and my commute makes the Leaf perfect for me.

Enjoy!

alozzy said:
Must have been an amazing deal you got, as I'm sure otherwise you would have held out for a Leaf that already had the AroundView camera system included in the Premium package.

Good luck, hope you figure out how to make it work but I suspect that, even if you do, you'll end up spending more for the parts than it would have cost you to buy a Leaf with Premium Package in the first place.

There are lots of 3rd party wireless backup camera solutions on the market, you might want to consider that option.

I looked for one down here for a few months and never managed to find one! Plenty would come and go but many didn’t even have QC… After scouring the service manual and looking up a lot of parts required to add it, I think I’ll just settle for the reverse cam. There is a lot more documentation on adding that and a proven method. It also appears that they may be some dealer interaction on the Around View module under the dash to “pair” it to the radio or vehicle.

tbear2001 said:
Congrats on the new Leaf!

I have not input on your original post, but I just wanted to welcome you to the club. I thought I was the only crazy person to give up my Mazdaspeed 3. I bought my 2015 Leaf S in February, trading in my beloved 2009 Black Mazdaspeed 3 that I had for 8 years. It was an awesome car but I was ready for a big change and my commute makes the Leaf perfect for me.

Enjoy!

Awesome!! It was really tough parting with mine! I’ve had my Black 2012 for over 3 years and it was the most fun car I’ve ever owned. It just required more attention and money than I was willing to put into it anymore. City mileage was so very bad in it lol.
But yes, the Leaf makes my daily commute and runs at work so much better!

Back