2011 Leaf Brake Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vijayl

My 2011 Leaf SL has 90K and gets may be 50miles on a full charge to 20%. It has not seen the Dealer except for first 2 free battery checks and getting the service bulletin updated. The only time I spent money for maintenance on my Leaf is for set of tires and wheel alignment..

The efficiency has gone down - the car needs more energy to go the same distance. I'm not sure if others experience the same. It could be because of the older electronic components or the alignment on the wheels may not be great. Car also has a Grabby Brake Syndrome and I do the trick of VSP off, flooring the Brake pedal, which took care of the problem.

Since it has done 90k miles, I decided to check and lubricate the brakes. I'm glad I did that . The pads and pad spacers were completely dried up. I removed all the pads, cleaned it up, applied grease to the metal contact, where it slides in and out. Applied the grease between pad and the spacers. Now I get a pretty good braking experience. No more harsh braking.. I strongly recommend doing it. specially if you have driven it for 6 years.

great observation. I imagine your pads were not very worn at all, but the sliding hardware probably does seize up over time!

vijayl said:
LeftieBiker said:
You should probably change the brake fluid as well.
I looked at it and its clean. May be some day. I don't experience any degradation, so left it as is.

It may be clean but have water in it, which isn't good for the brake system. Changing the brake fluid every couple of years is the right thing to do.

Efficiency will go down when you replace tires. Tires get more efficient with time. The rubber gets harder (less grip) so less safe.
Bob

Valdemar said:
vijayl said:
LeftieBiker said:
You should probably change the brake fluid as well.
I looked at it and its clean. May be some day. I don't experience any degradation, so left it as is.

It may be clean but have water in it, which isn't good for the brake system. Changing the brake fluid every couple of years is the right thing to do.
Agree on the potential moisture (not water though), which leads to corroding the liners.. Changing brake fluid every 3 years is a good practice..

Back