2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
LeftieBiker said:
Here's a question for you: will Pro Park be added as a software upgrade next year, or will 2018 Leaf drivers be 'orphans' who will never get it?

I don't know yet, but the pro parking will probably need some additional hardware.

If Nissan orchestrated that August leak, they will regret it. $900 for the Tech package looked like a bargain then. $2200 for it without Pro Park looks more like a ripoff. Why would anyone buy a 2018 when the 2019 will have it?

TomT said:
Seriously? That's their reason? I can't remember ever gauging acceleration by watching a speedometer! And I'd be fearful of anyone who was rather than watching the road!

I was, at first, strongly in the analog speedometer camp, but after years of driving cars with digital speedometers, I have reversed my opinion and now prefer digital. I have found it is actually faster and easier to interpret than an analog display.

Having had both, I'll disagree with you. Analog-style speedometers are much easier to read. I much prefer the one on my eGolf to the one the Leaf had.

The top of my eGolf's speedo is 50 MPH; so as long as I can see the needle is at the 12 o'clock position, I know I'm going 50, or approximately 50. It's so ingrained in my brain that when I get into my Golf Alltrack, with an identical dashboard, I have to be careful because the 12 o'clock position on that car's speedometer is actually 80, not 50.

If you noticed, a lot of high end cars now have faux analog gauges that are little more than a computer screen facsimile of the real thing. But the interface still looks (somewhat) analog. So the consumer preference seems to lean more towards analog (or at least analog-looking) than a full digital readout.

The top of my eGolf's speedo is 50 MPH; so as long as I can see the needle is at the 12 o'clock position, I know I'm going 50, or approximately 50. It's so ingrained in my brain that when I get into my Golf Alltrack, with an identical dashboard, I have to be careful because the 12 o'clock position on that car's speedometer is actually 80, not 50.

This illustrates the difference between those who have to worry about one or two speed limits in regular driving, and those who have to deal with half a dozen of them. I liked analog car speedos while I used them, but after a few years of the high-mounted digital readout, I have zero desire to go back.

I just saw this thread and want to respond to give my thoughts.

I think the analog speedometer sucks. I was really stressing over this for the month prior to the 2018 Leaf announcement.

I really liked the digital speedometer in the previous generation Leaf. Plus it looks really wierd to throw in a single analog guage to the right of an all-digital display. I don't know what Nissan was thinking about.

I consider the digital speedometer to be a status symbol of a car which is otherwise loaded with high-tech features.

For this reason, I will likely not purchase the 2018 Leaf but instead will purchase a used previous generation Leaf in the hopes that Nissan will change back to all digital Speedometer in the 2019 or 2020 Leaf. I am also waiting for 2019 or 2020 too get the upgraded battery pack and upgraded ProPilot.

One thing Nissan could have done was to make the digital panel in the instrument all digital and this would have given them the option of displaying the speedometer in either digital or analog. It just looks cheezy for them to use a digital flat panel and then stick in an analog guage - why not ALL didital, Nissan ? Every other EV I have looked at has a digital Speedometer display.

Tim

wtdedula said:

I think the analog speedometer sucks. I was really stressing over this for the month prior to the 2018 Leaf announcement.

I really liked the digital speedometer in the previous generation Leaf. Plus it looks really wierd to throw in a single analog guage to the right of an all-digital display. I don't know what Nissan was thinking about.

I consider the digital speedometer to be a status symbol of a car which is otherwise loaded with high-tech features.

For this reason, I will likely not purchase the 2018 Leaf but instead will purchase a used previous generation Leaf in the hopes that Nissan will change back to all digital Speedometer in the 2019 or 2020 Leaf. I am also waiting for 2019 or 2020 too get the upgraded battery pack and upgraded ProPilot.

One thing Nissan could have done was to make the digital panel in the instrument all digital and this would have given them the option of displaying the speedometer in either digital or analog. It just looks cheezy for them to use a digital flat panel and then stick in an analog guage - why not ALL didital, Nissan ? Every other EV I have looked at has a digital Speedometer display.

Tim

If it makes you feel any better, the speedo is still decoding digital CAN-bus data to obtain the speed. It's just moving a needle instead of painting digits.

If numerals are a must-have, maybe the next version can use these bad-boys to feel more "modern": ;)

gksuyrx17sta9brvx1ak.gif

Nubo said:
If numerals are a must-have, maybe the next version can use these bad-boys to feel more "modern": ;)

gksuyrx17sta9brvx1ak.gif

Now that is awesome! I'm total in for a Nixie speedometer! Would probably need a push button transmission to go with it, though...

Chrysler_imperial_dash_push_button_transmission%3D1956.jpg

Nubo said:
wtdedula said:

Tim

If it makes you feel any better, the speedo is still decoding digital CAN-bus data to obtain the speed. It's just moving a needle instead of painting digits.

gksuyrx17sta9brvx1ak.gif

Then what's the point of changing back to analog? Why not stay digital and extend the flat panel display to include a digital (or analog) representation of a speedometer to make everyone happy? Every other EV that I've researched uses a digital speedometer. My wish still stands ... hopefully in the '19 model.

Funny :lol: but Interestingly, I used to play around with those "old" nixie tubes in the 70s when I was into Electronics. Just like the analog spedometer, they are 70-ish and they also would make the instrumentation look 70-ish.

Nubo is just trying to make those of us who prefer digital displays look like Geeks and Nerds. He apparently only understand what he personally believes. What it comes down to for me is that having to look away from the road, down into an instrument well at an analog gauge, is worse and less safe than flicking my eyes to a high digital display and right back without having to lose sight of the road.

wtdedula said:
Then what's the point of changing back to analog? Why not stay digital and extend the flat panel display to include a digital (or analog) representation of a speedometer to make everyone happy?

I imagine cost was one factor. Smaller displays are cheaper. But beyond that, digital panel displays can tend to get washed out in bright direct sunlight. The current LEAF digital speedo is therefore tightly cowled, but that is more difficult with a larger display.
And finally, Nissan claims this was chosen based on researching customer preferences, especially for giving a feel for acceleration and not just speed. Given the power bump, they may have wished to accentuate the better feeling of acceleration in the new model. A numeric speed doesn't convey that second-order information effectively.
Every other EV that I've researched uses a digital speedometer. My wish still stands ... hopefully in the '19 model.

Funny :lol: but Interestingly, I used to play around with those "old" nixie tubes in the 70s when I was into Electronics. Just like the analog spedometer, they are 70-ish and they also would make the instrumentation look 70-ish.

Fair enough.

The addition of a numeric presentation in main instrument display is on the wishlist for the next LEAF model refresh.

So along those lines which of these combination displays do you prefer?

Dial and numeric with one in a gauge and the other in the MFD (multi-function-display):

leafspeedometercombo-1.jpg

or numeric and dial presentation in the same instrument:

leafspeedometercombo-2.jpg

LeftieBiker said:

This illustrates the difference between those who have to worry about one or two speed limits in regular driving, and those who have to deal with half a dozen of them..

In my 8 mile commute the posted speed limit changes 5 times (6 if you include the speed limit on my residential street). I still prefer analog.

In my 8 mile commute the posted speed limit changes 5 times (6 if you include the speed limit on my residential street). I still prefer analog.

Your trip each way is short. I'm talking about multiple speed limits and 20+ mile trips, so there is lots more having to look at the speed. I don't think I'd have an issue driving 8 miles at a time, either.

Just got around to seeing this thread...and coming to the realization that there is (currently) not an alternative choice to the analog speedo.
I think it sucks; at the very least there should be a choice. I can't believe they have gone backwards after having a digital speedo for 6+ years; I hope that changes by the time I want to "upgrade".

LeftieBiker said:

Your trip each way is short. I'm talking about multiple speed limits and 20+ mile trips, so there is lots more having to look at the speed. I don't think I'd have an issue driving 8 miles at a time, either.

Whether I have zero speed limit changes, or a 100 of them, it doesn't matter: I don't find an analog speedo difficult to read, in fact quite the opposite.

I'm currently driving cross-country and my rental car (Ford Fusion hybrid) has an analog speedo; in this case the 12 o'clock position is 60 MPH. I can't tell you how many speed limit changes I've encountered in the last week or so, but it's not been a problem. I could configure the dash to give me a redundant digital speedometer read out but I choose to have the eco-display (showing when the car is in regen mode, among other things) showing instead.

I don't understand why they changed the display. I don't remember lot of people cribbing about the current display. Why change it ? Was the current display too expensive ?

evnow said:
I don't understand why they changed the display. I don't remember lot of people cribbing about the current display. Why change it ? Was the current display too expensive ?

They probably saved $50 per unit. I'm sure they also wanted a "new look" for the dash, but change just for the sake of change is rarely a good idea.

Back