Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family will be buying a Bolt EV in about a month. I am 6'-4" 227 pounds 36" inseam, and my son is 6'-6" about 250 pounds and also 36" inseam. My brother is almost 6'-7" about 265 pounds, and a 38" inseam - and ALL THREE of us fit at the same time in any seat in the Bolt EV. And yes, a fourth person could also fit.

My spouse has knee problems, and she is very comfortable in the Bolt. The backseat of the Leaf is quite uncomfortable for us, because the seat is too low to the floor. We fit much better in our e-Golf.

If you say so, I believe you. My experience was much different though.

NeilBlanchard said:
My family will be buying a Bolt EV in about a month. I am 6'-4" 227 pounds 36" inseam, and my son is 6'-6" about 250 pounds and also 36" inseam. My brother is almost 6'-7" about 265 pounds, and a 38" inseam - and ALL THREE of us fit at the same time in any seat in the Bolt EV. And yes, a fourth person could also fit.

My spouse has knee problems, and she is very comfortable in the Bolt. The backseat of the Leaf is quite uncomfortable for us, because the seat is too low to the floor. We fit much better in our e-Golf.
I'm quite a bit shorter - 5'11", 32" inseam; but I had no issues with the Bolt's front seat. In the back seat, I had plenty of headroom but the "seat bottom" only extended about halfway along my thighs. It was more than fine for a short ride but I don't think I would want to be a back seat passenger for a true 200+ mile road trip.

jhm614 said:
NeilBlanchard said:

I'm quite a bit shorter - 5'11", 32" inseam; but I had no issues with the Bolt's front seat. In the back seat, I had plenty of headroom but the "seat bottom" only extended about halfway along my thighs. It was more than fine for a short ride but I don't think I would want to be a back seat passenger for a true 200+ mile road trip.
That's an issue I've had with most Japanese cars in the front seat. Those of us of European ancestry are typically still taller than the average Japanese, although they've closed a lot of the height gap since WW2, and even with the seat all the way back I can't stretch my legs out enough to lower my thighs so that all of them are supported on the seat bottom, even if it's otherwise long enough (often isn't). This normally isn't a problem with European and American-designed cars, like the e-Golf where I have to slide the seat forward a couple of inches from the aft stop.

Just another confirmation that the Bolt's primary design was as an urban car, where ability to enter and exit the back easily takes precedence over thigh support for longer drives.

so the only thing confirmed after months of back and forth (mostly critiquing other peoples writing abilities) is that no manufacturer has the perfect car.

Got it!

Thanks all

Took a Bolt LT for a test drive today and I think it'll do just fine. The seat was only slightly restrictive and I think it should be fine over time, but I'll try a few more rides to be sure. The dealer offers 2 day test drives.

My 2012 SL had a really good seat. I remember, when I changed to the 2015 SV, that the seat was definitely less comfortable, kind of restrictive too. But now I have to think about it to notice it.

After 5 years of 24 kWh Leafs a 60 kWh car is going to be a breeze. Just going to Boston and back on the Pike at 85 mph, without needing to charge, is going to be a luxury.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Took a Bolt LT for a test drive today and I think it'll do just fine. The seat was only slightly restrictive and I think it should be fine over time, but I'll try a few more rides to be sure. The dealer offers 2 day test drives.

My 2012 SL had a really good seat. I remember, when I changed to the 2015 SV, that the seat was definitely less comfortable, kind of restrictive too. But now I have to think about it to notice it.

After 5 years of 24 kWh Leafs a 60 kWh car is going to be a breeze. Just going to Boston and back on the Pike at 85 mph, without needing to charge, is going to be a luxury.

My household is a Leaf/Bolt household, and we use the Leaf for all short range trips/trips where we can get a charge if needed for mid range trips. The Bolt has taken us on round trips of 300+ miles (we can go 250ish miles before real range anxiety sets in), and we definitely enjoy not stopping for gas as part of our daily routine. As for driving my wife's Bolt, I love driving it, and driving in L feels more natural than driving the Leaf...

Discounts on Bolts keep growing...along with those on almost every BEV/PHEV surveyed.

Wonder if GM will cut Bolt prices even further, or just settle for lower sales, after 2018 LEAFs hit the Dealers?

...Some statistics from August data:
Average Bolt discount is $3960. Was $3315 in July.
Average Volt discount is $5006. Was $4283 in July.
Average C-Max Energi discount is $5322. Was $5050 in July.
Average Fusion Energi discount is $8006. Was $6191 in July...
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2017/02/current-discounts-on-selected-evs.html

edatoakrun said:
Discounts on Bolts keep growing...along with those on almost every BEV/PHEV surveyed.

Wonder if GM will cut Bolt prices even further, or just settle for lower sales, after 2018 LEAFs hit the Dealers?

Chevy might not have to deepen the discount. Remember, the current Leaf discount is right around 10K. I can't imagine that the new Leaf will have that deep of a discount right off the bat...

jhm614 said:
edatoakrun said:

Chevy might not have to deepen the discount. Remember, the current Leaf discount is right around 10K. I can't imagine that the new Leaf will have that deep of a discount right off the bat...

I am sure it won't either but the reality is the 2017 LEAF was discounted because in today's market, that was pretty close to its value. The 2018 LEAF provides MUCH more value so I would hope for $3000 (plus loyalty) give or take. That still puts an SV with tech at $23-$24,000 after incentives which would be a pretty good price

DNAinaGoodWay said:
This is exactly what we found (albeit with a Tesla not a Bolt). Although I still don't do 85, but keep up with those doing 75.

I think those coming to higher capacity EVs aren't going to learn to be frugal with the battery, simply because they don't have to. I'm usually getting around 250Wh/mi (4mi/kWh) in my S whereas I've read that most people are happy getting 400Wh/mi, and it's because they, well, just drive the car without worrying about range. :lol:

jlv said:
I think those coming to higher capacity EVs aren't going to learn to be frugal with the battery, simply because they don't have to. I'm usually getting around 250Wh/mi (4mi/kWh) in my S whereas I've read that most people are happy getting 400Wh/mi, and it's because they, well, just drive the car without worrying about range. :lol:

I've gradually learned this with my own 24kWh EV. I simply drive the car without worrying about range. Typically I'm averaging about 315Wh/mi in my Leaf (3.2 miles/kWh), and I'm perfectly happy with that. My degraded battery has about 17kWh usable in it, so I can go about 50-55 miles on a charge. Perfect. If I go a little farther than 50 miles, I slow down a little. If I go much farther, I just take the PHEV (for now).

Although I consider such records to have almost zero relevance to regular driving, for those who value such things, via IEVS:
Opel Ampera-E (Chevy Bolt EV) Goes 466 Miles On Single Charge
http://insideevs.com/opel-ampera-e-goes-466-miles-single-charge/

. . . However, a TV crew from Auto Mobil, a show on the German VOX channel, managed to travel the impressive distance of 466 miles (750 km) without recharging the batteries of the EV. It goes without even saying they had to drive considerably slower than normal, between 25 miles per hour (40 kilometers per hour) and 31 mph (50 kph), making full use of the brake energy regeneration. We are pretty sure they also never used the climate or audio systems, too. . . .

It took them no less than 25 hours and 30 minutes to cross Germany mostly through country roads, travelling for exactly 469 miles (754.9 km) before running out of power.

We replaced our '15 Leaf S with a '17 Bolt EV Premier, and we couldn't be happier. We fit much better, and having so much range in an EV is a revelation. Even in "hilltop reserve" mode, we get about 290 miles range indicated.

NeilBlanchard said:
We replaced our '15 Leaf S with a '17 Bolt EV Premier, and we couldn't be happier. We fit much better, and having so much range in an EV is a revelation. Even in "hilltop reserve" mode, we get about 290 miles range indicated.
Congrats! Don't be a stranger but... try not to brag too much :D

jhm614 said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Congrats! Don't be a stranger but... try not to brag too much :D

Thanks!

Me too. Leased a LT with all 3 packages last night and drove it on the highway like any gas car. Stopped for dinner and in 2 EVgo sessions sucked up 41.2 kWh, $22.30, roughly equivalent to a 20 mpg car at 4 m/kWh at local gas prices, but I was only doing around 3 m/kWh I think, not driving conservatively at all.

Car was fresh off the train and the seats seem fine to us. Maybe GM is making adjustments.

Dealer negotiations were as fun as always, but this could be my last time playing. Tesla should be more accessible in 2020, and who knows what else.

Loved my Leafs, but happy to move on. Bolt is pretty fun to drive. Now I just have to learn all these new features and settings. Never used onstar before.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Me too. Leased a LT with all 3 packages last night and drove it on the highway like any gas car. Stopped for dinner and in 2 EVgo sessions sucked up 40.2 kWh, $22.30, roughly equivalent to a 20 mpg car at 4 m/kWh at local gas prices, but I was only doing around 3 m/kWh I think, not driving conservatively at all.

Car was fresh off the train and the seats seem fine to us. Maybe GM is making adjustments.

Dealer negotiations were as fun as always, but this could be my last time playing. Tesla should be more accessible in 2020, and who knows what else.

Loved my Leafs, but happy to move on. Bolt is pretty fun to drive. Now I just have to learn all these new features and settings. Never used onstar before.

Good deal. If you have several EVGO stations in your area, you should start monitoring them for speed since they are NOT all created equally. We have higher power stations that started appearing 6 months ago as upgrades to existing station including at least one case where only one of the two fast chargers were upgraded. On a time based charged, the difference is significant. Yesterday it was 52.4 KW verses using the station 2 feet away at 40 KW

I sure hope so. IIRR, Bolt can QC up to 80 kW. We went to a mall with a recently installed replacement unit but it was down. Luckily the other older one was up and open, but had to call to start as I had left my EVgo cards in my other EV.

Car only had 80 miles on it when we picked it up. Sale happened too fast for proper prep time. Salesman apologized but told him 80 miles was full for me.

GOM seems accurate enough, mall was 50 miles and it read 28 miles when we got there at ICE highway speeds. Haven't figured out if Bolt shows % but QC showed 12% I think.

Is there a BoltSpy yet?

Did two 31 minute sessions, 22.617 and 18.589 kWhs and GOM showed 180 miles or so. Sorry, I was pretty tired by then. Groggy now, need coffee, I'll let you do the math. Thanks.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I sure hope so. IIRR, Bolt can QC up to 80 kW. We went to a mall with a recently installed replacement unit but it was down. Luckily the other older one was up and open, but had to call to start as I had left my EVgo cards in my other EV.

Car only had 80 miles on it when we picked it up. Sale happened too fast for proper prep time. Salesman apologized but told him 80 miles was full for me.

GOM seems accurate enough, mall was 50 miles and it read 28 miles when we got there at ICE highway speeds. Haven't figured out if Bolt shows % but QC showed 12% I think.

Is there a BoltSpy yet?

Did two 31 minute sessions, 22.617 and 18.589 kWhs and GOM showed 180 miles or so. Sorry, I was pretty tired by then. Groggy now, need coffee, I'll let you do the math. Thanks.

sounds like you hit an upgraded station since you can't hit 20+ kwh on the other ones in 30 mins. What was SOC at end of 2nd session? cause it sounds like it launched at 100 amps (40 KW)

Back