pre-built Openevse chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebeighe

There are two pre-built Openevse chargers on their website; the price difference is $100
"Standard" vs. "advanced"
https://store.openevse.com/collections/frontpage/products/40a-charging-station-powered-by-openevse
https://store.openevse.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-model-p50a-advanced-40a-charging-station-powered-by-openevse

I am trying to understand the differences; I see the advances had wi-fi and a color (rather than monochrome) LCD display.
The wifi kit alone is $37.50 and that's something I do want, but expect I wouldn't mind installing myself.

Anyway, not having vs. having wifi is self explanatory -- but what other functional differences are there?
E.g. do both allow timed/delayed charging; i think that's a feature i would want.

Unless you are completely allergic to DIY, I recommend buying one of the kits. The instructions Chris provides on the website are very detailed and easy to follow and the experience of building the unit is very rewarding. You’ll have a better idea of what that box on the wall is doing.

Just my opinion. Either way, you’re getting a good product. I’ve been using my V1 DIY unit for over 3 years without an issue. I’ve even upgraded some of the components (WiFi, contactor) over time as Chris has refined the design.

DuncanCunningham said:
one of them lets you use it on a 120v outlet or supply.
ah, true; i see now -- the S (standard) is Level 2 only, A (advanced) is Level 1 or 2. thx for pointing that out.

I recommend that you buy the parts and build it yourself. Shop eBay for the cables. I use a 4 dollar Chinese coil for the GFCI. The 100A 20Ma coils work fine. A JuiceBox style relay is around $15 shipped. Or buy Chris's 50A 240V contactor for a 240V only unit.

With Chris you have everything but at a high price. You can do much better on your own. Heavy duty 8X8 or 6X6x4 inch junction boxes work fine and they are cheap. It really depends on your experience and whether you are willing to wait on China. I have made up a dual voltage 40A max OpenEVSE for sell at $350. I usually disable the internal power metering and use a $10 four function LCD meter.The internal power assumes a fixed voltage but the internal current is real.

Why is this even an issue?? You buy ONE car charger. So you made your own (non-UL listed) science project for $350. All you need to do is buy a name brand charger for $400-500. Plug it in, and forget it...

Why would anyone go through the trouble?. Maybe people do not have enough things to do in their daily life???

Well, that's certainly another opinion. I personally like to understand the technology around me so I've gotten enjoyment out of building and understanding how my EVSE (the charger is in the car) works. I went so far as to learn about the protocol the car and the EVSE use to negotiate the charge rate and other commands.

I recognize this isn't for everyone. Some folks are going to pay an electrician to install Brand X EVSE and that's perfectly fine as it gets more EVs on the road. Others, like me, don't pay people to do stuff like that. I repair all my appliances, do most of my own home improvements, and enjoy tinkering. This is all motivated by my desire to learn how things work.

My assumption, perhaps incorrect, is that if the OP is looking at OpenEVSE units, there must be at least a little interest in the DIY element. My goal would be to encourage that as the kit is "fun" to build. But I also miss HeathKit and RadioShack (the old one) so thats an indicator of my perspective.

Again, either way, you'll find that the elements that make up the EVSE that Chris offers are of very high quality. They are more expensive than sourcing them elsewhere, but not to a huge degree. You will certainly come out with a higher quality EVSE by buying or building an OpenEVSE than you will going with something like a Blink or ChargePoint home EVSE. The only other EVSE I've seen that looks to match OpenEVSE quality is Clipper Creek. GlennD is highly knowledgable about the inner workings of EVSEs and electronics and has a comfort level sourcing parts that allows him to build them at a much lower cost. I'm not at that level, but he has even shared parts with me in the past for other projects. I still need to build that LEAF DD!

Anyway, whatever the OP chooses, good luck and come back here if you have any more questions.

BTW: The Blink EVSE was UL Listed for all the good that did.

Back