2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stanton said:
Just got around to seeing this thread...and coming to the realization that there is (currently) not an alternative choice to the analog speedo.
I think it sucks; at the very least there should be a choice. I can't believe they have gone backwards after having a digital speedo for 6+ years; I hope that changes by the time I want to "upgrade".

I'm interested in why people think this is a step "backwards"? Is it a matter of being "modern" fashion, or do you really feel that a numeric display is a superior way to get speed information? If so, why?

LeftieBiker said:
Nubo, I think we've made it clear that this isn't a matter of "fashion.

I have to say, I don't think you have made a case for anything but a personal preference or fashion. That's OK, because there isn't one right way for this type of instrument, neither is there a case for it to be a step forward or backward.

I haven't seen an empirical argument for either type of display from anyone so far, which leads me to categorize the preference as a personal one. But no worries here, because if we are lucky, the next revision of the car will have both styles of speedometer available.

OrientExpress said:
I haven't seen an empirical argument for either type of display from anyone so far

I respectfully disagree. I think a solid argument has been made for an analog speedometer. One that Leftie happens to disagree with, but that doesn't negate the argument.

LeftieBiker said:
Nubo, I think we've made it clear that this isn't a matter of "fashion." Your continued implications that it is are becoming offensive.

Yes, you have made your position clear. I am interested in other peoples' reasoning too.

For some folks it does seem to be about fashion and not wanting a "'70's appearance. So I'm wondering if that's the predominant reason for the dislikes or other more technical or physiological reasons that they can explain.

No, you're looking for reasons to act superior even in trivial matters like that. Because after all, YOU can't be just expressing a personal preference - it has to be the One True Reality.

Driving home tonight, I was noticing that I can see my speed and the road at the same time - no need to look down and away from the road. That is a safety feature, not fashion, fad or irrational personal preference.

I just got through downloading some more photos from the Las Vegas Reveal from one of my other cameras and look what I just found! This is another interior shot of the instruments and the multi-function display. My jaw hit the table when I saw this!

18_LEAF_dual_speedometer.jpg

This was from an SL trimmed car, but you tell me if that does not look if there is both a digital and analog speed display in the car?

Those of you that are on FB will you please share this photo for me, I'm tired of doing shares to all of the FB LEAF groups! And stop bickering you guys!

All of my other vehicles have analog speedometers (all but one are actually mechanical). I was firmly an analog guy before getting the first Leaf. I had to accept the digital speedometer if I wanted to drive electric. After getting used to it, I really like the digital display high on the dash and shaded to make it easy to glance at regardless of lighting conditions. I have driven a few rental cars with "analog" speedometers created with LED/LCD lighting on flat panel displays and I strongly dislike them because they are hard to read, especially if mounted low in the dash. I don't particularly like the photos of the new dash and some of the other features on the 2018 so I plan to keep my 2015 for a long time.

The only thing I would change on the existing Leaf dash is get rid of the Eco tree display and use the space in the upper part for something useful like battery pack voltage.

GetOffYourGas said:
I respectfully disagree. I think a solid argument has been made for an analog speedometer.

The biggest (and only statistically relevant) measure is customer satisfaction with the current digital dash. If that is not a point of dissatisfaction - it is a solid argument for not making a change.

What was your solid argument, again ?

OrientExpress said:
This was from an SL trimmed car, but you tell me if that does not look if there is both a digital and analog speed display in the car?

I hope you are right, because there is no better way to quickly determine speed than a single (digital) number.
The negative in this case is I would have to "choose" this speed display in lieu of some other (potentially useful) display; it just seems like a "permanent" analog speedo is a waste of precious dash real estate.

evnow said:
What was your solid argument, again ?

Peripheral vision. You can see the speed without looking at the speedo. I think a lot of people on this thread underestimate their own ability to do so, even subconsciously.

The biggest argument for a digital speedo is location. I am going to miss having the "eyebrow" above the steering wheel with the speed on it. I have it on my Leaf, and had it on my 2010 Insight before that.

But like I said, the CMax doesn't have that. It has an analog speedo in nearly the same location as the 2018 Leaf (its is centered, while the Leaf's is slightly to the right). I can absolutely see it without looking at it, whereas the Leaf I have to actually look away from the road to read it. Yes, I can see the road through peripheral vision, but I'd rather it be the other way - eyes on the road, periphery on the gauges. Analog allows that, digital does not.

Stanton said:
The negative in this case is I would have to "choose" this speed display in lieu of some other (potentially useful) display

What is missing from this screen? It's got two speedometers for whatever your preference is, a compass, range remaining, what gear the car is in, SOC, Trip odometer, media setting, time, temperature, ePedal and Pro Pilot status, and the usual crew of warning lights. If you select it, it's there the next time the car is started.

I think it is exactly what is needed.

GetOffYourGas said:
All that's missing is something to complain about :lol:

Isn't that the truth. That's what happens when you get a bunch of grumpy old men with nothing to do but sit in front of their computer in their underwear!

Nubo said:
For some folks it does seem to be about fashion and not wanting a "'70's appearance. So I'm wondering if that's the predominant reason for the dislikes or other more technical or physiological reasons that they can explain.

That "old school" look seems to not be a problem for high end watch makers like Rolex. You're also starting to see them more on high end cars today, just like before.

Anybody remember when digital dashes first started to appear on cars close to 40 years ago? They were offered on quite a few cars for a short while, but most manufacturers ended up going back to analog until quite recently.

LeftieBiker said:
Isn't there a Leaf Fanboi Club? They could really use guys like you two.

Fanboi? Nah. I just enjoy my car, and believe the 2018 is a significant stride forward. I still remember 10 years ago when acquiring an EV at all meant converting / building it yourself. I'm thrilled that we are arguing about such mundane details!

OrientExpress said:
Stanton said:
The negative in this case is I would have to "choose" this speed display in lieu of some other (potentially useful) display

What is missing from this screen? It's got two speedometers for whatever your preference is, a compass, range remaining, what gear the car is in, SOC, Trip odometer, media setting, time, temperature, ePedal and Pro Pilot status, and the usual crew of warning lights. If you select it, it's there the next time the car is started.

I think it is exactly what is needed.

Nice! I figured that would include a digital one. That makes me happy

I was just at the Sunnyvale EVent at their research office. The marketing guy (Brian), confirmed that one of the screen choices on the left LCD is a digital speedometer.

People asked him about why the analog speedo. IIRC (I hope I'm paraphrasing correctly), is that they got customer feedback that having a needle moving has a (wanted) psychological effect on people and I guess gives them a sense of acceleration that a more traditional car brings. And, that it was lacking in a purely digital speedo.

There were a few other folks standing around him who heard this answer. Chime in if I'm not correctly remembering/conveying.

Back