Nissan "Out-of-Warranty" support for battery pack degradation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Valdemar said:
There may not be a business case for this considering the costs involved.
It seems the engineering is already done. Perhaps I am missing something, but I would think the cars asks the BMS to provide the information that it needs to do its job. Hopefully the car doesn't assume anything about the battery size.

There are lots of innovative and thoughtful engineering done every day, but in the end politics, marketing, and the financial profitability rue the day.

RegGuheert said:
Valdemar said:
There may not be a business case for this considering the costs involved.
It seems the engineering is already done. Perhaps I am missing something, but I would think the cars asks the BMS to provide the information that it needs to do its job. Hopefully the car doesn't assume anything about the battery size.

Hard to say, but it's not too unreasonable to suspect there were some assumptions built into say the dashboard instrumentation and/or the ECU about the values coming from the BMS so some software changes may be in order to make it work. Even if not an engineering issue a longer range may call for a need to re-certify the car per some regulatory clause. And the fact Nissan would rather have you buy a new car instead of a new battery still holds true.

I just got approved for a 80/20 on my 2012 I bought in september. Car has 58k and is 3 months out on time. Is anyone not getting covered?

Not sure yet, but that's the ball park. Taking the car in today or tomorrow to have them read the serial number from the battery before they order a new one.

Good to see you got the 80/20 settlement. I took the car in to the dealership a couple weeks ago to try and go through them first only to tell me I needed to be missing 9 capacity bars to qualify for the warranty. So I called the EV hotline the same day and got a follow up phone call today saying that they are still awaiting a response from the dealership. So hopefully next Tuesday I will have some resolution on my car as well. We are at a similar mileage and about the same amount of time out of warranty (my car is 5 months over the 5 years), so I am hoping for a similar out come.

Roadburner440 said:
Good to see you got the 80/20 settlement. I took the car in to the dealership a couple weeks ago to try and go through them first only to tell me I needed to be missing 9 capacity bars to qualify for the warranty. So I called the EV hotline the same day and got a follow up phone call today saying that they are still awaiting a response from the dealership. So hopefully next Tuesday I will have some resolution on my car as well. We are at a similar mileage and about the same amount of time out of warranty (my car is 5 months over the 5 years), so I am hoping for a similar out come.

Yep that is looking like the minimum requirement for a discount. I have several who wanted a newer pack because 9-10 bars simply was too inconvenient and they were all told the same thing.

I am guessing you could go straight to the dealer and they will gladly let you pay full price though...

Durandal said:
ianferrell said:
I just got approved for a 80/20 on my 2012 I bought in september. Car has 58k and is 3 months out on time. Is anyone not getting covered?
What's the final cost on that? $1200?
Some posters report labor charged separately and on their dime, others report paying only 20% of the battery msrp.

My deal was 90/10. Out of pocket was a total of $602 (plus original battery diag for $120).
Seems the whole deal (battery and labor) was included at 90/10.
My GOM shows 108 miles now at full charge - I actually took it on the freeway and went 70 mph - just like a real car!
Tomorrow I will turn on the a/c (with the awesome heater disconnect harness) and actually drive in "D" !!
By the way - thanks Nissan - I'm a customer again.

LeafPowerIsIxE said:
My deal was 90/10. Out of pocket was a total of $602 (plus original battery diag for $120).
My GOM shows 108 miles now at full charge - I actually took it on the freeway and went 70 mph - just like a real car!
Tomorrow I will turn on the a/c (with the awesome heater disconnect harness) and actually drive in "D" !!
Ok, now that's great! I would take that deal and remain a Nissan customer as well. Otherwise, sorry Nissan, I'm getting a Tesla Model 3 (reserved on the 1st day, west coast delivery might mean sometime in 2018-9). I'll drop my 9th bar Fall 2018 or maybe Spring 2019 (7+ years and 50-60K mi).

Looks like Dublin Nissan are crooks. They quoted me $2700 (50-50 split), but today when I went to pick up my car, they said its 3100. When I talked to the Service Manager (Scott), he was rude and wouldn't give me breakdown on parts and labor.

He mentioned there was adapter that they needed to add and thats additional cost, labor is 400, blah blah.. He was grumpy before I went inside his ofc. Then he goes, only choice we have is replace the old pack and I've to come back to tomorrow to take my car back.

I went to the Front desk and asked for customer service and a lady went and verified the info she came back saying the parts is 2700 and labor is 400, which makes 3100. Instead of haggling with them I decided to take the car. I do have the breakdown of parts and labor and I'm thinking of calling Nissan and check with them how much it is supposed to be..
Looking at others comments about the invoice, this looks very close to what Nissan charged others (of course different percentage )

Any thoughts?

Feels good to see the full bars and high regen as well. Regen feels much better than the original 2011 pack.

Well I got the call back and they are covering 100% for me. The only thing I can see that I have done differently from other people on here is I have always done the battery check for the last 5 years within days of my anniversary date. I have also gotten all the recommended maintenance done on schedule (brake fluid flushes, cabin filter changes). I also even just have the reduction gear oil changed this March as I felt 100,000 miles was to far to go on the original oil. The other thing I did do was go to the dealership and had them run the battery report, and ran the battery claim through them before calling the EV help line. 3 weeks later though they have come back with the 100% offer, and the battery is currently sitting at the dealership according to my service advisor. They are just waiting on the rest of the adapter parts to come in. I am also doing the TCU upgrade, changing the 12V battery that is 5.5 years old since they told me the car had a bunch of brake ghost codes when they just did the battery check, and getting the rear door gas struts replaced before it gets to cold and the door starts dropping on my head again. As soon as I have the car back and a total in hand I will let you guys know the overall cost though and if I wind up paying for the adapters/labor.

EDIT: I guess other important information is that my car was at almost 57,000 miles, but my 5yr time frame was up on March 23rd which was the cars in service date. So that puts the car almost 6 months beyond the warranty time frame. Either way I found the people to be super nice on the phone. When I originally called I just asked for the 80/20 deal that I told them I had seen other people getting online as I had saved money for that since I knew the 4th bar would be dropping off soon. Me, the dealer, and the EV hotline rep was shocked as even he said it had been awhile since he saw them cover 100%. So I have no tips for you guys as I am probably the worst negotiator, and I had just asked for the 80% from the get go.

Reddy said:
LeafPowerIsIxE said:
Ok, now that's great! I would take that deal and remain a Nissan customer as well. Otherwise, sorry Nissan, I'm getting a Tesla Model 3 (reserved on the 1st day, west coast delivery might mean sometime in 2018-9). I'll drop my 9th bar Fall 2018 or maybe Spring 2019 (7+ years and 50-60K mi).
If you're west coast and 1st day reservation, you're probably looking at April 2018. I reserved April of 2017, and my estimate on the Tesla web page is for May-July 2018 for the $35k version. Log into your Tesla account, click on Manage for your reservation, then click "Delivery Estimator" in the bottom right hand of the page. Preliminary reports are that the ramp-up on production is going fairly well.

Roadburner440 said:
Me, the dealer, and the EV hotline rep was shocked as even he said it had been awhile since he saw them cover 100%.

They want us all forget what real a-holes they can be and start lining up for the 2018 model. Given the latest developments with the 30kWh pack I think I'll keep my money in my pocket and wait a couple more years.

Valdemar said:
Roadburner440 said:
Me, the dealer, and the EV hotline rep was shocked as even he said it had been awhile since he saw them cover 100%.

They want us all forget what real a-holes they can be and start lining up for the 2018 model. Given the latest developments with the 30kWh pack I think I'll keep my money in my pocket and wait a couple more years.

Yep. It might also have helped that RR casually mentioned that he knew of others who were paying x%, tipping them off to the social media karma. I wonder how long Nissan will play the 'good cop' before reverting back to their usual behavior. I say six months max.

Maybe so.. Then again maybe my dealer went to bat for me as they have always been excellent and taken care of me. On the first follow up he said he was still awaiting a response from "other departments" within Nissan about my request for assistance. Last week when he called he told me that they had gotten all of their stuff together internally, and that they were just awaiting a response from my dealer. Being the patient person I am (and not really expecting much anyway) I didn't call the dealer and just let things take their course till I got a call from my service advisor telling me about an e-mail he saw with their shop foreman that my battery was getting covered 100%. I didn't quite believe it at first, but then called the EV hotline and got confirmation of it. Maybe you guys are right they are trying to build goodwill. However with Leaf2 still being air cooled I would be hesitant to get another one. Maybe the lizard pack will change my mind on that by lasting way longer than the original, but only time will tell. Definitely happy with my car at least since I don't foresee anything else really going wrong with it. I just had to get my SPX Voltec EVSE fuse replaced again due to the power surge we had a couple weeks ago. So once I get the LEAF back will be ready to go.

OrientExpress said:
Valdemar said:
They want us all forget what real a-holes they can be and start lining up for the 2018 model.

Not as much forget, but rather It's time to move on, and give the new Nissan crew a chance.

Right. I'm not very inspired by the fact they tweaked capacity bars on the 30kWh pack to be more "inline" with the extended capacity warranty. Hopefully the CAN bus data is still accessible on Gen 2 so we can see how the battery ages, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went through the efforts to hide it this time.

Valdemar said:
Roadburner440 said:

what manufacturer doesn't not have a walk in closet full of skeletons?

Back