Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IssacZachary said:
A charging station in Poncha Springs! Maybe you should work for Tesla because you could probably sell people like me those cars! I've been hoping for a normal L2 station there for my Leaf. Now I'll be going by there clear to Salida and then look back and realize that had I a Tesla I could turn there and continue, either north or south, without going clear to Salida first and then back.
On our recent trip to CO and WY, we spent our first night in Gunnison, CO, your beautiful home, where we charged our Model S 85 on a "50 amp" outlet at the KOA. Basically, we left the Grand Junction Superchargers with about 90% charge and had about 100 miles of range left when we arrived in Gunnison. We got a full charge overnight, left early in the morning, drove over Monarch Pass (above 11,000'), and spent the day in Colorado Springs but skipped the Superchargers there. Only when we reached Denver did we need to stop at another Supercharger before heading up near Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park for that night.

Driving a Tesla through Colorado's mountains was a wonderful experience thanks to the silent, instant climbing power and the lack of range anxiety. That wouldn't have been the case without the Supercharger network.

abasile said:
IssacZachary said:
A charging station in Poncha Springs! Maybe you should work for Tesla because you could probably sell people like me those cars! I've been hoping for a normal L2 station there for my Leaf. Now I'll be going by there clear to Salida and then look back and realize that had I a Tesla I could turn there and continue, either north or south, without going clear to Salida first and then back.
On our recent trip to CO and WY, we spent our first night in Gunnison, CO, your beautiful home, where we charged our Model S 85 on a "50 amp" outlet at the KOA. Basically, we left the Grand Junction Superchargers with about 90% charge and had about 100 miles of range left when we arrived in Gunnison. We got a full charge overnight, left early in the morning, drove over Monarch Pass (above 11,000'), and spent the day in Colorado Springs but skipped the Superchargers there. Only when we reached Denver did we need to stop at another Supercharger before heading up near Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park for that night.

Driving a Tesla through Colorado's mountains was a wonderful experience thanks to the silent, instant climbing power and the lack of range anxiety. That wouldn't have been the case without the Supercharger network.
Also at 11,000ft you don't lose power like you do in a naturally aspirated ICEV when you drive an electric.

I've been both to Grand Junction and Colorado Springs and even Denver in my Leaf. But of course I have to make many more stops and only get to charge off of L2 or L1. Hopefully I'll inherit $35,000 and be able to get a Model 3 some time soon.

IssacZachary said:
I've been both to Grand Junction and Colorado Springs and even Denver in my Leaf. But of course I have to make many more stops and only get to charge off of L2 or L1. Hopefully I'll inherit $35,000 and be able to get a Model 3 some time soon.
That's dedication! Before getting our used Tesla, we also did a number of longer, regional trips in our LEAF, including a trip to the Central Coast above San Luis Obispo in April 2012 before CHAdeMO stations were available. There's still some adventure in using the Tesla in remote areas away from the Superchargers, but there's almost no place you can't visit if you're willing to charge in RV campsites (and/or stay at hotels with destination charging, though we're more inclined toward camping when the weather permits).

My only advice would be to keep driving your LEAF and patiently saving your money toward a used, longer-range EV.

One of the main advantages that the Model 3 will have over the Bolt and Leaf 2 is access to the Telsa Supercharger network. That is a huge plus and a true long distance game changer IMHO.

TomT said:
One of the main advantages that the Model 3 will have over the Bolt and Leaf 2 is access to the Telsa Supercharger network. That is a huge plus and a true long distance game changer IMHO.

And let's also mention the active traction battery cooling that the Bolt and Tesla have while charging etc. Leaf does not have that either...

Evoforce said:
TomT said:

And let's also mention the active traction battery cooling that the Bolt and Tesla have while charging etc. Leaf does not have that either...
How warm does the Bolt or Tesla keep their packs? All summer I have 5 temp bars with an occasional 6 with the Leaf but in the winter there are days I never get more than 1 or 2 temp bars and that makes it charge much slower. Right now I'm getting 4 bars in the mornings.

Back related to the subject of this thread...

Past few days have been pretty active.

https://supercharge.info/
YX5IOY7.jpg

scottf200 said:
Back related to the subject of this thread...

Past few days have been pretty active.

https://supercharge.info/
YX5IOY7.jpg
I'll just note again that none of the above sites are officially open yet, lest someone is taking a trip and counting on them. They've been reported used by one or more customers, but could be shut off. However, the one near Green Bay that is officially open is called "Howard" by Tesla, and it is separate from the Green Bay SC which they also have on their list - whether this is a replacement for or will be in addition to that one is unknown, but they do show as two distinct sites on Tesla's own SC map. Tesla is also still calling the "Hermitage" SC "W. Middlesex"; its location is slightly closer to the latter than the former, but I don't know where the jurisdictional boundaries are.

Tesla will start rolling out smaller, easier to install superchargers in more urban centers.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/supercharging-cities?redirect=no

These will have a max charge rate of 75kW, but will not be affected if two Tesla's are charging at the same time next to each other.
We shall have to see if they can deploy these as quickly, but I like the fact they continue to adapt and make changes.

GRA said:
End of June summary. 7 U.S. SCs opened last month, making 32 for the year and 372 total: Victor, NY (6/1; I-90 near Rochester);
I must've missed this, as I was waiting for the Rochester one to open. I only noticed it yesterday on the in-car SC listing.

Just now I noticed that Tesla is showing a SC open in Boston at the Pru, which is funny because I just parked there on Friday night for a Red Sox game and didn't know it even existed (I didn't even plug-in at the regular L2s because... well, I just didn't need to charge). It's listed as 'up to 72kW'.

supercharge.info isn't showing the new Boston SC yet. Tesla is showing 6 other "in Boston" SCs (presumably the 75kW units), all 'Target opening by end of 2018'.

Zythryn said:
Tesla will start rolling out smaller, easier to install superchargers in more urban centers.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/supercharging-cities?redirect=no

These will have a max charge rate of 75kW, but will not be affected if two Tesla's are charging at the same time next to each other.
We shall have to see if they can deploy these as quickly, but I like the fact they continue to adapt and make changes.

More details and more pictures of the two locations (including boxes with chargers in them) here:
Title: First look at Tesla’s new kind of Supercharger station with design refresh
Fred Lambert - Sep. 11th 2017 2:25 pm ET

https://electrek.co/2017/09/11/first-look-tesla-new-supercharger-station/

While I'm posting here are yesterdays supercharge.info updates/changes
6KJdYqK.jpg

scottf200 said:
<snip> While I'm posting here are yesterdays supercharge.info updates/changes
6KJdYqK.jpg
And I'll again add that only two of those four are listed as open by Tesla yet. I leave it up to those who may be counting on them to check which are which for yourself.

jlv said:
supercharge.info isn't showing the new Boston SC yet. Tesla is showing 6 other "in Boston" SCs (presumably the 75kW units), all 'Target opening by end of 2018'.
It showed up today. (of course the additional 6 expansion locations aren't shown yet)

For dgpcolorado, I see that Tesla has added future SCs in Montrose and Telluride to its SC map (and maybe Walsenburg too; can't remember if that on was already on the map): https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bound...48,-122.21913799999999,d?search=supercharger, All are listed as having end of 2018 target opening dates, unlike Aspen, Poncha Springs and Alamosa which all still show end of 2017 dates. Kayenta's also listed as end of 2018, as are most of the new sites on I-84, I-15 and I-25. In short, Tesla's now revising the map they put out at the start of 2017 to more accurately reflect reality for existing planned sites, while adding even more hypothetical future sites. Sigh - when are they going to grow up.

GRA said:
For dgpcolorado, I see that Tesla has added future SCs in Montrose and Telluride to its SC map (and maybe Walsenburg too; can't remember if that on was already on the map): https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bound...48,-122.21913799999999,d?search=supercharger, All are listed as having end of 2018 target opening dates, unlike Aspen, Poncha Springs and Alamosa which all still show end of 2017 dates. Kayenta's also listed as end of 2018, as are most of the new sites on I-84, I-15 and I-25. In short, Tesla's now revising the map they put out at the start of 2017 to more accurately reflect reality for existing planned sites, while adding even more hypothetical future sites. Sigh - when are they going to grow up.
Yes, I saw the ones planned for Montrose and Telluride and the delay for Kayenta.

I've been in contact with a city official in Montrose who handles public charging there; he had contacted Tesla for a Supercharger Station in Montrose several years ago. No idea where Tesla would want to put the new Supercharger Station in Montrose, not that I wouldn't have suggestions if they asked. That one (along with Poncha Springs) would open up US 50 over Monarch Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, US 550 over Red Mountain Pass to Durango and Farmington and, along with the Telluride Supercharger Station, it would open up SH 145 over Lizard Head Pass to Cortez and the Four Corners area. A lot of really scenic territory would be very easy to visit with those two proposed Supercharger Stations.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Yes, I saw the ones planned for Montrose and Telluride and the delay for Kayenta.

I've been in contact with a city official in Montrose who handles public charging there; he had contacted Tesla for a Supercharger Station in Montrose several years ago. No idea where Tesla would want to put the new Supercharger Station in Montrose, not that I wouldn't have suggestions if they asked. That one (along with Poncha Springs) would open up US 50 over Monarch Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, US 550 over Red Mountain Pass to Durango and Farmington and, along with the Telluride Supercharger Station, it would open up SH 145 over Lizard Head Pass to Cortez and the Four Corners area. A lot of really scenic territory would be very easy to visit with those two proposed Supercharger Stations.
Yes. The weird thing to me was that they didn't include Montrose along with Poncha Springs from the start, as they're at opposite ends of a 125 mile mountainous leg that includes a 5,500 ft. climb (followed by a 3,800 ft. descent) when eastbound. I'm glad they're putting the one in Telluride for the reason you state.

Putting one in Gunnison eventually so people can easily make it to/from Crested Butte in winter, as well as eliminating any worries at all about the Montrose - Poncha Springs leg, seems an obvious addition. And I still want to see SCs in Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Springs and South Fork to cover all of U.S. 160, and it wouldn't hurt to have one in Ouray or Silverton, unlikely though that may be; at least there are some Tesla L2s in Ouray.

GRA said:
Yes. The weird thing to me was that they didn't include Montrose along with Poncha Springs from the start, as they're at opposite ends of a 125 mile mountainous leg that includes a 5,500 ft. climb (followed by a 3,800 ft. descent) when eastbound. I'm glad they're putting the one in Telluride for the reason you state.

Putting one in Gunnison eventually so people can easily make it to/from Crested Butte in winter, as well as eliminating any worries at all about the Montrose - Poncha Springs leg, seems an obvious addition. And I still want to see SCs in Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Springs and South Fork to cover all of U.S. 160, and it wouldn't hurt to have one in Ouray or Silverton, unlikely though that may be; at least there are some Tesla L2s in Ouray.
The only one on your list I was surprised not to see is Cortez. The others seem rather low priority given how many other parts of the country need better coverage. Mountain trip legs are much easier to do than interstate legs because of lower overall speeds and reduced drag from the considerable altitude, IME. The proposed Supercharger Stations will have things well covered in western Colorado if/when they happen. The one I really want is Poncha Springs (although I'd rather have it in Salida). That would save me 40 miles on trips to Denver and that route over Monarch Pass and through South Park is more fun to drive and more scenic than I-70.

dgpcolorado said:

Yes !!!

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:

The only one on your list I was surprised not to see is Cortez. The others seem rather low priority given how many other parts of the country need better coverage. Mountain trip legs are much easier to do than interstate legs because of lower overall speeds and reduced drag from the considerable altitude, IME. The proposed Supercharger Stations will have things well covered in western Colorado if/when they happen. The one I really want is Poncha Springs (although I'd rather have it in Salida). That would save me 40 miles on trips to Denver and that route over Monarch Pass and through South Park is more fun to drive and more scenic than I-70.
Yes, most of these are filling in the remaining gaps on smaller roads, unlike Cortez which is need to allow travel to Mesa Verde along with travel to/from Moab, Blanding and Kayenta. Pagosa Springs provides the most direct access to western Colorado from the Santa Fe/Taos area, instead of having to detour over to Alamosa. South Fork is 126 miles at the opposite end of S.R. 149 from Gunnison, and will be a low priority. Durango serves as the eastern gateway to Mesa Verde rather than Mancos, while doing double-duty as the southern end of 550.

The intent of the list from my perspective isn't to see how far apart we can safely put SCs, although that will be the initial stage, but to ultimately make them as convenient as gas stations to eliminate any remaining range worries so people can just drive the cars without planning, which requires spacing them no more than about 1/2 hour apart, and at or near all major road intersections. I would probably add one in Ridgway as well, although the Telluride one ( a 31 mile round trip detour from Placerville) will have to serve initially for travel along 145/90 west to Moab for small battery cars. As traffic is likely to be light on that route, it's not a high priority. I'd probably add one in Silverton, as it sits between two passes. Future SCs should also go in Leadville and Fairplay, and Granby or Grand Lake to cover the west end of Trail Ridge Road - I'd say that last one's a higher priority than most of the ones I've already listed, probably tied with Cortez.

Back