UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Philips high-output halogens I referenced a bit earlier seem to do a noticeably better job in fog than the OEM bulbs. I drove in fog this evening and was pleasantly surprised. The results in normal night driving are, as noted, unimpressive and only really better in complete darkness.

After reading this post, well at least most of it, I bought and installed these in my 2013 SV QC/LED.

Took all of five minutes to install. I did grind the metal tab a bit as the original poster and shimmed the bulb with zip ties exactly as the original poster did. Lights are VERY bright compared to the sad orange halogens. Beam pattern is good but not great. Still obvious that there are two hot spots per bulb and the passenger's side bulb needed tweaking so one of the two not spots wasn't pointing too far down.

Overall it's great to be able to have instant-on high beam flashing and much brighter and longer reaching lights on our two lane backroads.

Thanks again to the original poster for all the information.

camasleaf said:
I just finish installing the LEDs and drive around for 10 minutes. It is a bit foggy out and it does seem to have an unusual pattern. I took the 2015 (LED low beam) out too but the fog is not ... stable to compare. It looks to me that the 2015 has similar coverage and patterns, but because of the lower output irregularities are not so visible. Is it true that H9 stock has 2100 lumens and the LED 3600? Also important: is is legal?

If the bulbs do not have DOT printed on the base the answer is NO

Just did mine with these and they work great, giving nice crisp WHITE light (i hate blue tinted ones):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWY4XV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to install but i am concerned with the back plate, i just tiewrapped both sides for now as close to possible to mount but what are good solutions/ideas for this piece?

bolshevik36 said:
Just did mine with these and they work great, giving nice crisp WHITE light (i hate blue tinted ones):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWY4XV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to install but i am concerned with the back plate, i just tiewrapped both sides for now as close to possible to mount but what are good solutions/ideas for this piece?

I just end looked at these, looks like good item. What were your concerns about the back plate.. Loose, to tight, rattles in place or something else?

How did the dust cover go back on?
Did you have room for the connector?
Also what chip set did you get?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on these, credit card ready to shoot Amazon pay button.....

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "side" of the housing. It looks like the one in the Leaf S photos here. It does appear that it will be hard to turn, so I'll wear heavy gloves for that. Counter-clockwise to disengage it...?

Yup I pulled the trigger and ordered this as well. Lets see if we can offend some more folks who are over sensitive.

bazzmclean said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "side" of the housing. It looks like the one in the Leaf S photos here. It does appear that it will be hard to turn, so I'll wear heavy gloves for that. Counter-clockwise to disengage it...?

Yup I pulled the trigger and ordered this as well. Lets see if we can offend some more folks who are over sensitive.

Any update on this? Did you get them installed?

squbbles said:
bazzmclean said:
LeftieBiker said:

Any update on this? Did you get them installed?

Installed these on 2014 S fit prefect nice clearance between back dust cover and heat sink fan. Connector and wiring tucks inside past bulb to allow air movement inside dust cover.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-8000LM-Headlight-Conversion/dp/B01LWY4XV8/ref=sr_1_1/159-7528579-3678759?ie=UTF8&qid=1490553251&sr=8-1&keywords=B01lwy4xv8

Also installed these switches to fill in the two blank position on left switch panel, got one fog and one camera switch. They are 20$ but are a prefect it, snap right in. Installing them I removed the lower panel cover under left dash very easy, undid the two screws holding switch Assembly. Removed old one snapped in new. These do come with connector plug and pigtails.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Push-switch-217-12V-Nissan-OEM-Replacement-FOG-LIGHTS-Leaf-Sentra-Rogue-/252771260511?vxp=mtr

Running lights.
https://www.amazon.com/LEDKINGDOMUS-18SMD-Daytime-Running-Waterproof/dp/B01981ZRHW/ref=sr_1_1/159-7528579-3678759?ie=UTF8&qid=1490554626&sr=8-1&keywords=b01981zrhw

Inside light and cargo.
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Bright-Chipsets-inches-DE3175/dp/B0173E7UC6/ref=sr_1_1/159-7528579-3678759?ie=UTF8&qid=1490555042&sr=8-1&keywords=B0173e7uc6

Also, Paul, where did you power your DRLs from?

Slot #72, which is empty in the fuse box (the rectangular box between 12v battery & firewall), will power the DRLs upon activating power, but the DRLs also turn on when charging!

Some folks like it, but I'm seeking another power source, aside from wire #57 in PDM (don't like messing with that box/harness).

You will find info on 72 & 57 on other threads here...

Any input appreciated.

Hi,

I recently bought a 2017 Nissan Leaf S and it uses the H13 bulb. I bought LED H13 hi/lo bulbs and installed them. I test drove my Leaf with the LED H13's and I find them pointing too high for my taste.

Does anyone know how to adjust the aim on the headlights. I couldn't find a screw port or anything online for the information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KinDred

kindred said:
Hi,

I recently bought a 2017 Nissan Leaf S and it uses the H13 bulb. I bought LED H13 hi/lo bulbs and installed them. I test drove my Leaf with the LED H13's and I find them pointing too high for my taste.

Does anyone know how to adjust the aim on the headlights. I couldn't find a screw port or anything online for the information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KinDred

i have the same issue and looking to adjust the aim of the headlights. i tried the blue knob and it is not moving. any ideas?

Did my upgrade two years ago, still very happy with the setup. Just replaced my fog light with LED too, that's whole lot more difficult than the high beam though, I guess Nissan didn't expect people to change that bulb. Almost all of my lights are LEDs now, except the reverse.

There are 100 different brands and models to choose from on Amazon. Any recommendations on brand and how do I know which model? I've got a 2016 SL

Thanks

dbfoerster said:
There are 100 different brands and models to choose from on Amazon. Any recommendations on brand and how do I know which model? I've got a 2016 SL

Thanks

I feel your Pain! I recently replaced the high beams with these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXMIRY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1). Note that they are like most of them in that there are chips on two opposite sides. I figured the reflector would distribute the light sufficiently, I was wrong. There is a definite beam pattern that can be adjusted by aligning the bulb (orientation of the chips) in the housing of the reflector. With these there is a very small screw which can be removed and the white plastic hub can be rotated into three different positions. One of the bulbs lined up for me using one of the alternate positions. The other bulb required some dremeling to get it right.

With this knowledge I then looked for some "better" bulbs for my Honda Accord and found these:
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075J89RYP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1)
I am hopeful that they will eliminate the issues I described above. I just got them and will hopefully install this weekend.

Back