Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alozzy said:
@Turbo3 Just curious, do you think you'll be able to develop a version of Leaf Spy that will work with the 2018 Leaf?
Yes, that will be possible to have LeafSpy work with the 2018 Leaf. It may take a little time to get all (most?) of the current features working. Battery cell voltages and temperatures works. Ambient temperatures works. Reading SOC, AHr, SOH, Hx and Gids needs some work to find where they moved them. The current method of controlling VSP does not work so need to investigate. They may have blocked that feature. Reading DTCs works and I think clearing should also work but did not try. Service functions Door Locks, Headlight, Interior lights should probably work too. Reading ECU versions works. Reading Climate control settings is not working so need to be investigate. 12v battery voltage works.

Nissan has a new dash and therefore new ECU to control it. The odometer reading that LeafSpy tries to read from the old Comb Meter ECU will return an error message resulting in no odometer value being read and no update on the screen. Need to find address of new dash ECU.

I will be updating LeafSpy Pro so when connected to a 2018 Leaf it does not display garbage data but defaults to displaying 0 for those values that have changed location and the new location is not known yet.

Jim, it was good to see you tonight! I noticed that Tony Williams posted a photo of the LeafSpy readout from the 2018 LEAF. Hope you don't mind me sharing it here as proof that it will work, even though some adjustments might be needed, as you said above.

2y2WOZP

mnlleafcan

surfingslovak said:
Jim, it was good to see you tonight! I noticed that Tony Williams posted a photo of the LeafSpy readout from the 2018 LEAF. Hope you don't mind me sharing it here as proof that it will work, even though some adjustments might be needed, as you said above.

2y2WOZP

mnlleafcan
The next release of LeafSpy Pro will display the correct SOC and AHr reading for a 2018 Leaf which in this case would be SOC = 76% and AHr = 113. Still need to work on finding Hx and odometer values.

lorenfb said:
alozzy said:
Nice work @turbo3, had a feeling you would be out in front on this ;)

There were doubts?

doubts were expressed by tech who received bulletin detailing failures on various models (no LEAFs) when OBD readers were used by customers. It was implied that changes would be made for data available without "special access." It was his speculation that the LEAF could be affected by the fallout of this issue. Great that 2018 seems to be OK and even better yet that Nissan North America seems to support what Jim is doing. Hope that continues.

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
alozzy said:
Nice work @turbo3, had a feeling you would be out in front on this ;)

There were doubts?

doubts were expressed by tech who received bulletin detailing failures on various models (no LEAFs) when OBD readers were used by customers. It was implied that changes would be made for data available without "special access." It was his speculation that the LEAF could be affected by the fallout of this issue. Great that 2018 seems to be OK and even better yet that Nissan North America seems to support what Jim is doing. Hope that continues.
If what I observed on this early 2018 Leaf are true and not limited to this one test car then they have indeed blocked OBD readers from working as there is no CAN activity on the OBDII connector for the OBD reader to read. (When using the OBD reader to monitor the CAN bus.)

My speculation is they have isolated the OBDII socket from the real CAN buses to protect the integrity of the CAN communications. This is important given the damage shorting out the CAN bus can do by plugging in a defective OBDII adapter like the Konnwei with the wrong termination resistor.

I would not say NIssan supports my activity in any way. It would be more correct to say they tolerate it.

What they have done is what I would have done to protect the CAN bus.

Turbo3 said:
ClarD said:
In the http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Spy_Pro it says
"calibrate the 12 volt battery voltage", but I can't find that. in my LeafSpy Pro v0.39.37
A DMM shows 12.28v while LeafSpy shows 12.88
That is old documentation. The 12 volts is now read from the Leaf directly.

It is the 12 volts as seen and measured by the VCM ECU.
Out of curiosity, how long has the displayed value been coming from the VCM ECU?

cwerdna said:
Turbo3 said:
ClarD said:
In the http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Spy_Pro it says
"calibrate the 12 volt battery voltage", but I can't find that. in my LeafSpy Pro v0.39.37
A DMM shows 12.28v while LeafSpy shows 12.88
That is old documentation. The 12 volts is now read from the Leaf directly.

It is the 12 volts as seen and measured by the VCM ECU.
Out of curiosity, how long has the displayed value been coming from the VCM ECU?
I would need to check my old code but I think that change was at least two years ago if not longer.

Version 0.29.17 reads from the VCM which was release in Dec 2013. Probably all versions from Play Store have it.

Turbo3 said:
If what I observed on this early 2018 Leaf are true and not limited to this one test car then they have indeed blocked OBD readers from working as there is no CAN activity on the OBDII connector for the OBD reader to read. (When using the OBD reader to monitor the CAN bus.)

Then there is another communications port located elsewhere on the Leaf, i.e. the Nissan Consult III diagnostic tool
requires access to the Leaf's ECUs, right? If so, then that access port would require a special adapter, i.e. not the typical
OBDII one.

Turbo3 said:
My speculation is they have isolated the OBDII socket from the real CAN buses to protect the integrity of the CAN communications. This is important given the damage shorting out the CAN bus can do by plugging in a defective OBDII adapter like the Konnwei with the wrong termination resistor.

Most vehicles' OBDII CAN lines (5V signals) are able to be shorted to ground or +12V. So the Leaf is an exception?

lorenfb said:
Turbo3 said:

Then there is another communications port located elsewhere on the Leaf, i.e. the Nissan Consult III diagnostic tool
requires access to the Leaf's ECUs, right? If so, then that access port would require a special adapter, i.e. not the typical
OBDII one.

Turbo3 said:

Most vehicles' OBDII CAN lines (5V signals) are able to be shorted to ground or +12V. So the Leaf is an exception?
The Consult 3+ uses the standard OBDII connector under the dash. That part has not changed. It is just that the normal communications between ECUs does not show up on that connector of the 2018 I tested. But the Consult 3+ (and therefore LeafSpy) can still communicate with the ECUs. We just can not snoop on ECU to ECU communications.

Understand I am basing all this on a sample of one but it makes sense to me. Nissan is adding emergency braking and Pro-Pilot feature and it makes sense to protect the CAN bus from external interference. The bad batch of Konnwei OBDII adapters with the wrong termination resistor that shorted out the CAN bus shows how this can happen.

Also at the 2018 Leaf introduction while I was testing LeafSpy the Nissan engineer told me they had made changes that would make things more difficult for me. This fits right in with that statement.

Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:
Turbo3 said:

OBDII one.

Turbo3 said:

The Consult 3+ uses the standard OBDII connector under the dash. That part has not changed. It is just that the normal communications between ECUs does not show up on that connector of the 2018 I tested. But the Consult 3+ (and therefore LeafSpy) can still communicate with the ECUs. We just can not snoop on ECU to ECU communications.

Understand I am basing all this on a sample of one but it makes sense to me. Nissan is adding emergency braking and Pro-Pilot feature and it makes sense to protect the CAN bus from external interference. The bad batch of Konnwei OBDII adapters with the wrong termination resistor that shorted out the CAN bus shows how this can happen.

Thanks. So maybe at least LeafSpy may be able to read DTCs and reset them? If so, this will be valuable.

lorenfb said:
Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:
OBDII one.

Thanks. So maybe at least LeafSpy may be able to read DTCs and reset them? If so, this will be valuable.
Already tested reading and clear DTCs on a 2018. Works just fine.

Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:
Turbo3 said:

Already tested reading and clear DTCs on a 2018. Works just fine.

That's great!

So based on what you observed on the '18 Leaf's OBDII port, it appears that Nissan has reverted to using that port
as typically used by most auto OEMs, i.e. to have limited access to only ECUs necessary for troubleshooting in the field.
All the intra-ECU communications where data flows between ECUs is only accessible by directly connecting,
e.g. via a scope, to each internal CAN. Besides the OBDII ECU shorting issue, the '18 Leaf's bus structures have
become more complex, i.e. you mentioned new Leaf features (kinda autopilot) requiring new ECUs. So now with
the '18, each ECU, e.g. the BMS, must be accessed directly like when using the Consult 3+, and queried for the desired
data, e.g. Ahrs, which might not be available as before and/or require an access code or a logon to Nissan.
Furthermore, Nissan may now feel that too much data, e.g. related to the battery, have been exposed to the public
in the past.

WetEV said:
Logs are not uploading to Dropbox. Is there something I can do to diagnosis? No errors or warning messages...

what tools are you using to read the logs. Leaflogger? I started to collect and upload to dropbox last week, it was working then, but the leaf logger didn't seem to use the geo data for the map. If i knew how to write code I'd take a look at it but Im just not that smart or care to grind through it to get me to results.

DuncanCunningham said:
WetEV said:
Logs are not uploading to Dropbox. Is there something I can do to diagnosis? No errors or warning messages...

what tools are you using to read the logs. Leaflogger? I started to collect and upload to dropbox last week, it was working then, but the leaf logger didn't seem to use the geo data for the map. If i knew how to write code I'd take a look at it but Im just not that smart or care to grind through it to get me to results.

I'm looking at the files on Dropbox. I can upload them manually using the Dropbox app on my phone. They are CSV files that you can load into a spreadsheet or read with a program easily.

Leaflogger website has a problem for a long time with maps not always displaying, different topic. Try logging out and logging back in.

WetEV said:
Did you update to the new version with the updated Dropbox API?

Back