Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
How many leafs we're delivered in 2010 to meet their self imposed deadline?

How many were then delivered in Jan and then Feb.

6 in December - but to customers not related to Nissan and not under NDA. This last part is crucial. Jan/Feb quite a few of us got cars.

Having said that, there are posts in FB now about some people getting employee cars soon that may not be under NDA ?

I am not an employee technically, but I am under a Space X employee order as my son, a Space X employee, was able to place an order for a family member. I was told my delivery would be "late September". All it says is that they may have gone through the Tesla employees and are moving on to the Space X employees.

palmermd said:
...All new cars launch this way...
Not even slightly true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvB5t3DXxw

...In what Nissan representatives call a "democratic" process—one which they seem to be altogether proud of—the gentleman to whom the absolute first Nissan LEAF was delivered is not an A-List celebrity (or even a B-, C- or D-Lister). Rather he is a quite normal tech industry employee from Redwood City, California, who just by the luck of the draw, happened to be the first person to get his LEAF order in when the opportunity opened up back in August...
http://www.plugincars.com/worlds-first-nissan-leaf-electric-car-delivered.html

And who was it who is claimed to have taken "delivery" of the first "production" Tesla model 3?

1.500 "production" model threes claimed for this month, and TSLA couldn't spare one?

Detroit sedans, Tesla Model 3 missing from NACTOY honors

Semifinalists for the prestigious 2018 North American Car, Truck and Utility of the Year were announced Friday morning, and the list is as notable for what did not make it as for what did.

For the first time in the award’s 25-year history, not a single Detroit-based automaker is nominated for Car of the Year — a sign of the massive market shift to sport utility vehicles over sedans...

Ironically, one of the year’s most anticipated vehicles is a sedan, the Tesla Model 3. But Tesla withdrew the Silicon Valley-made electric vehicle, saying it is focused on scaling up production and could not have a car available for jury testing...
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2017/09/15/detroit-sedans-tesla-model-missing-nactoy-honors/105623110/

Tesla Model 3 actually has 334 miles of range according to EPA data

Tesla states that its Long Range Model 3 is capable of 310 miles of driving range per single charge, but the company might be voluntarily under reporting its true driving range according to data revealed in the official EPA certification summary report for the vehicle.

First it’s important to understand how the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) calculates electric vehicle driving range using a 5-cycle procedure to determine its MPGe rating. The EPA multiplies an electric vehicle’s ideal city and highway range value by a 0.7 factor to account for real world environmental conditions such as wind resistance and other variables that contribute to increased energy consumption. Both city and highway range values are then weighted by 55% and 45% respectively, before being added together and arriving at the vehicle’s true EPA-rated range.

In the instance of Tesla’s Long Range Model 3 that reportedly uses an 80kWh battery pack, the EPA’s multi-cycle test procedure yields 495.04 actual miles attained in city driving conditions and 454.64 miles in highway testing. Using the EPA’s .7 factor and weighted formula, we can arrive at the following Model 3 city and highway true driving range.

LONG RANGE TESLA MODEL 3 CITY/HWY RANGE

495.04 miles x .7 = 346.528 miles (~557.68 kilometers)
454.64 miles x .7 = 318.248 miles (~512.17 kilometers)
MODEL 3 EPA-RATED COMBINED RANGE

(346.528 x .55) + (318.248 * .45) = 333.8 miles (537.2 kilometers)...
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-epa-rating-334-miles-long-range/

For a good discussion of epa range and which other BEVs have diverged from the 70%-of-as-tested standard, see:

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/epa-certification-data.4639/page-5

The ability of manufactures to fudge "official" range figures, both by using optional multipliers and voluntary reductions, is why, IMO, the efficiency ratings are more meaningful in comparing BEV efficiency.

BTW, still no city/highway numbers published for the 2018 LEAF, yet.

Anyone get any hints from the Nissan officials at the preview events, and want to pass them on, here?

Guess the Monroney contest: Tesla 3 and LEAF 2 efficiency ratings
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24340&start=10

FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share:
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/faq-checklist-of-features-for-new-owners-to-share.4806/

At my work a Model 3 has shown up at least once. One was that of a mystery driver (I didn't go talk to him) who said his wife worked for Tesla.

A Model 3 showed up again (might've been the same car and driver) and we found who the driver is. He's an employee of my work (NOT Tesla and NOT SpaceX nor do we have any affiliation w/either company, AFAIK) who I know a little as I've worked w/him a bit in a few times in the past. I didn't go out to check it out nor reach out to him as I've been busy and don't care that much. I'll bring it up with him if I see him.

edatoakrun said:
1.500 "production" model threes claimed for this month, and TSLA couldn't spare one?

Detroit sedans, Tesla Model 3 missing from NACTOY honors

Semifinalists for the prestigious 2018 North American Car, Truck and Utility of the Year were announced Friday morning, and the list is as notable for what did not make it as for what did.

For the first time in the award’s 25-year history, not a single Detroit-based automaker is nominated for Car of the Year — a sign of the massive market shift to sport utility vehicles over sedans...

Ironically, one of the year’s most anticipated vehicles is a sedan, the Tesla Model 3. But Tesla withdrew the Silicon Valley-made electric vehicle, saying it is focused on scaling up production and could not have a car available for jury testing...
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2017/09/15/detroit-sedans-tesla-model-missing-nactoy-honors/105623110/
Better to have it win car of the year the next year, when the average joe can actually get their hands on one, instead of building more pent-up demand for a vehicle that has more reservations than any BEV has ever had or had produced. Once the Model 3 is out in volume, you'll see the BEV market really heat up as competitors finally wake up.

Durandal said:
Better to have it win car of the year the next year, when the average joe can actually get their hands on one, instead of building more pent-up demand for a vehicle that has more reservations than any BEV has ever had or had produced.

This is my interpretation as well. I guess Tesla is just too proud to admit that it's what they are doing.

If TSLA is still on schedule for ~1,650 model 3 production by end of this week, it seems to be making efforts to keep them out of site.

No Model 3 configuration page and no public orders allowed to date:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/record-here-when-you-receive-your-invite-to-build-your-model-3.93330/

No reveal of model 3 "supercharger" access options, if any, AFAIK.

Any 3s delivered for less than ~$55k, yet?

...Its window sticker indicates that in addition to the $35,000 base price of a Model 3, it has the Long Range battery pack ($9,000) that gives it a 310-mile EPA range rating, Deep Blue Metallic paint ($1,000), and 19-inch alloy wheels ($1,500).

The car is also fitted with both the Enhanced Autopilot suite of seven cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors, and forward radar ($5,000) along with the software for future "Full Self-Driving Capability" ($3,000).

Including a mandatory $1,200 delivery fee—and consistent with Tesla's statement that it would prioritize delivery of fully-featured cars at the start of production—the bottom line of this specific car is $55,500.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112887_tesla-model-3-interior-details-features-emerge-from-pair-of-videos

Deliveries of long range cars are first, it's stated on the order status pages for reservation holders. There is an option to choose time based on options, same as when they did the S. This is as of now.

EVDRIVER said:
Deliveries of long range cars are first, it's stated on the order status pages for reservation holders. There is an option to choose time based on options, same as when they did the S. This is as of now.
So, how many model 3 deliveries, "as of now" compared to as of a few months ago...

scottf200 said:
Elon Musk tweets July 3, 2017

* Model 3 passed all regulatory requirements for production two weeks ahead of schedule. Expecting to complete SN1 on Friday
* Looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec
* Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3s on the 28th! Production grows exponentially, so Aug should be 100 cars and Sept above 1500.

uhAhPS8.jpg
If ~1,500 model 3's have been delivered to TSLA employees, shouldn't you be able count many hundreds of them every day, parked at the Fremont factory?

Anyone tried?

Were there monthly commitments? It's not like they are running a con. Who cares if they start in Jan, they are going to make it happen or not. If they failed and closed tomorrow the entire company would have been an amazing accomplishment but I doubt that would happen.

EVDRIVER said:
Were there monthly commitments? It's not like they are running a con. Who cares if they start in Jan, they are going to make it happen or not. If they failed and closed tomorrow the entire company would have been an amazing accomplishment but I doubt that would happen.

Nothing as strong as commitments. It all depends upon the ramp up. The timing can easily be off by a week, a month, even a quarter.
That said, Tesla did lay out goals for the ramp. Those included producing 1500 this quarter. Deliveries, if they hit that goal, would probably be in the 1200-1400 range.

As for Ed's question, people have been dropping by from time to time to see how many are being delivered. No one, to my knowledge, has gone through the employee parking lots to count how many are there.
That said, they have been reported at Fremont, SpaceX, Austin Texas and St. Paul Minnesota.

LTLFTcomposite said:
The more interesting question to me at this point is whether the ones they have made so far have had any problems.
Of course they've had problems. Expecting them not to have any problems would be the same as expecting a newborn child to sleep through the night immediately and always.

hyperionmark said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
The more interesting question to me at this point is whether the ones they have made so far have had any problems.
Of course they've had problems. Expecting them not to have any problems would be the same as expecting a newborn child to sleep through the night immediately and always.
Sure, to put more words around it then have they encountered any showstoppers, issues for which fixes are not readily apparent or identified risks that don't have appropriate mitigations.

LTLFTcomposite said:
hyperionmark said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Sure, to put more words around it then have they encountered any showstoppers, issues for which fixes are not readily apparent or identified risks that don't have appropriate mitigations.

Or maybe in other words: have there been any "falcon wing doors" issues on the Model 3?

LTLFTcomposite said:
hyperionmark said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I highly doubt anyone outside of those Model 3 owners and some Tesla employees know if there are medium to smaller ones.

I'm sure if there were something huge that was affecting every single M3 then we would hear about it though.

The pictures thread at TMC on page 85 has a report of a four 3s that were being delivered in Austin, Texas.

it certainly doesn't seem likely they've produced 1500 this month. It would be interesting to know just how close or far off they are in the production cycle, simply so I can guess when mine might be available.

In the long run, none of this matters. The X had that long, drawn out roll-out, but does that matter anymore at this point? You can just go out and buy one (assuming you have that much cash to burn).

As my wife likes to say: by the time your kid is 4, it doesn't matter if they took their first step at 8 months or 16 months.

Back