Nissan "Out-of-Warranty" support for battery pack degradation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
Valdemar said:
They want us all forget what real a-holes they can be and start lining up for the 2018 model.

Not as much forget, but rather It's time to move on, and give the new Nissan crew a chance.
I'm all for it ... with your money.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
Roadburner440 said:
Me, the dealer, and the EV hotline rep was shocked as even he said it had been awhile since he saw them cover 100%.

They want us all forget what real a-holes they can be and start lining up for the 2018 model. Given the latest developments with the 30kWh pack I think I'll keep my money in my pocket and wait a couple more years.

what manufacturer doesn't not have a walk in closet full of skeletons?

True, but the aftertaste is still strong.

Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
They want us all forget what real a-holes they can be and start lining up for the 2018 model. Given the latest developments with the 30kWh pack I think I'll keep my money in my pocket and wait a couple more years.

what manufacturer doesn't not have a walk in closet full of skeletons?

True, but the aftertaste is still strong.
And with little reason to think the next glass will not also be bitter.

Just got off of talking to Nissan support after opening an out of warranty battery replacement assistance case for my 2011 Leaf two weeks ago.

He says the official Nissan word is that all out of warranty battery assistance has been ended since last week. Fini.

peter said:
Just got off of talking to Nissan support after opening an out of warranty battery replacement assistance case for my 2011 Leaf two weeks ago.

He says the official Nissan word is that all out of warranty battery assistance has been ended since last week. Fini.

u open case a few "weeks" ago and their excuse to deny u is they stopped doing it a few "days" ago?

DaveinOlyWA said:
peter said:

u open case a few "weeks" ago and their excuse to deny u is they stopped doing it a few "days" ago?
So Dave, what do you think now of my suspicion that Nissan was just playing good guy for a while during the LEAF2 PR blitz, and would revert to their normal selves in due time ? It appears my mistake was in thinking that the assistance program would at least last through the first couple months of the roll-out. This might suggest that Nissan budgeted a small purse for assistance and it is now depleted.

Perhaps they will add more to the purse. They should, it is a lot cheaper than the negative PR they are going to catch.

They will receive negative PR on this forum only, but not in the general public. Firstly, the overwhelming majority of people do not care about EV owners and our issues. Secondly, even more people know the difference the word "assistance" and "obligation". Think again on the title of this thread... "Nissan "Out-of-Warranty" support for battery pack degradation". And some of you want to get pissed when the answer you get is no.

People, get real, please! I've spent more out of pocket on our AMG twin turbo when compared to the cost of a battery pack for a Leaf. I chose to buy the Benz, and we all chose to buy a Leaf. Nissan didn't force it down our throats, and Benz didn't tell me about the "other costs" I had to pay to keep that bad-boy running. If some of you hate the brand, then don't buy another one. I'm sure they won't go broke.

DaveinOlyWA said:
peter said:

Yes I pointed out that someone had gotten an out of warranty replacement just last week, to which his reply was "well their case was probably opened months ago."

4th bar dropped on 9/6, I opened my case on 9/7, got a battery check done 9/9. Just heard back today from him that it wasn't happening. He offered to refund my $35 battery check fee - I almost asked him if he could throw in a Starbuck's $5 gift card with that...

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
peter said:

So Dave, what do you think now of my suspicion that Nissan was just playing good guy for a while during the LEAF2 PR blitz, and would revert to their normal selves in due time ? It appears my mistake was in thinking that the assistance program would at least last through the first couple months of the roll-out. This might suggest that Nissan budgeted a small purse for assistance and it is now depleted.

Perhaps they will add more to the purse. They should, it is a lot cheaper than the negative PR they are going to catch.

nothing because there are people who started a claim after he did and got a discount. This is one case. have to see more

The guy was pretty clear that it wasn't just me being denied, but that Nissan just wasn't doing it anymore.

But if someone does get assistance for a case opened after mine, I would very much like to hear about it...

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

nothing because there are people who started a claim after he did and got a discount. This is one case. have to see more
We already know of another person who called and was also told that the post-warranty assistance program is closed.

How many more do you require ?

If the discount/support program has been terminated or ran thru its budget, I wonder what Nissan's motives were for being more accommodating in the 1st place. I have some guesses and it could be multiple motives.

- trying to prop up values of used Leafs by keeping really degraded (some older) Leafs off the used market
- they wanted more used worn Leaf batteries for Powerwall-like applications (e.g. https://www.nissan.co.uk/experience-nissan/electric-vehicle-leadership/xstorage-by-nissan.html)
- customer goodwill and PR/perception changes
- wanting to run down its inventory of battery components (e.g. cathodes, anodes, chemicals, etc.), possibly related to sale of AESC to that Chinese company or meeting some contractual obligation? maybe there's some future version that needs different inputs and they want to deplete these old ones?
- tax related (e.g. they wanted to take a hit in the form of write-off). Maybe they needed to do this within a certain timeframe (e.g. end of quarter).
- realization that full price wasn't going get them many takers and they'd lose more $ that way?

Any other guesses?

I thought this was going to be a revelation and Nissan was going to soften the blow of degrading batteries. Did they really offer an olive branch briefly for some reason only to now give us concrete shoes and push us off the pier? Hmm... how were they benefiting and what changed?

cwerdna said:
If the discount/support program has been terminated or ran thru its budget, I wonder what Nissan's motives were for being more accommodating in the 1st place. I have some guesses and it could be multiple motives.

- wanting to run down its inventory of battery components (e.g. cathodes, anodes, chemicals, etc.), possibly related to sale of AESC to that Chinese company or meeting some contractual obligation? maybe there's some future version that needs different inputs and they want to deplete these old ones?

Any other guesses?
Maybe the cost of providing a AESC-replacement battery vs. GSR Capital-replacement battery is different for NIssan? Meaning the GSR battery might cost more than the "in-house" AESC battery.

Maybe now that everything including the XStorage and the e-NV200 are moving off the 24kWh components, they are trying to minimize demand?

cwerdna said:

- trying to prop up values of used Leafs by keeping really degraded (some older) Leafs off the used market
- they wanted more used worn Leaf batteries for Powerwall-like applications (e.g. https://www.nissan.co.uk/experience-nissan/electric-vehicle-leadership/xstorage-by-nissan.html)
- tax related (e.g. they wanted to take a hit in the form of write-off). Maybe they needed to do this within a certain timeframe (e.g. end of quarter).
- realization that full price wasn't going get them many takers and they'd lose more $ that way?

Any other guesses?
Multiple motives for sure. That just makes sense.
Perhaps another: Show the battery plant buyer that "demand" exists for replacements

It had to end sometime. They didn't owe anyone anything outside the warranty. Good luck getting any other manufacturer to provide a $5,000 service outside the warranty.

Joe6pack said:
It had to end sometime. They didn't owe anyone anything outside the warranty. Good luck getting any other manufacturer to provide a $5,000 service outside the warranty.

I know of at least one manufacturer that does... Tesla! But I'm sure you didn't want to hear that. :lol:

SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:

Any other guesses?
Multiple motives for sure. That just makes sense.
Perhaps another: Show the battery plant buyer that "demand" exists for replacements

It all sounds plausible.

They may be under contract to not discount a battery because the battery plant business they have sold to the Chinese. The Chinese will decide if they want to sell a battery and at what price.

Back