Hyundai Is Preparing for Big Electric Car Future, Even With Anemic Sales of Ioniq EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via plugincars.com: http://plugincars.com/hyundai-prepa...future-even-anemic-sales-ioniq-ev-133262.html

Of all the electric cars available today, the Hyundai Ioniq Electric arguably provides the most compelling combination of decent range, at 124 miles on a single charge, and an attractive $29,500 pre-incentive price. But by offering the Ioniq Electric only in California, and keeping marketing efforts on simmer, the potential success for Hyundai’s EV is limited. . . .

The company said it was working on a long-range, 310-mile electric vehicle due around 2021. More importantly, that vehicle will run on a new dedicated platform for EVs, thus paving the way for multiple electric-vehicle offerings.

Hyundai recently confirmed its plans to offer an all-electric 240-mile Kona SUV in about 2019. (The Kona, a small SUV crossover, will be introduced as a gas model in the US in early 2018.) The EV market needs a good high-range small SUV, although it’s too early for details, including price. Hyundai also said its Genesis luxury brand could get an all-electric model in 2021.

. . . General Motors is selling about 2,000 Bolts per month compared to about 50 Ioniq EV monthly sales. The discrepancy is obviously partly explained by the fact that the Ioniq EV is only available in California. But the Ioniq also lags significantly behind the Bolt in terms of range—a shortcoming that could be corrected with new Hyundai models.

The Ioniq EV’s range—essentially the same as the new 2017 Volkswagen E-Golf, which is only now arriving at dealerships—is second only to the Chevy Bolt’s 238 miles on a single charge . . . the Ioniq’s $29,500 base price is $8,000 less than Bolt’s does not seem to be inspiring EV buyers to take one home. (Keep in mind that the 150-mile 2018 Nissan LEAF goes on sale in the US early next year.)

. . . it doesn’t help that Hyundai this month issued a recall of 218 units of the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric hatchback. The recall was based on manufacturing defects in the electric power control unit that could cause a stall and a risk of a crash. Dealers will inspect and replace the problem, as necessary, for free. Hyundai will begin notifying owners on Sept. 29—or owners can call the automaker at 800-633-5151. . . .

Forget about Hyundai. You are sending American money to south korea. They will get taken over or blown up soon.

I don't know why this country has developed selling the Korean cars.

powersurge said:
Forget about Hyundai. You are sending American money to south korea. They will get taken over or blown up soon.

You do realize that Hyundai makes cars in the US now?

It's like the 1980's and 1990's when pro-Detroit folks were claiming that Camrys and Altimas and Accords weren't American even though they were built in US factories with as much US content as a Big 3 automaker, who conveniently ignored that they also built some vehicles in Canada and Mexico while waving the Red, White, and Blue around.

Oh and BTW, does that mean someone who buys a Jeep or a Hellcat or a RAM is sending their money to Italy? Because Chrysler is now Italian-owned, hence the name Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles. Note the EYE-talian name comes first. So I find it ironic that someone who owns a Leaf is complaining about sending American money abroad, because Nissan is either a Japanese or a French company depending on how you look at it.

And if NK decides to invade, it's basically WWIII and we'll have bigger issues to worry about.

RonDawg said:
And if NK decides to invade, it's basically WWIII and we'll have bigger issues to worry about.
I doubt he knows the difference between South and North Korea

powersurge said:

:?: Huh?

Hyundai makes very nice automobiles. The Koreans make outstanding batteries. Good for them if they can expand the reach of BEVs!

I just wish they were more serious now..
Trying to decide what to do to replace my Leaf.
My goal is a car that will do my commute to work and back on a charge.
That's not the Ioniq..
It's the Bolt for sure..
Teslas (although I don't personally like the look. They are nice.. Just not my style)
New Leaf.. Except.. The new Leaf is 150. I need 120, and in the winter after owning the car for a few years.. Would the new Leaf do it? Maybe not..
So why am I commenting on a Hyundai thread?
Well, today I found out that apparently there is (was?) a lease option with unlimited mileage...
That wouldn't get me what I want, but it might get me enough (I could probably make it with just one quick charge stop) for 3 years, when there would be more options for me...

That might be worth not quite getting what I want now..

So I start to look into it as a possible option...
And they still only sell the Ioniq EV in California?? Not Oregon???
Oh well...

desiv

Back