Electrical line noise while charging at 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
It's not a 120v issue. Read the early threads . . . . 240v only.
Our early vin was one of the 1st that was corrected
As for the post just a few higher relatning to one's spouse not being able to hear it ... that just means their hearing is limited above a certain khz level. Gary Gid came over to hear our noise, and he couldn't ... acknowledging his hearing at high frequency is toast. When the dealer came out though ... they could easily hear the noise.
One follow up - (I'm NOT saying which dealership it was) when we 1st contacted the LOCAL dealer, they blew us off. One closer to us was much more understanding, and eventually helped us resolve the issue. We got a survey relating the the 1st dealership and we posted our dissatisfaction how they were not helpful. Apparently they not only GET those surveys ... they know WHO they come from. The service manager called me on it ... that's how I know. They've been very unhelpful ever since. So just be aware to face their wrath if you ding them for poor service. That's the last time I fill out a survey - now that I see they can use it as a weapon against you.

I don't understand why you would continue to go back to them in the first place. In your example, they aren't even the closest dealer. I usually vote with my wallet, but depending on the infraction if I received unquestionably poor service I'd not only rate them low on their own survey, but I'd file a BBB complaint and send a copy to their state attorney general. You also have FB, Twitter, and Yelp these days.

z0ner said:
I don't understand why you would continue to go back to them in the first place. ....snip....
convenience ... they were right off the freeway on the way home from work. But yea .... not any more.

Yet again resurrecting this old thread.... I recently discovered that my 2012 Leaf, during 240V charging, causes my TED5000 power-line communications to fail. It's been doing that since it was new (I have data to prove it) but I only discovered the problem last month when I started reviewing my TED5000 data in detail. Obviously, I'm way out of warranty now but I wonder if I have any recourse at this point? Anybody here have insights to offer?

TPeterson said:
Yet again resurrecting this old thread.... I recently discovered that my 2012 Leaf, during 240V charging, causes my TED5000 power-line communications to fail. It's been doing that since it was new (I have data to prove it) but I only discovered the problem last month when I started reviewing my TED5000 data in detail. Obviously, I'm way out of warranty now but I wonder if I have any recourse at this point? Anybody here have insights to offer?
I'm having the same issue - I recently bought a Duosida EVSE and installed a 240v outlet. I ended up buying a powerline filter and placing it on the circuit where I've wired the TED devices. It helps, but it doesn't completely solve the problem.

Just a question on interaction with inverters: I have a 2017 (so it should be the "fixed" charger). But I also have proprietary TenKSolar PV inverters, which are no longer manufactured... so I really don't want to fry an inverter. Should I be taking extra precautions when charging at 240v during the day-time?

garsh said:
TPeterson said:
I'm having the same issue - I recently bought a Duosida EVSE and installed a 240v outlet. I ended up buying a powerline filter and placing it on the circuit where I've wired the TED devices. It helps, but it doesn't completely solve the problem.
Well, I did finally solve my issue using the power-line filter from TED (which they said is no longer carried, but they did ship it so they may still have some stock) that I found via Google. I think that the X-10 filter is likely very similar. I had previously tried a generic "power line filter" from Amazon and it did not solve the problem, presumably because it was designed for higher frequencies than PLC uses. You don't say what sort of filter you have, but if it's not one designed for PLC use you may want to get a different one.

specialgreen said:
Just a question on interaction with inverters: I have a 2017 (so it should be the "fixed" charger). But I also have proprietary TenKSolar PV inverters, which are no longer manufactured... so I really don't want to fry an inverter. Should I be taking extra precautions when charging at 240v during the day-time?
No. The issue here is noise which interrupts communications over the power lines. We are not talking about signals which are large enough to damage an inverter.

TPeterson said:
Well, I did finally solve my issue using the power-line filter from TED (which they said is no longer carried, but they did ship it so they may still have some stock) that I found via Google. I think that the X-10 filter is likely very similar. I had previously tried a generic "power line filter" from Amazon and it did not solve the problem, presumably because it was designed for higher frequencies than PLC uses. You don't say what sort of filter you have, but if it's not one designed for PLC use you may want to get a different one.
I'm actually using an X10 filter. I may have to obtain a TED-specific one, but they were harder to find & more expensive.

garsh said:
I'm actually using an X10 filter. I may have to obtain a TED-specific one, but they were harder to find & more expensive.
To be clear, is this the one you're using? I found the TED version here for the same price, but without free shipping. I'd be really surprised if they're actually much different inside. OTOH, if you have the plug-in version, that's the wrong remedy for this situation.

TPeterson said:
To be clear, is this the one you're using?
Yep, that's the one.

Here's the strange thing. I've isolated a single 15-amp circuit using this filter. I have two MTU's monitoring two 240v circuits, and a single Gateway all connected to this one protected circuit. I would think this would isolate all of the communication from any other noise from the panel.

When the Duosida charger is active, I continue to obtain voltage & current information for the circuit with the Duosida on it, but I appear to lose the signal for the other circuit (voltage goes to 0 as reported from the gateway).

Back