End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BufordLeaf2 said:
This is actually my 2nd Leaf. In GA we had a $5k tax credit in addition to the federal credit, but unlike the federal credit, GA allowed it to be taken on leased cars. The tax credit ended 6/30/15; I leased this car 45 days prior. Without the tax credit I never would've leased either Leaf.
Actually, that is not quite correct concerning the federal tax rebate. Yes, technically it is Nissan not the owner who receives the federal tax rebate on a leased vehicle, but they turn around and hand the full amount to you as though it were a down payment on your lease. So, you actually get the $7500 as a credit now instead of a tax rebate at the end of the tax year. Some other manufacturers do not do it that way, however.

Correct. Nissan sells the car to NMAC, so NMAC gets the federal credit. That credit flows thru to the lessee as a buy-down of the lease.

BufordLeaf2 said:
I agree; the 150 mile range isn't enough of an improvement.

This is actually my 2nd Leaf. In GA we had a $5k tax credit in addition to the federal credit, but unlike the federal credit, GA allowed it to be taken on leased cars. The tax credit ended 6/30/15; I leased this car 45 days prior. Without the tax credit I never would've leased either Leaf.

The residual on my car is $9800. They will have to discount the buyout by at least $6500 or they'll be getting it back. It'll be 3 years old with 45k miles. Thanks for your advice. I suppose I'll begin contacting dealers after the 1st of the year.

I'd get comfortable with the idea that you will not be getting anything like that, a $3,300 car after a 3 year lease? probably not going to happen. If you do, please do share. that would mean market prices are in that same range. then I can consider getting a car for my kids that i can afford.

You're likely correct. $3300 would indeed be a steal. But if they bring back the across-the-board discounts for each lease class, I might have a prayer. Since my Leaf will be 3 years old at the end of the lease, I figure it'll have at least 3 more years of good battery life. I won't buy it unless the cost to do so is approximately the same as the cost of gas to drive my '04 Camry for 3 years. I plan to sell the Camry if I buy the Leaf. We have a total of 4 cars at the moment for just 2 people. One HAS to go!

Does anyone have information on dealers that will work with you via phone for end of lease? The local guys in Boston have been very unhelpful and don't seem to want the business. They seem to think that Nissan has to tell me the incentives and Nissan tells me its the dealer.
I want to buy my 2014 SL if they off a bit of incentive. Otherwise I have to turn it in. I can't believe how much of a hassle this has been.

sts9fan said:
Does anyone have information on dealers that will work with you via phone for end of lease? The local guys in Boston have been very unhelpful and don't seem to want the business. They seem to think that Nissan has to tell me the incentives and Nissan tells me its the dealer.
I want to buy my 2014 SL if they off a bit of incentive. Otherwise I have to turn it in. I can't believe how much of a hassle this has been.

You can always try this guy. He is willing to work with people out of state but at some piont he had to handle the worst of us and stopped for a while. he might still be up for it. He is not a BS'er. he will tell you the deals he is allowed to offer. once you get the numbers, decide if you want him to process it and go with it.

His name is Todd Grace and his number is 801-693-7118 and he works out of the Jerry Seiner Nissan Dealership in North Salt Lake in Utah (801) 683-0293. Send him your VIN number and how long the lease is (or was), mileage of the car, color etc.

Ask him what he needs to get the numbers and what he'll need from you to process the deal once you are ready. Let him present you with the deal. Think about the deal. Decide if it's going to work out for you and just do it. He probably has dates when the deals start and end. Good luck.

he's helped a number of people on this forum and some of us have been a rigmarole to deal with, so that might be why he might not entertain you.. so be nice with him. he's not a typical car sales guy.

DuncanCunningham said:
sts9fan said:
I had already contacted him. Unfortunately they no longer do Nissan.
Really? Shoot. I'd better check into that. I wonder if we'll lose the fast DC station there.

Was Todd able to answer you?

Yes. He was very nice but obviously couldn't help. If you go to the website there is no Nissan.

So has anyone decided to buy/lease a new 2018 Leaf? They look very nice, but 150 miles is just not cutting it for me in 2017 for a new gen electric car. If anything, I think waiting until 2019 for the >200 mile range car is the smart play. Still very shocked Nissan did not make this an option in 2018.

150 miles not enough. I can understand. 150 miles is quite enough for me but real miles... Heater on, dead of winter through snow and ice.. slow traffic.. 150 miles is fine.. which translates to a car that can do 200+ and you'd not have to charge it up all the way for normal driving making public charging, which I don't want to do, a less likely option.

sts9fan said:
DuncanCunningham said:
sts9fan said:
I had already contacted him. Unfortunately they no longer do Nissan.
Really? Shoot. I'd better check into that. I wonder if we'll lose the fast DC station there.

Was Todd able to answer you?

Yes. He was very nice but obviously couldn't help. If you go to the website there is no Nissan.
The dealership was bought by another in the area. They are still Nissan, just the owner changed.

I'm sure the answer can be found somewhere in the 200 pages of this thread, but I can't find it.

- How soon before the end of the lease will Nissan contact me in regards to inspection and return?
- Are they still offering lease extensions to bridge the gap to wide availability on the 2?

I'll need to check the paperwork for the actual end of lease date, but I leased it on Christmas in 2014.

The 3 free months thing ended, but if your lease expires in December I'm sure they'll extend you until you can get into a 2018. They don't want to lose you.

Usually it's been the dealer I leased from that contacts me, you should have got something by now. The independent inspection by AIM (Alliance) is good for 90 days so you can set that up anytime now. They're booked about a week or two out, around here anyway.

You can order a 2018 now. They'll likely waive any minor chargeable dings you have, even over the typical $500, as the 2018 won't be discounted much at first.

So, I ended my extended lease on the 2015. It was easy. AIM came yesterday and now the inspection includes more photos, from every conceivable angle. I had some scrapes and a dent, and AIM's system automatically calculated the chargeable amount to me, $384, which I'll be paying as I didn't lease another Nissan. Tires were fine. They check for the L1 and manuals, but not the tire pump/sealant kit or the SD card.

Then drove the car straight to my nearby dealership and "grounded " it as they say. Dealer took my keys, recorded the mileage from the photo on my phone that I had just taken, filled out the rest of the return form, without even looking at the car, and we were done. I took my plates off and left.

On the form, he had checked off that the L1, SD card, and manuals were all there. (They were anyway) He was also supposed to check for the number of capacity bars remaining, but he just listed N/A. He knew nothing about heat degradation. He thought cold did the same type of permanent damage.

Cancelled my registration online. We don't even return plates anymore! Removed the car from my insurance policy using Liberty Mutual 's app.
Called the Leaf team and they had me fax them the registration cancellation receipt to process my excise tax abatement, and . . . Done!

I enjoyed both Leafs. I sure hope a 60 kWh eNV200 is here by 2020, I want a campervan.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, I ended my extended lease on the 2015. It was easy. AIM came yesterday and now the inspection includes more photos, from every conceivable angle. I had some scrapes and a dent, and AIM's system automatically calculated the chargeable amount to me, $384, which I'll be paying as I didn't lease another Nissan. Tires were fine. They check for the L1 and manuals, but not the tire pump/sealant kit or the SD card.

Then drove the car straight to my nearby dealership and "grounded " it as they say. Dealer took my keys, recorded the mileage from the photo on my phone that I had just taken, filled out the rest of the return form, without even looking at the car, and we were done. I took my plates off and left.

On the form, he had checked off that the L1, SD card, and manuals were all there. (They were anyway) He was also supposed to check for the number of capacity bars remaining, but he just listed N/A. He knew nothing about heat degradation. He thought cold did the same type of permanent damage.

Cancelled my registration online. We don't even return plates anymore! Removed the car from my insurance policy using Liberty Mutual 's app.
Called the Leaf team and they had me fax them the registration cancellation receipt to process my excise tax abatement, and . . . Done!

I enjoyed both Leafs. I sure hope a 60 kWh eNV200 is here by 2020, I want a campervan.

So no incentive to buy out? Hoping there are some incentives when I need to decide in January or February.

I confirmed that the 3 months free lease extensions are no longer being offered. Has anyone heard of any other incentives from NMAC on buyouts of leases. I've got a 2014 SL due back next month. None of the local dealers know of anything (but not sure how reliable that is).

Back