KEY FOB CONNECT TO HEAT/AIR FUNCTION

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leafabout said:
I'd like to be able to turn my car heat/air on using only the key fob. I don't want to go out and purchase a smart phone to do that.

You don't have to purchase a smart phone, you can do it from any web browser. Activating with the key fob would require close proximity to the vehicle. The current system allows it to be done from anywhere there is internet access (and cell service available to the car).

If you have to get close enough to use the key fob, it's not any more difficult to walk to the car, turn it on, go back inside, and wait for the car climate to adjust.

baustin said:
If you have to get close enough to use the key fob, it's not any more difficult to walk to the car, turn it on, go back inside, and wait for the car climate to adjust.
Says the guy who lives where there is never ice on the ground outside.

BuckMkII said:
baustin said:
Says the guy who lives where there is never ice on the ground outside.

That's why I moved here. I grew up in ice and snow, before remote start and FOB's, don't miss it one bit.

That's why I moved here. I grew up in ice and snow, before remote start and FOB's, don't miss it one bit.

So perhaps you shouldn't be lecturing those who have to traverse ice, snow and frigid temps to go out to the car...?

We all like to dream about all the great new functions we would like to have on our possessions....

Personally, I think that the car starting/ heating warm up is an unnecessary fad that alarm installers came up with to get people to spend more money.

Especially on an electric car, starting heat or ac is tremendously wasteful of power... It takes less than a minute for the climate to start working when you enter the car....

Maybe when you're old, and have poor circulation, including Reyaud's (sp?) syndrome, you'll appreciate the difference between a frigid cabin (and steering wheel) slowly warming up, and one that's tolerable the moment you get in. I only preheated for 2-5 minutes when I have remote access, but it made a huge difference...

LeftieBiker said:

So perhaps you shouldn't be lecturing those who have to traverse ice, snow and frigid temps to go out to the car...?

Having had to traverse ice, snow, and endure frigid temps a good part of my life makes me qualified to lecture on it.

Maybe you should brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

LeftieBiker said:

hardly a lecture when the point he is making is a valid one.

In reality it all depends on quality of FOB. I was able to start the pre cool on my Prius from my living room window which was like 75 feet or so. But there were other times I would be less than 30 feet away and it didn't work so YMMV.

Another option would be your best bet by far

baustin said:
LeftieBiker said:

Having had to traverse ice, snow, and endure frigid temps a good part of my life makes me qualified to lecture on it.

Maybe when you're old, and have poor circulation, including Renaud's (sp?) syndrome, you'll appreciate the difference between a frigid cabin (and steering wheel) slowly warming up, and one that's tolerable the moment you get in. You also fail to consider the distance to walk to some drivers' cars. No, you're just making a sloppy, callous argument.

To be honest, this is one of the things I missed from my i-MiEV. It came with a keychain remote that would allow you to charge and pre-heat/pre-cool the vehicle.

Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-729x486-c8332dfa3e14f20f.jpg

LeftieBiker said:
baustin said:
LeftieBiker said:

Maybe when you're old, and have poor circulation, including Renaud's (sp?) syndrome, you'll appreciate the difference between a frigid cabin (and steering wheel) slowly warming up, and one that's tolerable the moment you get in. You also fail to consider the distance to walk to some drivers' cars. No, you're just making a sloppy, callous argument.

Now you are being contradictory and sounding silly. You have just emphasized my original point. If you have to get close enough to the car to activate the heat using the FOB, just walk out and start it and go back inside and wait for it to warm up. There was never any argument against remote activated cabin heating. How far you have to park from your front door does not change the distance you have to be from the car for the FOB to work.

I have never claimed to be young and in good health (because I'm not), but I don't advertise my conditions on the internet to try and gain sympathy or win an argument. I no longer do well in the cold weather, which is why I moved away from it.

The Prius and Leaf fobs both work up to 40' away, depending on line of sight. That's enough to activate it from a store window if away from home, or at least in time to get it partially warm as you arrive. I would be able to use my fob from my front window, and with the worthless 2G modem in my car, that would be a huge advantage. It would be far easier for others to step a couple of feet outside and use the fob, instead of walking to the car and back. In any case, I'm done arguing this. You're just wasting my time.

LeftieBiker said:
The Prius and Leaf fobs both work up to 40' away, depending on line of sight. That's enough to activate it from a store window if away from home, or at least in time to get it partially warm as you arrive. I would be able to use my fob from my front window, and with the worthless 2G modem in my car, that would be a huge advantage. It would be far easier for others to step a couple of feet outside and use the fob, instead of walking to the car and back. In any case, I'm done arguing this. You're just wasting my time.

You're allowing your time to be wasted by arguing about a suggested feature that Nissan will never add to the FOB. Not having access to the current remote features, because you won't upgrade the TCU, is an issue you have created.

Back