tires 4-rib or 5-rib?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrockWI

So what is the difference between the Ecopia EP422 Plus 4-rib or 5-rib? I understand their are 4 or 5 general ribs on the tread of the tire.

I am looking at them for out VW and it is tire size 195/65R15 and they come in both options. The 5 rib is listed as "Volkswagen" and it $5 more but is rated at 540 vs 640 for the 4 rib. Also the 5 rib is 51 psi vs 44 for the 4 rib, otherwise they are almost identical.

Thoughts?

I have had the 4 rib for over a year on a Cobalt and besides looking stupid it handles and wears well but I do run higher pressures.

Just my thought but if the 5 rib is only $5 more/tire($20 for the whole car) personally I'd go for the 5 rib. Not only could you officially run more pressure, for potentially better MPG, but it might also be handy to have the higher GVW(400 lbs/car).
I'm not one that likes to spend more than needed on things and will often find cheaper alternatives, but for $5 and when your talking about something like a tire that supports the whole car and a blowout at 70mph on a crowded freeway could end up killing you or the least an accident, I'd take the high road :)

I guess that part of what I was wondering about. I assume the higher pressure with the 5 rib would mean better rolling resistance as well as a lower tread wear which we see as well. But the odd thing is I have read the 5 rib design tends to lower tire efficiency and give you better traction and handling than the 4 rib. This would leave me to believe the 5 rib would actually be worse in the rolling resistance number?

BrockWI said:
I guess that part of what I was wondering about. I assume the higher pressure with the 5 rib would mean better rolling resistance as well as a lower tread wear which we see as well. But the odd thing is I have read the 5 rib design tends to lower tire efficiency and give you better traction and handling than the 4 rib. This would leave me to believe the 5 rib would actually be worse in the rolling resistance number?
My 4 rib tires list 51psi on the sidewall and were $50 wallmart clearance specials

My fuel economy went up but it's just an observation

If it were $5 diff I would have gone 5 rib

Thanks all. I did order the 5 rib, I can only compare it to Michelin energies on that vehicle. I hope the noise, traction and handling are better compared to the stock Ecopia's as everyone says :)

BrockWI said:
Thanks all. I did order the 5 rib, I can only compare it to Michelin energies on that vehicle. I hope the noise, traction and handling are better compared to the stock Ecopia's as everyone says :)

My 2011 came with Ecopias on 16-inch wheels and the 2015 came with Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires on 17-inch wheels. In my opinion, the OEM Ecopias were far superior to the OEM Michelins. I think you will be happy with the Ecopias.

Back