LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdherman said:
Well, seems I am buying a new Gunmetal Grey SV 2016 for $26000, out the door. I can break that down if someone desires. Basically, its more than some people are paying on the coasts, but KC has very few Leafs. In fact, this one is coming from Springfield, which limited my negotiation some. Had Fenton Nissan Tiffany Springs had the vehicle on the floor, it might have gone better.

That is $18500 after federal tax rebate. Of course, there's sales taxes, but I never add that in when talking vehicles, as its a local phenomenon.

I am still someone who would rather take my chances with ownership, rather than pay the lease fees to the man and hand over the car in 30 months, or however long......

Now, to sell the 2012 SL. I am going to list on cars.com at $8,500 but I will entertain all offers. Even if I end up getting only 7,500 for it, I am then $11,000 into a new 2016, 30kw bat, long warranty, better heater, better charger etc. Or so goes the delusion........

Anything less than 7.5k and I keep it. At that price, I figure it means its approaching terminally depreciated and the major cost of ownership starts to be the tag and insurance. My brother or someone in family will drive it short distances for 10 years till we've cracked the bones, sucked out all the marrow and its ready for the crusher....

well I think you got a pretty good deal. Did you by chance hear any info on what the lease terms might have been?

Congrats (assuming you've pulled the trigger)!

Sounds like many of us are going the same route. I leased my 2016 SV from Joe Machens in Columbia, MO for $322 per month including tax, $0 down, 36 months.

This is my first lease ever, but I figure if I like the car well enough or rack up too many miles to make the return too expensive, I'll keep it. Residual is under $11 K. So about $21K out the door including tax (and they keep the $7,500, i.e. I don't have to wait a year to get it back) if I end up keeping it. I guess that's the price I pay for not having to have the cash up front. BTW, I have a feeling they will make me an attractive buyout option at the end. By 2019, there will be lots of other choices out there.

Clyde from MAEAA got the benefit of my 2012. I sometimes think I should have kept it for the reasons you mentioned, but the reality is that it's still insurance, registration, personal property, and a car sitting in the driveway.

Yeah, I probably could have gotten a better deal by waiting or negotiating more, but I'm very happy with the product. We rarely charge more than once per day, always run A/C and have plenty of range left.

100+ miles real-world range rules! Still, I unexpectedly had to drive to Lee's Summit from Liberty with a partial charge and used the Rice Rd. HyVee DCQC and by the time I went to return some Shatto milk bottles and hit the head, it was near 80%. Love our charging infrastructure.

The Eco and B mode are nice to have been separated out. Charging time is MUCH faster (twice as fast, in fact :). The trunk is noticably bigger without the battery box there. I miss a few SL features like auto headlights, LED headlights, etc., but just about everything is better.

Karl

Kansans who drive electric, are interested in electric vehicles or want to see our state lead the way in clean energy usage, we need your voice!

The rapid increase of public charging stations has made Kansas City nationally known as a “the EV mecca of the midwest”, because access to public chargers is essential to viability of a future that doesn’t rely on fossil fuels to power our cars.

However, a recent ruling in Kansas threatens the public’s ability to charge their electric vehicles at places where shop, enjoy days at the park, see baseball games, work and much more. On September 13, The State Corporation Commission of the State of Kansas denied our public utility's application for approval of its network of electric vehicle chargers.

One of the Commission’s reasonings for denying the application is lack of public interest in EVs and lack of demand for commercial charging stations. This is why we need you to speak up if you value a clean energy future. Please consider contacting the commission and tell them about your interest in electric vehicles and the impact that a lack of public charging options would have on you.

The State Corporation Commission of the State of Kansas
Consumer Inquiries/Complaints
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (800) 662-0027
Phone: (785) 271-3140

KCEV,

About this ruling, can you provide a link of this ruling that I could link to or quote in my complaint?

thanks

I got an email from KCPL today with the subject "Enjoy special KCP&L pricing on a Nissan LEAF". It included the following link with details on how to take advantage of a Special Group Buy Price. If you were waiting for a good deal to pick up a new Leaf 2016 or 2017 this may be it.

http://www.metroenergy.org/index.php/nissan-leaf-2016-group-buy-draft/

You must print this flyer and present it to a Nissan Dealer by January 3, 2017 to take advantage of the offer.
http://www.metroenergy.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/KC-fleetail-flyer-11-17-2016-final2.pdf

Henry said:
I got an email from KCPL today with the subject "Enjoy special KCP&L pricing on a Nissan LEAF". It included the following link with details on how to take advantage of a Special Group Buy Price. If you were waiting for a good deal to pick up a new Leaf 2016 or 2017 this may be it.

http://www.metroenergy.org/index.php/nissan-leaf-2016-group-buy-draft/

You must print this flyer and present it to a Nissan Dealer by January 3, 2017 to take advantage of the offer.
http://www.metroenergy.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/KC-fleetail-flyer-11-17-2016-final2.pdf

a 50% off sale!(or more)

Hello KC Leaf Owners, I was wondering if any of you have tried using a Brake Fluid tester as mentioned in this article to avoid replacing the brake fluid before it is really necessary. http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-brake-fluid-tester-save-brake-fluid-change-video/

I found several of them on Amazon between $12 and $15 that can test DOT 3, 4, or 5 brake fluid. My Leaf owners manual says my car uses DOT 3 brake fluid.

If any of any have had the brake fluid replaced I am curious to know how much it costs?

I could not get your video to load for some reason. But I did research this topic ad nauseum a while back, when Nissan started recommending that I get my brake fluid changed.

I bought some of the common "copper test strips" from amazon, but never used them, as I also bought a electrical conductivity tester as well that tests the water content of the fluid. Its the water that leads to corrosion. If you wait till the copper test is positive, the damage is already done. AND, if you have a vehicle with stainless steal lines, the test strips are worthless (my 65 show truck)

I marched around my vehicles, testing the 2014 Prius first (looked great), the 2012 Leaf (also perfect), the 2005 Forester (middle of the road) and the 1965 F100, which had its brakes entirely redone in 2004. The F100 was showing quite a lot of moisture -- I should bleed them and replace all the fluid.

I ended up also flushing out the 2005 Forester as well this past summer, in caution.

I do not think in Kansas City's relatively dry climate, compared to some places, you will need brake fluid flushes every three years. Nissan and a slew of manufacturers are recommending that, as it avoid warranty claims, makes hundred or so bucks for their dealers, and hey, it cannot hurt, RIGHT?

If your Leaf is a 2011 or 12, you MIGHT want to consider it. Or you can test the fluid. I'll gladly test for you -- I live up by Zona Rosa. Just let me know......

soooooooooo.... good news and bad news

Bad news - lost my third capacity bar today
Good news - it took 4.5 years to lose 3 capacity bars
Bad news - I still have 1.5 years of payments
Good news - the car still covers 90% of my driving (down 5% from 2012)
Bad news - no hope of a new battery
Good news - every new EV on the market has more capacity than it did 4 years ago

edit - current mileage - 45,400

ksnogas2112 said:
soooooooooo.... good news and bad news

Bad news - lost my third capacity bar today
Good news - it took 4.5 years to lose 3 capacity bars
Bad news - I still have 1.5 years of payments
Good news - the car still covers 90% of my driving (down 5% from 2012)
Bad news - no hope of a new battery
Good news - every new EV on the market has more capacity than it did 4 years ago

edit - current mileage - 45,400

sucks that you have lost bars especially when the newer LEAFs have strong evidence of much better battery chemistry but I look at TCO against a gasser. Now if you have a gasser too and have been comparing costs, this is the best way to determine how much benefit EVing has helped you.

I am also very impressed with the amount of pro EV activity your area has undergone!

I think being "progressive minded" in a place like Kansas and Missouri tends to lead you to being even more active than if you we basking in a liberal haven like WA or CA or MA etc....

You look for what you can do, since your vote didn't do it......

And the nice 1000+ charging stations did not hurt! I am charging at work so much that my solar panels are overproducing again in the tween months. I drive my new 2016 Leaf like I stole it, 8 or 9 mph over speed limit regardless and screw the B mode! (but I do keep it on ECO mode)

It's been a year or so since I've been on here.

Last summer we got charging stations installed at work also. We have 10 spots, and I'd say about 4 or so are regularly used every day by employees. We have an additional four spots outside for the public.

It occurred to me this week that I've had my leaf almost five years now; I got mine in June 2012. Its amazing how time flys. I still love the car and have 10 bars, so I suspect I'll keep it for quite a while longer. I get it detailed every May, so it always looks like a new car.

ericvoll said:
It's been a year or so since I've been on here.

Last summer we got charging stations installed at work also. We have 10 spots, and I'd say about 4 or so are regularly used every day by employees. We have an additional four spots outside for the public.

It occurred to me this week that I've had my leaf almost five years now; I got mine in June 2012. Its amazing how time flys. I still love the car and have 10 bars, so I suspect I'll keep it for quite a while longer. I get it detailed every May, so it always looks like a new car.

I haven't seen you much lately, Eric. We must be missing each other at the Gladstone Hy-Vee. Like cdherman, we upgraded to a 30 kWh SV (Silver, still "UBY GAS" plate) and it's my wife's daily driver. The extra range as well as a new battery have helped her feel more comfortable with range and use our minivan very little. I keep toying with the idea of selling it and renting one when we need it for long-distance family trips.

The LEAF is a 3-year lease and we are keeping the mileage on track with the lease since I expect we will be trading it for whatever is out there in 2019.

We have a few more LEAFers out on the KC EV Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1717817545101518/), so one of these days when the weather is more consistent, we should do another LEAF tech session with some cabin filter swaps and tire rotations.

I like the idea of an annual detailing.

TTFN,

Karl

For those who didn't learn about it on our KC EV Facebook Group, there's an EV outing to Jowler Creek Winery north of the MCI airport in Platte City this Saturday, April 22, 2017 for Earth Day:

"Earth Day Festival at Missouri's First Green Winery
April 22, 2017; 2:00-9:00 pm
Celebrate Earth Day with the first "green" winery in Missouri as we cut the ribbon on our new Electric Vehicle (EV) charging stations ..."

Read more: http://www.jowlercreek.com/events.html

Also, I will lead a small caravan of EVs from the HyVee on St. Clair Road near Zona Rosa starting about 12:30 PM. There are several EVSEs at the HyVee and across Barry Road at St. Luke's.

I will be at Panera starting around 11 AM.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/L5b8yC2Zibw

It looks like our LEAF group has kind of disappeared.

Back in March I ended up trading in my LEAF. I ended up getting a Chevrolet Volt. I miss my LEAF, I have a lot of good memories (nearly 5 years of them), but I'm glad I can once again do road trips.

For anyone who is interested, I have a factory sealed rear wiper blade from Nissan for the 2012 LEAF I want to give away. If you're in KC, we can meet up, and I can pass it along, or alternatively, I can ship it. All you would need to do is pay shipping (can't be that much).

All the best.

ERIC

ericvoll said:
It looks like our LEAF group has kind of disappeared.

Back in March I ended up trading in my LEAF. I ended up getting a Chevrolet Volt. I miss my LEAF, I have a lot of good memories (nearly 5 years of them), but I'm glad I can once again do road trips.

For anyone who is interested, I have a factory sealed rear wiper blade from Nissan for the 2012 LEAF I want to give away. If you're in KC, we can meet up, and I can pass it along, or alternatively, I can ship it. All you would need to do is pay shipping (can't be that much).

All the best.

ERIC

Not disappeared. Simply left for Facebook. This site has not only failed to improve but its declining on a daily basis. Too many arguments nitpicking over nothing has waylaid the path this site was on.

Wow, it’s been a year and a half since anyone has posted on here. I tried the Facebook thing, but Facebook creeps me out too much. I ended up buying a 2018 Nissan LEAF to replace the Chevy Volt that I had purchased. I wish I would have just kept my 2012 LEAF.

The 2018 LEAF is a great car....and I like the additional mileage.

Back