4% SOH drop in six weeks on new car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjc212

Hi - picked up a new 2017 S at the end of August and I have really enjoyed the vehicle. Its perfect for my commute and we have a solar powered charging station at my work. Been monitoring the vehicle with Leaf Spy Pro since I too delivery and in 1500 miles and less than 6 weeks its gone from 98% to 94%. That seems pretty quick. Thoughts?

Keep monitoring, but not too often.
It will drive you nuts

Regarding your unstated but presumed question:
No one knows if your results are a trend that will continue, or which of your two readings was more accurate.

Where do you live? It's possible you're readings are not reliable and will fluctuate a lot.

If you live in a hot climate, August is a prime month for degradation. Especially if you charge it at work, in the sun and during the hottest part of the day.

SOH seems to routinely go up and down by 2-4%. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once you get a feel for where it usually is you'll know if it has dropped down into a new low. (Say it says between 98 and 94 right now, in 6 months that might be more like between 96 and 92.)

Please add your location to your header. Local temps are the largest factor in battery degradation. Your results will be far different depending on whether you live in Phoenix or Seattle.

johnlocke said:
Please add your location to your header. Local temps are the largest factor in battery degradation. Your results will be far different depending on whether you live in Phoenix or Seattle.

after 6 weeks? :roll:

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:

Depends on how long it was sitting at the dealer's lot before delivery. 3 months in Phoenix in the summer sitting on a dealer's lot at 100% charge would explain it.

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
johnlocke said:

Depends on how long it was sitting at the dealer's lot before delivery. 3 months in Phoenix in the summer sitting on a dealer's lot at 100% charge would explain it.

that might explain why it started at 98%. There is really not enough info here

Thanks folks. Sorry I did not have enough info. I live in central NC and use the vehicle for a daily commute of about 20 miles, most of which is on the interstate. I use 15 to 20% of the battery capacity on my commute. I have a level 2 charger at work that I mostly use. I try to let it get to 25 to 40% before I plug it in. Usually charge it to about 90%. I have used a quick charger once.

Not sure about the history of the car before I got it in late August. Bought it from the dealer in Durham. They said it had been at a dealer in Virginia. Leaf spy showed it had been quick charged six times before I got it. It was manufactured in March of this year.

And at 3000 miles the SOH is now at 92%.

Thanks for your help.

hjc212 said:
Thanks folks. Sorry I did not have enough info. I live in central NC and use the vehicle for a daily commute of about 20 miles, most of which is on the interstate. I use 15 to 20% of the battery capacity on my commute. I have a level 2 charger at work that I mostly use. I try to let it get to 25 to 40% before I plug it in. Usually charge it to about 90%. I have used a quick charger once.

Not sure about the history of the car before I got it in late August. Bought it from the dealer in Durham. They said it had been at a dealer in Virginia. Leaf spy showed it had been quick charged six times before I got it. It was manufactured in March of this year.

And at 3000 miles the SOH is now at 92%.

Thanks for your help.

Ahh, workplace charging. this explains it all.

Is the car shaded when you are charging?

Do you have daily access to the charger?

@ 20% one way or say 50% daily, why are you charging to 90% especially during the day?

Your SOH is probably accurate. We are headed into Winter so the impact of your daytime charging will be minimized but I would not charge to more than 65-75% during the Summer.

I would charge to full when the day time high temps gets into the 50's. This will help the health of your pack by balancing cells better. plus you will use more battery during Winter.

You REALLY need to get home charging and charge at night during the coolest part of the day during Summer.

I've done nearly 70k between 2 Leafs...a 2013 and a 2017. Don't sweat it. Also, know that you can "extend" you battery warranty by 5k miles to 105k miles by simply fitting larger tires on your car! I ran some 215/60/16's on my car before I sold it. Fixes the speedo error and makes it spot on. PM me for more info if needed. I ran mine with spacers so not sure if they clear at full steering lock without spacers. I'm looking to do this change on my 2017 soon. But, may just end up with yet another set of aftermarket wheels/tires.

hjc212 said:
Thanks.

Car is shaded at work. Really like charging at work since the charger is supplied by solar panels.

In Winter, you should be good to charge as much as you want. Guessing normal Winter highs is like 40's to low 60's?

In Summer, don't charge over 70% SOC. The lower the better. LEAF packs seem to not tolerate "warmth" very well. Because you have work place charging, I would keep your SOC no higher than 70% or so. As far as what SOC is good or bad? Don't have nothing to give other than the lower the better.

So keep enough in the battery to cover your needs with a buffer and avoid putting in more than you need right away simply because work charging is free... or cheap.

Back