TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact, the exponential increase inTesla jokes will begin only after TSLA finds out it can't sell more debt or equity.

Tesla: The Joke Ain't Funny Anymore

...This whole episode gets us to another problem with Musk and Tesla, and that is a lack of communication. How many times have we seen the company fall dramatically short of guidance/expectations and yet there is no disclosure of this material information? Almost everyone, including myself, applauded Tesla for getting such a low rate when it borrowed $1.8 billion in bonds in mid-August. How many of those investors would have piled in if they knew the Model 3 was way behind schedule? This isn't the first time that some form of capital raise has come right before major bad news...
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4112435-tesla-joke-aint-funny-anymore

hyperionmark said:
...If you don't actually have skin in the game your comments are worthless.
Worthless comment...

Anyone that wants to make a real money bet on anything regarding Tesla I am game. If you aren't willing to put money down on your arguments, it is just noise. Noise, noise, noise is all I'm hearing from you fools. PM me if you want to make a bet with me and put your money where your mouth is. I will even give you odds. Anyone here actually have any guts or simply like to run your mouth?

edatoakrun said:
It's becoming quite a pissing contest, between Musk and the WSJ.
It's been that way all along.

I'm a paper subscriber to the WSJ and I am constantly dismayed by their badmouthing of not just Tesla but also EVs in general. But several of their recent Tesla articles have included a statement similar to this:
In a statement, a Tesla spokeswoman declined to answer questions for this article and said, “For over a decade, the WSJ has relentlessly attacked Tesla with misleading articles that, with few exceptions, push or exceed the boundaries of journalistic integrity. While it is possible that this article could be an exception, that is extremely unlikely.” The Journal disagrees with the company’s categorization of its journalism.

hyperionmark said:
Anyone that wants to make a real money bet on anything regarding Tesla I am game. If you aren't willing to put money down on your arguments, it is just noise. Noise, noise, noise is all I'm hearing from you fools.

C'mon man, there's no need for that.

WardsAuto report on the model 3 rollout makes it sound like hell all right.

But due to mistakes already made, maybe not for only ~six months...

Tesla’s ‘Hiccups’: Devil in the Details

EO Elon Musk has said Tesla faces six months of “production hell” as it ramps up production of its much-awaited Model 3, but the devil may have arrived early.

Musk introduced the Model 3 on July 28 amid much hoopla at its Fremont, CA, assembly operations. Dressed casually and smiling broadly, Musk unveiled 30 Model 3s and said production would begin in August with 100 cars rolling off the line, rising to 1,500 in September and steeply upward to 20,000 in December.

Tesla targeted building 1,630 Model 3s during the third quarter but acknowledged it badly missed that goal, turning out only 260 cars. Nevertheless, Musk remained bullish, saying production will reach 5,000 weekly by year’s end...

Based on numerous reports, Tesla has little chance of hitting its 5,000 weekly output during the fourth quarter and perhaps not for a long time after that...

The chief reason: Its current production line in Fremont, CA, can’t build vehicles at that rate unless it runs two 10-hour shifts seven days a week, which is not likely for an all-new vehicle, even if everything goes smoothly. The plant presently runs two 8-hour shifts five days a week.

A source in position to know says a second body shop mirroring Fremont’s would be required to support the high volume Musk has forecast. “I understand they’re talking about a second body shop,” he says, “but I can’t see them reaching 2,500 to 3,000 weekly until the end of next year” with current production facilities.

Knowledgeable sources say Tesla’s Model 3 launch has been hampered by all manner of problems, some self-inflicted because of Musk’s disdain for using development and production processes honed by traditional auto makers.

Most importantly, Tesla bypassed production prototyping typically used by auto makers to catch glitches before gearing up for high-volume output and instead sought to save time by using a “pilot line” to check out processes. “Using prototyping you can make changes and it doesn’t cost as much,” says one source. Business Insider reports that skipping prototyping “could spell trouble down the road.”

Another source, who has first-hand knowledge of the situation, says Tesla chose to use its own methods to prep for production rather than rely on traditional validation processes. “There have been a lot of hiccups,” the source says, “because everything they do is ass-backwards. They aren’t used to this kind of (high-volume) operation. There are no standards.”...
http://wardsauto.com/industry/tesla-s-hiccups-devil-details

^ Hmmm, I can't help but think that while there are new ideas to be tried there's also a place for recognizing that maybe you aren't smarter than everyone else about everything.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ Hmmm, I can't help but think that while there are new ideas to be tried there's also a place for recognizing that maybe you aren't smarter than everyone else about everything.

Yes, some are better at being a visionary for a trip to Mars than understanding 'trivial' volume auto production.

Evoforce said:
This thread is over 2 years old and Chicken Little still claims the sky is falling! :lol:
Haha, yep. And oddly I've still received no PM's from people willing to put their money where their mouth is.

edatoakrun said:
It is quite amusing to see such collective praise for a vehicle with no actual production examples built.

And also a vehicle for which even a sycophant site is now posting reports suggesting the launch may not only be delayed, but be in serious trouble.

Shouldn't the report that the battery pack design was not even completed by July give any rational investor in TSLA, or any depositor on a model 3, some reason to be concerned?
Yes, there are reasons to be concerned. It sure would be nice if Tesla as a manufacturer could match the predictability and reliability of Toyota and some of the other, major automakers. But innovation has its price, and it can be messy.

To this day, only Tesla manufactures vehicles that can reasonably eliminate ICE ownership for families like mine. Tesla vehicles have had plenty of glitches, but they sure are nice EVs, and it's no surprise that Tesla's level of customer loyalty is so high. It's easier to be forgiving when driving a great car!

As to whether there exist "actual production examples" of the Model 3, of course they exist. The inclusion of some manual processes, while not ideal, doesn't disqualify vehicles from being considered "production". Obviously, I hope Tesla can overcome the remaining production bottlenecks in a timely manner.

Personally, I'm holding enough TSLA shares to truly feel invested in the company, but not so many shares that our family would truly hurt if things majorly go south.

The real Giga-news, IMO, is not RE the missing solar panels, but in the long quote attributed to an insider about battery production problems.

Go to the link to read in much more detail.

Tesla Gigafactory solar power scrapped, insider claims

...The pictures of a Gigafactory decked-out in solar panels are still on Tesla’s website, but recent drone footage of the Gigafactory shows the battery plant devoid of any topside solar panels. There may never be any solar panels, a Gigafactory insider claims...

Why the change of mind and roof? Follow the money. Would you invest big into solar panels if you can get large parts of your power for free? You might not, but Tesla does.

A filing with the SEC shows that as part of Nevada’s Thank You to Tesla for coming to the state, the company’s power bill will be substantially discounted.

According to the filing, which had parts redacted after Tesla requested “confidential treatment,” Tesla “shall be eligible for a discount to the base tariff energy rate portion of its electric power bill equal to: thirty percent in the first and second years of the contract, twenty percent in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth years of the contract, and ten percent in the seventh and eighth years of the contract.”

Nevada’s grid could use a little help from a massive solar installation. Its utility company, NVEnergy, is not known as the paragon of stable power, and even their on-line outage center experiences occasional outages...

Meanwhile, the insider has a few more comments on the Gigafactory:

“The real delay to Tesla production is due to the battery cells not being manufactured to the true capacity they calculate being able to do on paper. This problem falls on Panasonic’s shoulders. When you factor in the initial problems I listed in my other post here you then have to factor in the Panasonic failures. Panasonic gave up attempting to produce the different cells used for the power walls, that’s why the Australian deal had to rely on Samsung not Elon’s own Panasonic cells being used.

1) I’d point out first that production is absolutely not being rushed or corners cut on quality just to meet promises. It’s the exact opposite...

2) Extremely poor quality management from the American side are a major problem with Panasonic as well...

For Tesla to ever meet demands they’ll need to fix the limited access remote location problems. From Sparks, NV to the Gigafactory would be a prime location for one of Elon’s tunnels. It’s that or build affordable apartments close to the facility.

They’ll need to solve the unreliability of power supplied from Nevada Energy (even though the factory is only a few miles away from the power plant). That can be fixed by bringing back the idea of solar power and back up battery power supplies. Nevada Energy only progressively gets worse in unreliability, there’s no hope they’ll ever get better.

They’ll need to fire from the top down all the current American management at Panasonic, none of them are “keepers”. Bring in managers from the Midwest or other areas who have actual production experience...

I could make a longer more detailed list easily but I think you get the point.”
http://dailykanban.com/2017/10/tesla-gigafactory-solar-power-scrapped-insider-claims/

abasile said:
Personally, I'm holding enough TSLA shares to truly feel invested in the company, but not so many shares that our family would truly hurt if things majorly go south.

No need to worry until mid 2018. The stock may even reach $400 by the end of the year, if it appears the
guidance will be achieved or exceeded and that about 5K M3s will have been delivered.

Did TSLA or didn't TSLA provide legal disclosure on the model 3 ramp?

Did Tesla Stealthily Disclose Model 3 Ramp Issues?

October 11, 2017 By Edward Niedermeyer

Controversy has haunted Tesla at every step of its extraordinary journey, making it hands-down the most argued-over automaker in the world. These controversies have touched on nearly every aspect of the California-based car company’s business, but they also share one core commonality: at their core, every Tesla controversy has been about disclosure...

Every serious auto analyst has been saying for years that ramping up to mass-scale production of the Model 3 will be the biggest challenge Tesla has ever faced, so the fact that the company missed its internal Model 3 production goal for Q3 by some 85% isn’t intrinsically controversial. But Tesla’s statement accompanying this massive miss stated that “there are no fundamental issues with the Model 3 production or supply chain,” even after confirming its missed goal at the start of production. After Daily Kanban‘s report, Tesla PR reps “repeatedly” and “vehemently” denied that Model 3 parts were being made by hand according to Jalopnik’s Ryan Felton, and then completely changed their tune after the Wall Street Journal’s Tim Higgins reported that aspects of Model 3 manufacturing were indeed taking place by hand. Had Tesla simply disclosed what was causing such a massive delay to the Model 3 production ramp instead of misleading, obfuscating and attacking reporters the controversy would doubtless have died down… at least until the next production number disclosure. The mismatch between Tesla’s ambitious guidance and underwhelming performance, as well as its aggressive attempts to discredit any reporter attempting to add to the public’s understanding of the situation, turned a wholly unsurprising production “hiccup” into a full-blown controversy.

Though this approach fits Tesla’s established pattern of PR practice and though it plays well with the firm’s fanatical “cult” followers, it was hardly the only logical approach to questions raised by its Q3 Model 3 production miss. After all, a look back through CEO Elon Musk’s statements about the Model 3 production ramp provides some evidence to suggest Tesla already disclosed –in its uniquely ambiguous manner– its current predicament well in advance...
https://dailykanban.com/2017/10/tesla-stealthily-disclose-model-3-ramp-issues/

The vultures are already circling, just in case they eventually find a corpse...

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Investigates Claims On Behalf of Investors of Tesla, Inc. - TSLA

PR Newswire

Oct. 9, 2017, 03:27 PM

The investigation concerns whether Tesla and certain of its officers and/or directors have engaged in securities fraud or other unlawful business practices.

[Click here to join a class action]

On October 2, 2017, in a press release detailing the Company's vehicle production and deliveries for the third quarter of 2017, Tesla cited "production bottlenecks" as the reason for its failure to meet its production goals for its Model 3 sedan. On October 6, 2017, post-market, the Wall Street Journal published an article reporting, in part, that "nknown to analysts, investors and the hundreds of thousands of customers who signed up to buy it, as recently as early September major portions of the Model 3 were still being banged out by hand, away from the automated production line, according to people familiar with the matter." ...

http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/SHAREHOLDER-ALERT-Pomerantz-Law-Firm-Investigates-Claims-On-Behalf-of-Investors-of-Tesla-Inc-TSLA-1003558820

$10 billion here, $10 billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money...

Investors giving 'cash incineration engine' Tesla a lot of rope, but may soon lose patience

Tesla shares have crushed the market's performance for years, but patience is starting to run thin among some investors after Chairman and CEO Elon Musk's too ambitious Model 3 production goals.

In the third quarter, Tesla delivered 26,150 total vehicles and just 220 Model 3 cars versus Wall Street analyst consensus estimates for 25,860 and 1,260, respectively, according to FactSet. The Model 3 delivery miss revealed on Oct. 3 came just two months after the company gave guidance of more than 1,500 vehicles for the quarter.

"We are confident we can produce just over 1,500 vehicles in Q3, and achieve a run rate of 5,000 vehicles per week by the end of 2017. We also continue to plan on increasing Model 3 production to 10,000 vehicles per week at some point in 2018," Tesla said in its second-quarter 2017 update letter on Aug. 2...

Wall Street is also noticing the sheer magnitude of Tesla's cash burn. Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi estimated Tesla will burn through $4.7 billion of cash this year in a note to clients on Sept. 27. He said the company will reach a total $10.6 billion of cash burn as a public company by the end of 2017, which is unprecedented for a nearly $60 billion market-cap company.

In comparison, he cited how Amazon burned $1.1 billion of cash over three years and was generating billions of dollars of cash when it reached a $60 billion valuation...
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/10/investors-giving-cash-incineration-engine-tesla-a-lot-of-rope-but-may-soon-lose-patience.html

Tesla fires hundreds from headquarters, factory

Company says it will replace most workers

PALO ALTO – Tesla fired hundreds of workers this week, including engineers, managers and factory workers, even as the company struggles to expand its manufacturing and product line.

The dismissals come at a crucial point for the company, which is pushing to increase vehicle production five-fold and reach a broader market with its new Model 3 sedan. The electric vehicle maker missed targets for producing the lower-cost sedan, manufacturing only 260 last quarter despite a wait list of more than 450,000 customers.

The company said this week’s dismissals were the result of a company-wide annual review, and insisted they were not layoffs...

In multiple interviews, former and current employees told this news organization little or no warning preceded the dismissals. The workers interviewed include trained engineers working on vehicle design and production, a supervisor and factory employees.

Workers estimated between 400 and 700 employees have been fired. Tesla refused to say how many employees were let go, although the company expects employee turnover to be similar to last year’s attrition.

The spokesman said most of the dismissals were administrative and sales positions, and outside of manufacturing. Tesla employs about 10,000 workers at its Fremont factory.

Workers spoke on the condition of anonymity because they feared reprisals from the company. Employees said the firings have lowered morale through many departments. Several said Model X, Model S and former SolarCity operations seemed to be targeted...

The company has also started to cut some former SolarCity operations, which were acquired by Tesla last year. In August, Tesla told state regulators it would layoff 63 workers in Roseville, including sales and administrative staff. Tesla lost $336 million in the second quarter...
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/13/4819750/

edatoakrun said:

PALO ALTO – Tesla fired hundreds of workers this week, including engineers, managers and factory workers, even as the company struggles to expand its manufacturing and product line.

The dismissals come at a crucial point for the company, which is pushing to increase vehicle production five-fold and reach a broader market with its new Model 3 sedan. The electric vehicle maker missed targets for producing the lower-cost sedan, manufacturing only 260 last quarter despite a wait list of more than 450,000 customers.

The company said this week’s dismissals were the result of a company-wide annual review, and insisted they were not layoffs...

In multiple interviews, former and current employees told this news organization little or no warning preceded the dismissals. The workers interviewed include trained engineers working on vehicle design and production, a supervisor and factory employees.

Workers estimated between 400 and 700 employees have been fired. Tesla refused to say how many employees were let go, although the company expects employee turnover to be similar to last year’s attrition.

The spokesman said most of the dismissals were administrative and sales positions, and outside of manufacturing. Tesla employs about 10,000 workers at its Fremont factory.

Workers spoke on the condition of anonymity because they feared reprisals from the company. Employees said the firings have lowered morale through many departments. Several said Model X, Model S and former SolarCity operations seemed to be targeted...

The company has also started to cut some former SolarCity operations, which were acquired by Tesla last year. In August, Tesla told state regulators it would layoff 63 workers in Roseville, including sales and administrative staff. Tesla lost $336 million in the second quarter...

A performance review to reward outstanding performance and get rid of the slackers is THE standard process thru out any successful business. You seriously think its different at Apple, Amazon? Google?

DaveinOlyWA said:
edatoakrun said:

The dismissals come at a crucial point for the company...

A performance review to reward outstanding performance and get rid of the slackers is THE standard process thru out any successful business. You seriously think its different at Apple, Amazon? Google?
So, you would consider firing rates of between 4% to 7% in one week "standard"?

That sound's like an awfully high rate of "slackers" to me.

That doesn't happen in unionized American car factories, or even in other non-union USA car factories, other than during production cutbacks, AFAIK.

Tesla fired hundreds of employees in past week

...“It’s about 400 people ranging from associates to team leaders to supervisors. We don’t know how high up it went,” said the former employee, who worked on the assembly line and did not want to be identified.

Though Tesla cited performance as the reason for the firings, the source told Reuters he was fired in spite of never having been given a bad review...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-jobs/tesla-fired-hundreds-of-employees-in-past-week-idUSKBN1CJ00L

edatoakrun said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
edatoakrun said:
So, you would consider firing rates of between 4% to 7% in one week "standard"?

That sound's like an awfully high rate of "slackers" to me.

That doesn't happen in unionized American car factories, or even in other non-union USA car factories, other than during production cutbacks, AFAIK.

Is your comment some sort of justification to keep borderline employees because the firing quota has already been reached?

Back