The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sandeen said:
Dealer called back and pointedly said "it will not be a new battery pack, you might only get 10 bars" - I'm hoping he's just quoting back the warranty terms (of which I'm aware), and not some specific info from Nissan about this case; AFAIK everyone who's had a replacement has received a full capacity battery. Surely that won't stop now, right? :)
Go ahead and get No-Gas-EV involved - save yourself the heartache of this dealer trying to pull a fast one.

jhm614 said:
Go ahead and get No-Gas-EV involved - save yourself the heartache of this dealer trying to pull a fast one.
I really don't think they are, but I guess I can trust but verify. I did mention that every case I'd heard of, and I'd heard of many, were restored to full capacity.

jhm614 said:
sandeen said:
Dealer called back and pointedly said "it will not be a new battery pack, you might only get 10 bars" - I'm hoping he's just quoting back the warranty terms (of which I'm aware), and not some specific info from Nissan about this case; AFAIK everyone who's had a replacement has received a full capacity battery. Surely that won't stop now, right? :)

The dealer that warranty replaced my battery let me take pictures of the (new) battery shipping containers before installation and then took a number of pics of the actual replacement and gave them to me. It was verified to be the new "Lizard" type. I find it hard to believe any dealer gets such information that it might be a "ten bar" battery, or used, or had cells replaced, etc,etc unless they had conversations directly with Nissans warranty group about a specific serial numbered battery. If so, it could be the start of new policy, but where would they get such batteries? - unless they are removing from leased vehicles that are returned. Would that even make sense from a cost perspective? Please do find out what you can and let us know. I'm looking at every Leaf that has a good potential for warranty battery replacement for a number of interested individuals. This could dramatically affect that effort!

I plan on checking with NO GAS EV after it gets ordered to see what they shipped. If I ask before hand they may just restate the warranty terms, but when it's shipped I'd hope they can tell me what's actually in the box, at that point it's reflecting reality, not making promises.
I honestly think this was just a service advisor who was new to the game, and was reiterating the minimum requirements as stated in the warranty - I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.

I called the parts department today for a mundane question (re: floor mats) and got the parts manager, he figured out that it was my LEAF in for battery replacement and got all excited and geeked out on the parts, the LEAF, the process, "yeah we replaced a couple cells before but never a whole battery! Yeah, I took one of the old cells apart because I was curious, it was like filled with gel and stuff ..." :shock: ) :)

Anyway, he said they got the bill for the new battery, which means it must have shipped, and that there were 16 (!) in stock in the Chicago area warehouse. So yeah, I think I'm getting a new battery (despite service advisor's pedantic warnings); the guy spit out the part number, and I didn't catch it all but i think he said 295B0-9RB9D, close to what mxp reported, and hopefully will get it back next week.

Got the car back - everything looks good. 12 bars, haven't hit full charge yet to see what the GOM says, but LeafSpy says 66.14Ahr like everybody else has seen, Hx is slightly below 100%. The whole process was very smooth, took about a week. Got the telematics updated too, $199 later that works just fine as well. (Hope it's semi-useful, it sure is slow...) Now for some new tires and we should have a nice long useful life from this car.

sandeen said:
Got the car back - everything looks good. 12 bars, haven't hit full charge yet to see what the GOM says, but LeafSpy says 66.14Ahr like everybody else has seen, Hx is slightly below 100%. The whole process was very smooth, took about a week. Got the telematics updated too, $199 later that works just fine as well. (Hope it's semi-useful, it sure is slow...) Now for some new tires and we should have a nice long useful life from this car.

Great to hear. Thanks! Looking forward to reading about the real world mileage.

After looking over some of the service codes on my job sheet (should I post a pic?) I found the service bulletin for the battery replacement procedure. I hadn't seen reference to this before, so linking it here in case it's useful.

Edit: Oh, man - rework instructions.
b. With a drill bit, enlarge the bolt holes indicated in Figure 2
c. Cover the newly exposed metal with a zinc rich paint to prevent corrosion.
- After the paint has dried and before assembling the brackets to the new HV battery, Bitumen wax will also be applied to these areas.
I'm sure that happened! :)

Huh, Ahr already down to 65.67 after 1 day; easily the largest 1-day drop I've seen on this car - by a factor of 2. Not going to look this gift horse in the mouth too much, really - but that's interesting.

I suppose it's calibrating to a battery that may have been on the shelf for a while...? Meh, I was looking forward to putting LeafSpy away for a while. ;)

sandeen said:
Huh, Ahr already down to 65.67 after 1 day; easily the largest 1-day drop I've seen on this car - by a factor of 2. Not going to look this gift horse in the mouth too much, really - but that's interesting.

I suppose it's calibrating to a battery that may have been on the shelf for a while...? Meh, I was looking forward to putting LeafSpy away for a while. ;)

Would not pay much attention to short term changes - mine did very similar antics for the first 6 months. The worry I have is that there are 10 or so cells that have consistently been the cause of 25 to 35mv max deltas in cell voltages. However, the "degradation" has been (grosso modo) around .45 to .48 ahrs/month - essentially the same as the "old" battery that was replaced - over it's 4 year life..

sandeen said:
FWIW, mine has been steadily dropping since I got it late August as well. I would expect the same, though with your cooler weather it will probably hold steady for a while.

Started at 66.1 AHr / 99.6 Hx late August, and today (about 6 weeks later) sitting at 62.9 Ahr / 92.1 Hx.

One other interesting tidbit about the new pack compared to the old pack:

At 80% charge, the new pack charges to 388V (4.04V / cell) when the old pack (5-bar lost) only charged to 385V (4.01V / cell).

Picked up my car today after warranty replacement. I haven't full charged it yet. But, AHr is 63.80 and SOH = 100% and HX = 100%.

After 9 days and 270 miles, I'm down to 63.91Ahr, 94.54Hx on the new battery. That's down 2.23Ahr in just over a week. I presume/hope this is just some early adjustment to the true state of the battery, otherwise I'll be back in replacement range by March! (which is, coincidentally, one month after the warranty expires).

I picked up my early 2013 Leaf tonight from the warranty battery replacement at 39,712 miles. The work was done at Nissan of Downtown LA and the battery took six weeks to arrive.

Stats when I dropped the car off were:

AHr 41.60, SOH 63%, Hx 56.90

Stats on the replacement battery:

AHr 65.47, SOH 100%, Hx 100.30

The battery part number listed on the invoice is 295B0-3NF8A.

Overall a painless experience and the car drives like new. I’m pleased.

Amped said:
Picked up my car today after warranty replacement. I haven't full charged it yet. But, AHr is 63.80 and SOH = 100% and HX = 100%.

Within a few days of this post, my AHr went up to 66.14 and has stayed there ever since.

sandeen said:
So ... is there a thread for replacement battery degradation stats? ;)

I'd like to know too.

I got mine replaced back in June 2017.

Since then, I've had:

-168 Charges, mostly all level 1 chargers at night up to 80% and charge it every 3-4 days. My commute is so short that I don't need to charge it. I also charge it at 9:30 PM.
-Driven 3000 miles (500 miles a month)
-Park my car outside at night
-Park my car in a parking structure during the day at work
-Live in LA near the water, so definitely much cooler than inland.
-Lost almost 7 AHR (59.34 AHr) and at 93.02% SOH.

Seems pretty excessive considering how little I've driven and how well I charge the car.

I posted my degradation in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24532
since it is a 2016 "Lizard" battery. I don't know if that's the right place, but I have only put 10,000 miles on the Leaf in 22 months, and the battery is already down to 91%. Its good I have the Tesla now. I just hope I can find someone up north to take the Leaf off my hands cheap before the Model 3 gets here.

mtndrew1 said:
I picked up my early 2013 Leaf tonight from the warranty battery replacement at 39,712 miles. The work was done at Nissan of Downtown LA and the battery took six weeks to arrive.

Stats when I dropped the car off were:

AHr 41.60, SOH 63%, Hx 56.90

Stats on the replacement battery:

AHr 65.47, SOH 100%, Hx 100.30

The battery part number listed on the invoice is 295B0-3NF8A.

Overall a painless experience and the car drives like new. I’m pleased.
Six Weeks? My car dropped to 8 bars on a Sunday, I took it into the Cerritos Nissan dealership on Monday, they told me it would take between 2-6 weeks for the battery to arrive.

I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and left a message asking if it could possibly be sped up so I would have it in time for Christmas. I figured it was a long shot, but worth asking.

On Tuesday, I got a call from consumer affairs letting me know that they couldn't speed up getting the battery to the dealership, as it was already there.

I called and my service advisor was out for the day on a family emergency, so I tried calling on Wednesday morning, but their phones were down, so I drove over there since I needed to go that direction before work anyway. They told me the Leaf technician was asking if I could bring the car in that day to get the battery done, since I was there with the car, I did so. I was told it should be done at the end of the day, but at lunch time they called me and told me my car was ready.

So it took from my first visit at about 7:30 AM on Monday to around Noon on Wednesday for me to get a brand new battery in the car. To say I was shocked at how quickly it was done is an understatement.

keydiver said:
I posted my degradation in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24532
since it is a 2016 "Lizard" battery. I don't know if that's the right place, but I have only put 10,000 miles on the Leaf in 22 months, and the battery is already down to 91%. Its good I have the Tesla now. I just hope I can find someone up north to take the Leaf off my hands cheap before the Model 3 gets here.

At least you got to 22 months and 10k miles. I'm only 7 months in with 3000 miles and almost there. It doesn't make any sense.

Back