Project: Destroy my Battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Those cold nights are keeping the pack cool enough that hot days don't overheat it.

When it gets too hot, I just throw a bucket of ice in the back seat to cool it all down... :D

OP here, I'm at 9,100 miles in my first five months of ownership. My Ecopias are completely destroyed on the shoulder due to my extremely aggressive cornering.

I WILL destroy this battery! :evil:

eatsleafsandshoots said:
OP here, I'm at 9,100 miles in my first five months of ownership. My Ecopias are completely destroyed on the shoulder due to my extremely aggressive cornering.

Fight on! wait what?!?!

I don't know how I missed this thread before, but I have a track record of testing batteries in Arizona. You must be prepared to leave the car for testing for 7-9 months starting in April. A very low 10 bar or 9 bar car should be the best candidate. The car testing will be over normal road conditions in the Phoenix Metro Area. Cheers!

eatsleafsandshoots said:

:roll:
Good, I am sure we get your point. Let us know when you are done.

borugee said:
Is "B" mode is bad for battery? B Mode charge current = Quick Charge current.

It's only bad to the extent that the heat that it produces in the pack is excessive. So in cool or cold weather, no. In Hot weather, maybe.

I scanned the thread and didn't see a single substantive response to the OP's real goal - "what can be done to shorten the life of the battery?" My 30kWh '16 is down to 9 bars at 71% SOH. It's got 80k on it now and that means if I drop one more bar the warranty kicks in and they likely will replace it with a 40kWh battery.

I haven't done anything to purposefully degrade the battery but I don't baby it. I often charge it to 100% sometimes when it's very hot because I need to. I use QC's when I can because my time is valuable and sometimes I'll leave it out in the sun at >90% SOC. I've run it down where the battery cuts out about 3 or 4 times as I cut it too close (within 1/4 mile of my house) coming from town.

I'm not doing all this on purpose but rather I'm doing this out of a need for capacity and range. It's NISSAN's fault they didn't create logic and systems to protect the battery from an operator that just "uses" the car. I'm playing by their rules.

That being said - I do hope I drop my final bar before my warranty is up. We'll see what this summer has in store.

I scanned the thread and didn't see a single substantive response to the OP's real goal - "what can be done to shorten the life of the battery?"

I find it hard to believe that no one said to leave the car fully charged in the hottest weather - and the rest of the time as well as much as possible - and to DCFC it while the battery is hot. That is all the substantive advice we can give.

Back